Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idle increase when clutch is pressed.

Hi

Have a GSX750 1981. Was wondering (lately) the idling increases by 500rpm when every i press the clutch

:roll:

Check the routing & freeplay of the throdle cable

Comment

I did that...there is slack on the acc cable + the clutch cable is no way interfering with the acc able...

but let me recheck

Comment

Are you saying the bike is in neutral and when you squeeze the clush the idle goes up? Is your bike on the centerstand when you are doing this? Is the rear wheel turning while in neutral? Your clutch may be dragging.

Comment

Sounds to me as well as though the clutch is dragging a bit when engaged.. ie- clutch lever released. If the engine is in gear when this is noticed, I'd definitely say this is the case. If it does it in neutral, that may not be so sure. When the tranny's in neutral, you can release the clutch and obviously the rear wheel won't turn, but you are still rotating a handful of gears inside, just not connected to the output shaft or sprocket. I would not suspect that there would be 500 RPM's worth of resistance there though.

Just for a troubleshoot, adjust clutch cable a hair tighter and check it again to see if the 500 RPM drop is still there. What you want to do is to actually pull the clutch friction plates a tiny bit further apart when you pull the clutch lever. Just make sure that when you're all done that you don't have the clutch cable so tight that it makes the friction plates slip under load.

Comment

Re: Idle increase when clutch is pressed.

Originally posted by anikmankar
            Hi

Have a GSX750 1981. Was wondering (lately) the idling increases by 500rpm when every i press the clutch

:roll:
            It may be a simple case of thick oil. Colder weather causes things to stiffen up inside the tranny. It takes power to move the gear train, even in neutral. Do the symptoms go away or get less after warm up?

Comment

clutch

the clutch cable is routed between the carbs on its way to the motor, its not binding on the throttle assembly beween the carbs is it?

Comment

thanks guys

I noticed the RPM rise on a hot engine but I will check all that at get back.

Comment

Hi guys

Check the following...

1) Clutch Cable routing : seems ok
                  2) Slack in Clutch : had to remove the excess slack
                  3) Acc able : slack and routing ok.

but the problem persists..

1) In idle and neutral - all ok
                  2) In gear and clutch pressed - all ok
                  3) in gear, clutch pressed, raised the acc and left - engine raises till i put it back in neutral and clutch released.

Is this possible due to some airleak ---- but then that should happen even in neutral !!!

Comment

Not sure about this one and it's getting too late to make smart replies.
                    The clutch arm/pinion shaft may not be installed right, causing poor operation.
                    If similar to my bike and many other GS's, try this.
                    Provide slack and remove cable at the clutch arm coming out of the case.
                    The clutch arm should have a certain free range of travel. If like mine, push/rotate the arm towards the motor until it just stops under light finger pressure. The arm should be pointing to about 9:00. If not, loosen the arm and rotate it so it is. Provide enough slack so the cable end will go in without pulling the arm further in. Now take up MOST of the cable slack by adjusting the threaded cable holder and nut assembly by the case. Now make final slack adjustment at the bar/lever. There should be about 3mm of slack at the lever pinch point before pulling on the lever really begins actuating the clutch.
                    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Hi Guys

It was a very simple mistake....

I had routed the cable between 2nd and 3rd carb which was touching the acc cable and hence the engine rise when clutch was pressed

things are back to normal after i routed it between 1 and 2

Thanks again

Comment

Working...
                      X