Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New rider. GS550E Owner - UK

Hey,

I'm Luke, 34 years old and living in Garstang, Lancashire, England. I have recently passed my full Motorbike test after driving a Yamaha SR125 for 2 years on Learner plates.

I've gone out an purchased a 1982 Suzuki GS550E and thought I would join this forum to get some more information on running, servicing and keeping these machines in good order. Despite being new to Motorbikes, I am a classic car enthusiast and love tinkering with anything mechanical.

Are there may owners on here from the UK?

I pick the GS550E up on Saturday, so Will post a few pictures on here!

Cheers, Luke

Hi Luke, and welcome.

Lots of knowledge here - use the search feature, or just plain ask.

Looking forward to pics!
    1980 GS550ET

Comment

Welcome to the site, Luke.
      Feel free to throw in a couple pics of your car restos as well.
      Lots of four wheel gearheads here.
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Ah cool, thanks for the Welcomes, will add some GS550 pics on Saturday when I pick her up - cannot wait!

Comment

Welcome Luke! What a beautiful town you are from!

Looking forward to pics when you pick her up.

I lived in England from 1989-1993...over in Essex...Braintree then Bury St Edmunds and finally Newmarket. I worked on RAF Wethersfield & Mildenhall during my stay.

My wife likes Arsenal Football Club for some reason...I would imagine you like one of those northern clubs...Manchester or Liverpool or perhaps Leeds.

Anyway...looking forward to pics!

Ed
          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Hey Ed - so you know Garstang? That's cool - its not generally well known outside of Lancashire!

I'm a Preston North End supporter!

Heres a pic of the bike from the advert. Collect on Saturday morning!

bike2.jpg

Comment

Hey Luke,

I never made it up your way North. But I do like England and the beautiful countryside. I liked having pints of milk delivered to our home. Everything that is quaint about living in a small village was so wonderful.

But about your bike...Sweet! I love the colour! Please post moar pics to include nice backgrounds in the mix.

Ed
              GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
              GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
              Originally posted by GSXR7ED
              Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Great looking bike. Nice colour scheme including the blacked out wheels.
                Interesting that the tailpiece is similar to the one from a North American GS650E/G.
                Rare to see a stock exhaust exhaust in such excellent condition.
                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Hi Luke,

We are here, you can find more of us Brits on U.K. Suzuki GS Owners Facebook. Nice choice of bike, my first GS was the wire wheeled 550, alas I had to leave it in Australia.

Welcome to the madness.

Greg
                  Suzuki GS1000 1978
                  Honda CB400F 1976

Keep smiling it makes the management nervous.

Comment

There are GSR members scattered across UK, so please be patient and some will show up and view your thread.

As was mentioned by others, if you have questions on the bike this is THE best place to get answers.

Many are available through the search tool, but if you still need answers, just look for the appropriate forum topic and ask them.

Otherwise, join the discussions in the alternate forums.....campfire is open to most things, and vortex requires an application to join, and there you may find a bit of turmoil. along with hotter discussions.
                    "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                    Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Originally posted by luke83g View Post

I'm a Preston North End supporter!
                      Well some things can't be helped I suppose.....

While your new bike is not in standard fettle it does look well looked after in the photo and has had some money spent on it by the looks of things. Enjoy it, 550s are great bikes.
                      79 GS1000S
                      79 GS1000S (another one)
                      80 GSX750
                      80 GS550
                      80 CB650 cafe racer
                      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

HI and welcome.

Not so sure about your choice of football team but then we aren't all perfect. Nice 550 though. Will be a bit heavier than your 125 you have been riding. Enjoy.

Comment

Love the colour scheme...as Steve mentioned, it looks very much like a North American 650E.

Seems to be sporting oversized tyres, or is that the blackout making that happen? If indeed those are fat tires for the wheels, you may find the handling to be a tad sluggish compared to the narrower, stock tyre.
                          '83 GS650G
                          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Hey everyone, thanks for the welcomes, seems a great forum! Bike has been running well during its first week. Wondered if anyone had some advice on panniers and or top boxes, but I will post in the appropriate sub forum about that. Lovely bikes. Here's another pic.. mms_20170415_134329.jpg

Comment

Will take some better pics at the weekendIMG_20170415_141611_781.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X