gsxr conversion parts and upgrade answers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gsxr conversion parts and upgrade answers

In the next number of days Please feel free to ad your experience to this thread. Do not ask any questions here this is for answers by those of us who have done it already.

I can answer those who would like to convert or upgrade 82-83 750/1100 Katana's with 91-95 gsxr 750 parts and 91-98 gsxr 1100 parts. Maybe someone else can do the same with late 80's gixxer parts?, late 70's gs's and early 80's 1100E's?, and 1150's?

IF we keep this thread strickly facts and numbers it will be easy for someone to get the answers they need quick if Frank "sticky's" it.
    Last edited by katman; 05-11-2006, 04:29 AM.
    KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

GIXXER WHEELS FRONT END FOR EARLY 80'S 750/1100 GS's with alum swingarms.

The easiest conversion is early 90's 750/1100 gsxr. The rear wheel will work with the stock gs swingarm. The 91-95 750 and 91-98 1100 gsxr wheels will bolt on with your gs axle (20mm) You will need a 5/8 offset front sprocket and a 530 chain conversion to thread the chain between the frame and tire. A 6" wheel would require more offset and channelling of the frame (big job)

You will also need to use a different caliper and hanger to go with the gixxer rotor. the gs rotor will not work. the chain carrier on the other hand will work. All this is for a 5.5 wheel with a 180 tire. If you want to run a 170 tire you can use the 630 setup. As I found out today...the pirelli 180 might work with a 630 too as it is the narrowest 180 I have seen.

take your stock chain side spacer...knock off 5/8 of an inch (make a new one) and add what is needed on the other side and your done. If you go with a late 80's gixxer 4.5 or 5" rim you will need to do a chain conversion cuz the chain carrier is a 5 bolt pattern and won't work with your gs carrier. I am also not aware of any 5bolt 630 sprockets. the underslung gsxr caliper will need a new mount on the underside of the swingarm.

NOW...that said. you can''t run a radial rear with your bias ply front tire so you will need to replace it which requires a frontend swap. The gixxers of the above years are a bolt on for your gs. The 91/92's will need new steering stops but the later yrs will not. the 750 forks and 1100 forks are not interchangeable. the 750s are 29 1/2" long with a 54mm lower triple and 50 top. the 1100's are 30" long with 54 lower and 52top. The 1100's are longer but the clipons bolt on top so you lose an inch. If you are going for risers it doesn't matter. You can not bolt them under the top triple as they have no pinch bolts. You can however use zx9 or zx11 clipons.. they have pinch bolts and are 54mm.
    for extra length for the 750 forks you can use 2002 honda 954 triples. They are a bolt on but will need steering stops. If you are doing a Katana use the 750's cuz the 11's have a lot of cutting of plastic and bending of fairing frames to fit.
    It is always recomended to get the complete front end and don't try to match up different parts.....BEEN THERE DONE THAT. You will also need new brake lines as the gixxer lines are too short unless you find a frontend with two seperate lines then you are ok... unless you go with riser bars.

other front ends are possible but these are the easiest for the big tires and newer brakes.

A last word... the 180 tire will not fit between the seat rails like the stocker so you won't have the travel your shocks will give you. You will be bouncing off the sub-frame on the big bumps. you also lose a few inches going from a 19" to a 17" front wheel so a sloppy header system may be sparkin down the road. I run a V&H and have plenty of clearence.

In the pic on the right you can see it is tight.. you may need to massage the two supports just ahead of the tire. Another tip is too use the gs sprocket studs as they are shorter than the gsxrs. The gsxr bolts may give you clearence trouble with the swingarm in the most forward axle possition.
    Last edited by katman; 05-21-2006, 12:16 AM.
    KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

This is some info on brake parts interchangeability. This is by no means an exhaustive list but may be usefull if you are in a position to have to cobble together some pieces that didn't come with that assembly you scored on eBay.
      These are for the pre-SRAD '90's wheels like Katman talks about in the previous post. I put this info together by researching sites like BikeBandit, Dennis Kirk, etc. and looking up replacement part numbers to see what matched up. I have not personally tried these combos but they should work.

6 PISTON FRONT CALIPERS
      Hayabusa all years
      TL1000 all years
      Bandit 1200 '01-'03
      GSXR 1100 '93-'98
      1000 '01-'02
      750 '94-'99
      Kawasaki ZX7r '96-'03
      ZX9r '96-'01
      ZX6r '98-'02
      ZX12r '00-'03
      ZRX 1100/1200 '99-'03
      Get your front master cylinder from the same bikes

FRONT WHEEL ROTORS
      GSXR 600 '93
      750 '88-'95
      1100 '89-'98

REAR ROTORS
      Hayabusa all years
      RF900 all years
      GSXR 750 '88-'95
      1100 '89-'98
      Bandit 1200 '01-'05
      Katana 750 '98-'05
      Get your rear calipers/master cylinder from the same bikes
      You MIGHT be able to use the GS master, I didn't. I used a Hayabusa master which was cheaper to buy than the rebuild kit for the GS master. You'll have to swap out the acuator rod for the GS piece.

Comment

the bigest problem i had with the conversion was the rear brake master cylinder relocation. not a big problem though !!!! the plunger has to travel outside of the swingarm. there is a thread where outofcontrol did the mod just movin the master back on the frame. i did pretty much the same thing except i turned the master sideways. you can allways just buy new rearsets that have the master with them. but they are expensive. mine works fine. this is with the 2002 bandit swingarm. you will find that different model parts require different mods. i went with the bandit and an armless caliper because of the clean look. all of my upgrade was purchased in a package furnished by katman. he knows his stuff !!!! what you pay extra in shipping thru him you will save in trial and error!!!! he also provides excellent tech support. thanks again Rob for all you have done, it is greatly appreciated !!!!
        Last edited by Guest; 05-15-2006, 09:00 PM.

Comment

To Clarify Dukes post...this is only with a bandit 1200 swingarm conversion. this is not a problem associated with a gsxr wheel conversion as the wheels fit the stock swingarm.
          KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

If you do decide to use a different rear master cylinder you will most likely have to modify the mount on the frame. On the Hayabusa the bolts thread into the master, on the GS the bolts thread into the frame. Also the bolt holes are spaced closer together than the GS's. I utilized one of the existing bolt holes on the frame and ran a smaller bolt through it to match the threads on the new master. I then drilled a hole through the mount plate on the frame to match up the other hole on the master.
            The other issue is the actuator rod which needs to swapped out. None of this stuff is hard, it's just another step to have to go through. Works great, brakelight comes on, etc.

Comment

Thanks for the info katman. How 'bout some more pics.

Comment

Also, how much fabrication would be involved in replacing the 81 swingarm with a gixxer swingarm. is it a direct replacement?

Comment

I see this isn't going to work
                  KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

oops....sorry...i forgot about the no questions rule for this thread

Comment

Originally posted by katman
                      It is always recomended to get the complete front end and don't try to match up different parts.
                      you can use any 50mm clipons with the 91-95 750 gsxr front ends as well, 50mm clipons came with the following bikes:

R1 (98-05)
                      ZX10R (04-05)
                      RC51 all years
                      1000RR
                      Aprilia RS250, Mille (not R)
                      Ducati 750, 900S, Monster
                      GSXR 600 (2004-2005)
                      GSXR 750 (91-93, 00-05)
                      GSXR 1100 (93-98)
                      GSXR 1000 (01-02, 03-05)
                      GSX 1300R Hayabusa

Comment

We should ad to the lists 1992-1993 GSXR600W.
                        It shares the same rear rotor and rear wheel.
                        The front end will swap as well (I think it is the same as the gsxr1100)

It uses 50mm clip ons

Comment

A couple of tips for those doing front end swaps for more modern stuff

fork dia on busa & TL1000 are 50mm top & 55mm bottom but srad 600's/ 750's are 50mm top & 54mm bottom, a few people have fallen foul of this differance

busa/tl & srad wheels use the same dia wheel spindle & are interchangable but earlier gsxr slingshot & bandits use a smaller dia spindle, bandit & slingshot discs have a different ofsett & the later discs have almost no ofsett at all, some wheels have a speedo drive & some do not

early slingshot etc wheels are curved spoke & almost al the later stuff is straight spoke, sprocket carriers can be smaller on some of the later w/c wheels

nissin 4 pot calipers with 90mm mounting hole centres are the same as the triumph badged nissin's & can be swapped with the early srad etc 6 pots

rear end ....
                          slingshot 4.5" rear wheels are designed for a i60/170 tyre you really should have a 5.5" for a 180 busa rear's are 6" & will take a 190

its very tight getting a 180 in most stock gs swingarms but it can be done depending on the tyre maker ( the measurements vary)

A 530 heavy duty o-ring chain may not be any narrower than a normal 630 so there not always any clearance to be gained from changing, on some swaps the generaly smaller 530 sprockets can cause the chain to rub on the swingarm pivot, a good runner is needed here

Gsx sprocket carriers fit gsxr slingshot & bandit wheels

just some of the the things ive found & run foul of over the years hope it helps with your modifications :-D tone

Comment

[QUOTE=tone;732457]A couple of tips for those doing front end swaps for more modern stuff

nissin 4 pot calipers with 90mm mounting hole centres are the same as the triumph badged nissin's & can be swapped with the early srad etc 6 pots

Tone, have you tried the Nissin four pot calipers? Do they stop better than the six pots? I have the six pots which are a zillion times better than stock but still not as good as Yamaha four pots I have on my FZ1.

Comment

To get a little more specific.

gsxr 750 up to 95 have offset front rotors with speedo drive, 50mm top triples and 54mm bottom. and 20mm axles. 96 and up are strait rotors, no speedo drive and larger axles. They also have 50mm/54mm forks.

gsxr 1100 up to 98 all have speedo drives, 20mm axles and offset sprockets. triples are 52mm top 56mm lower from 91 to 94 and I believe in 95 the 11's went to the 50mm top triple.

Don't try to interchange upper and lower triples as there are many diff offesets on the various models and yrs.

I have had no problems with 180 tires on my stock swingarms. Dunlops are the widest I have found and Pirellis are about 1/4" narrower.

nissin calipers on bandits 1200 and gsxrs are all interchageable. the 2000 and up gsxr calipers are not but all the bandit yrs are. The badit forks are conventional but the axles, spacers and speedo drives are the same as gsxr inverted forks.

90-95 gsxr 750 wheels are S spoke as is 90-94 1100's. in 95 the 11's when to strait spoke. In 96 the srad 750's when to strait spoke, large axle, no speedo and flat rotors. All the bandit 1200 wheels can be interchanged with gsxr with 20mm axle yrs.

the 4.5" '88/'89 gsxr wheel has the same distance from hub bearing to rotor side bearing so there is no advantage to using it. Some say it is narrower than the 5.5 but in my experience its not. The only advantage is the narrower tire.

80-83 gs750/1100 hubs fit the gsxr and bandit 1200 wheels but are a couple mm lower profile as in closer to the wheel center offering more frame clearance for the chain. BUT.. you have to use the gs inner spacer with the gs hub. They are diff lenths. If you use the gsxr spacer with a gs hub will have bearing failure in a short order.

530 chains are quite a bit narrower unless you get the heavy duty busa/zx14 chains. Unless you are drag racing don't bother. Gixxers have much more power and torque than the gs and there chains are quite sufficient. You need to have at least a 16/17t front sprocket to make up for the size diff. Rule of thumb is "for every tooth gained or lost up front....gain or lose 3 teeth on the rear"

A lot of this info can be found on my site http://www.robwilton.com/tech.html
                              Last edited by katman; 12-02-2007, 02:50 PM.
                              KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Working...
                              X