GS1100 - washer ubder the center clutch hub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100 - washer ubder the center clutch hub

When install the back the center clutch hub, there is a washer with oiling groove under the center clutch hud.
    I know that the groove side must be facing inside the engine when install it.
    My question is whether I need to place this washer with the oiling groove on top of the two screw holes.
    I found a good picture on ebay to show this question.

Doesn't matter.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
      Doesn't matter.
      I'm glad I took a pic of mine (As removed)

That is how you put it back right Bill?

Comment

This is from the 83 Kat manual;the shim is under the grooved washer. The thrust shim is not shown on any of the parts fiche. But the manual does list 4 different part numbers.

I just check Flatout; they still list all 4 of those numbers

Apparently the primary gear spacer is not as deep on the 83 v.s. earlier 1100's
        Last edited by posplayr; 01-18-2010, 12:55 AM.

Comment

hmmm, mine didnt have the second washer

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
            hmmm, mine didnt have the second washer
            83 1100 only ED/ESD and SD (I think).

The clutch in that pic should have been close to factory fresh. It was rattling and only has 15K miles on the speedo.

Comment

Why I would ask this question?
              I found the firbre clutch dsic are not much oill on them when making a replacement work on a GS1150.
              But I find the firbre clutch dsic my 81 Gs1100 is more oily.
              so that I am thinking the reason of the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                83 1100 only ED/ESD and SD (I think).

The clutch in that pic should have been close to factory fresh. It was rattling and only has 15K miles on the speedo.
                Mine has 24k miles on it and rattles major. The material they used to make the heavy springs was not that great I think.

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
                  Mine has 24k miles on it and rattles major. The material they used to make the heavy springs was not that great I think.
                  I just slapped in a gorilla hub I had laying around and problem solved. Oh yea had to tighten the clutch hub nut as well

Comment

Originally posted by Addy Leung View Post
                    Why I would ask this question?
                    I found the firbre clutch dsic are not much oill on them when making a replacement work on a GS1150.
                    But I find the firbre clutch dsic my 81 Gs1100 is more oily.
                    so that I am thinking the reason of the difference.
                    so you have a thrust shim on your 81? Was it replaced from an 83?

I just checked my 1150 manual and it explicitly shows the shim under the grooved washer with the groove in

I would set it up that way regardless

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                      I'm glad I took a pic of mine (As removed)

That is how you put it back right Bill?
                      Sh!t! I put the basket in backwards!
                      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                      X