X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seat building question

My seat pan is rusty beyond salvage.
    I have made a new pan out of aluminum, and my question is:
    How do I attach the foam/covering vinyl to the seat pan?
    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

JF

pop rivets
    GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Pop rivets !!!
      Well, that might be something to consider.
      Any other ideas?

JF

Comment

Spray glue to hold the foam then impact adhesive for the vinyl

Comment

Originally posted by derwood View Post
          pop rivets
          how do you secure foam to ali with pop rivets? upholsterers spray glue is what you need mate
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
            how do you secure foam to ali with pop rivets? upholsterers spray glue is what you need mate
            there is an inexpensive tool , it is often called a "rivet gun", you also need a drill with an appropriately sized bit. possibly some small washers so the rivet heads dont pull through the vinyl/leather covering. If you can get a look at a Corbin seat, that is how they do it. oh, and use aluminum rivets.
            GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

post pics, if you dont mind. im doing the exact same thing.

Comment

Usually, the adhesion between foam and pan does not really matter much. Some spray adhesive should work there. What really holds it all together is the vinyl cover. In this case, it should be long enough to wrap under the pan and get held in by rivets every 2 or 3 inches.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by jed.only View Post
                  post pics, if you dont mind. im doing the exact same thing.
                  here, i found this....http://www.fjr1300.info/howto/foam-ectomy.html
                  GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Honda rivets from CB400F

Take a look on EBAY or a fiche for 75-77 Honda CB400F. They use chrome rivets that are inserted through the vinyl through a hole drilled in pan and then the legs are spread out to secure the cover this is of course in addition to the standard attachment method. If you don't mine the look of chrome buttons around the edge of seat it may work for ya?

Comment

Originally posted by jfsebastian View Post
                      My seat pan is rusty beyond salvage.
                      I have made a new pan out of aluminum, and my question is:
                      How do I attach the foam/covering vinyl to the seat pan?
                      Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

JF
                      I'd be interested in the final solution to this problem. Please post it here with your ideas of what worked and what didn't. I also want to know exactly how you made the seat pan. I'd think aluminum wouldn't be stiff enough to support the weight. But if it works I have a seat pan that needs to be replaced.

thanks

Comment

Got this reply from another forum that I am a member of.

Velcro.

JF

Comment

Originally posted by jfsebastian View Post
                          Got this reply from another forum that I am a member of.

Velcro.

JF

I wouldn't use velcro. First, it won't stick to your seat pan for long. Second, velcro is for kids who can't tie their shoes. Noel is a great guy, but some of his "methods" are a little, well, too far on the "cheap and easy" side of things. Maybe even considered crude by some.

If rivets or little button head bolts are ok with you, here's what I've done.

You can read a little more here:

I've done the same thing for my seat build on the XS650. Works really well, easy, and easily removable and replacable.

Comment

I get the point, and really like the bike above, but my dilemma is that the seat pan is flat as the earth(!). Nothing to anchor the rivets in on the lower side. Had it like your first, but decided I wanted a slimmer look since I have quite thick foam to save my ass. Will probably try to do another seat once I get the welder, but for now, it´s only screwing, rivets, velcro or any other creative ideas.
                            But a very nice tip nonetheless.

This is becoming a very interesting thread.

JF

Comment

Originally posted by derwood View Post
                              there is an inexpensive tool , it is often called a "rivet gun", you also need a drill with an appropriately sized bit. possibly some small washers so the rivet heads dont pull through the vinyl/leather covering. If you can get a look at a Corbin seat, that is how they do it. oh, and use aluminum rivets.
                              haha funny matey, i was talking about the foam not the vinyl. saying that i still wouldnt use rivets as they will rip out sooner or later.
                              my seat is covered in black suede and is glued down with upholsterers adhesive. has been there for 5 years now without any problem
                              1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Working...
                              X