Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

82 GS850 will be my first bike... opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS850 will be my first bike... opinions?

Is this a good first learner bike? I have driven 4-wheelers, bicycles, etc but I have yet to be on a motorcycle.

You are going to get a flood of responses saying that is this THEE most durable, comfortable, all around GS ever made.

quick answer...it's a great choice, first bike or not! Search the forums, I think there is about a gszillion posts favoring the 850G.

have fun!

Comment

Its a bit big and heavy for a first bike, maybe. It has linear throttle response and steady stable handling.

It should work ok for you.
      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

What do you weigh? How tall are you?

This bike is a great starter bike. It will haul... but not accidentally. It is a little heavy, which I why I asked about your size. It is my first bike, and I think it's great.

Comment

230-240lbs 6ft even

Originally posted by Mr. Brown View Post
          What do you weigh? How tall are you?

This bike is a great starter bike. It will haul... but not accidentally. It is a little heavy, which I why I asked about your size. It is my first bike, and I think it's great.

Comment

In my opinion, it's a little bit on the large side of the spectrum to learn on for a first timer.

don't get me wrong, people have first learned to ride on bikes of 1000cc and up, some have managed to do it rather sucessfully, but I think for most new riders a lighter and smaller bike is probably the best route to take.

but if you are intent on learning on that bike, or any bike for that matter, please be mindful at all times it can hurt you! damaged parts can be replaced, you can't...

In regards to a GS850, I can't ever see owning one.
            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I see you own 2...not 1 right?

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
              In regards to a GS850, I can't ever see owning one.

Comment

Originally posted by Eadams View Post
                I see you own 2...not 1 right?
                Correct...

De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Good choice!

My first bike was an Kawasaki EX500. It was a tough bike to get through the very cramped driving test layout, I went through it over and over for 6 months after I failed the first test. I passed with the Kawasaki, but after I got my GS1100G I went back to the layout and tried it. IT WAS A PIECE OF CAKE!
                  It's kinda dumb to choose a light weight as your first bike, if you really want a big bike. You did good!
                  "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                  1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                  1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                  1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

my 82 850L is my first bike cant really go wrong i love mine. lots of power, smooth, handles nice, rides great looks great.

should be a fine choice even if it is a bit heavy, it will still stretch out your arms when your twisting it hard

Comment

My first road bike too (though I raced moto-X for years).
                      6'1" - 190lbs.
                      If you plan on carrying it on your back, it's a bit heavy.

Is it a good starter bike? Depends on the color
                      McLoud
                      '79 GS850
                      `98 GSF1200 Bandit
                      sigpic
                      http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...php?groupid=13

Comment

Mine is my third bike. I had a Honda CB900C before it. I like the Suzuki much better. The Honda was quicker, but the parts are hard to find and the few available from Honda will make your eyes pop when you see the price. Suzuki still has quite a few parts available and the prices are reasonable.
                        Once you get all the little bugs worked out you will love it. This website is the greatest thing since the six pack. The guys here have a wealth of knowledge you won't find anywhere else.
                        Good luck and enjoy!

Comment

I think you made a great choise. Here's mine and I like it alot.

If you choose something smaller it won't be long before you'll be itching for a bigger bike.
                          But good luck in whatever bike you choose.

Comment

I think its a matter of comfort.....you're a big guy so a 850 is probably suitable. My first bike was a 82 CB650SC Nighthawk.......it weighed a ton, I was 15, and maybe 125 lbs soaked! Too much bike if you ask me back then.........

I owned a CBR400RR Japanese edition while stationed in Sasebo shortly after joining the Navy.......I weighed 185 and that bike was perfect!!!!

When I moved to Hawaii I traded it for a ZXR750 that fit me well, power, size, etc......should never have sold it!

Now I'm building this 550EF........I think it would be a GREAT starter bike for someone who has never ridden before.

My buddy's TL1000 can't handle me in the corners..........its a matter of how you ride and how comfortable you are on your bike.....sit on it A LOT!! Practice at slow speeds A LOT!! slow speed turns/maneuvers are the hard ones........

have fun, ride safe, be smart, drive defensively!

Comment

Good answer...............

Comment

Working...
                              X