No announcement yet.

Super Series R/R Market Survey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So anything with 600+ number could be used on our bikes... is it me or is there no prices on that site?
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Jim, I would be in for one if you decided to make/market/sell them! A boost in power AND fuel efficiency? Wahoo!
      Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that!

Comment

I might be up to requiring one by the time you get it designed, but would really depend on $$$ conversion to Aus and shipping costs... might blow it all out of the water for me...

Quick edit... forgot to say your idea's a good one...
        Last edited by pete; 06-07-2010, 03:19 PM. Reason: Forgot
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I'd take one, or a kit, if the numbers favor such.
          Dogma
          --
          O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
          '80 GS850 GLT
          '80 GS1000 GT
          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I will take one as well
            That is if it will work on my bike.
            I have spent 600 plus dollars in preebay days for oem reg rects and its no fun buying an item that is going to fail

so Um not to be stupid but will it work on my bike and should one get a new stator as a baseline
            I assume a bad stator can take out a reg rect of course and maybe that is wrong.

Comment

More than likely I will not be pursuing this design because as previously mentioned there are at least three manufacturer making them.

I called Cycle Electric

Cycle Electric

http://www.cycleelectricinc.com/

and checked with the engineer. The 80 V/5000 RPM = 16V/KRPM output of the Suzuki is very comparable to their series regulator design. The only problem is that the R/R is rated for 50 amps and it is large.

600 series are all the same size but with different mounting and connector options

Size is 4.75"x 3.4" x 1.5" (LxWxH). In the pics you
              For comparison the Electrosport is about
              3.5"x3.0"x1.25"

These units are available and are under $200 from dealers but not directly from Cycle Electric
              This is the same unit. The mounting plate attaches to the R/R and may or may not be included in that price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320504704689&viewitem= &sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

I have a line on a Compu-Fire unit which is also 3 phase Series and rated at 40 amps so it looks a little smaller and I found an E-bay dealer that is offering a better deal than you can find online anywhere (that I have seen). These guys are based in CA. Still waiting to hear back on the size

CompuFire Regulator for 40 Amp 3-Phase Charging Systems

Dennis Kirk Part #: 209632
              Manufacturer Part #: 55402

Also checking on at third one but not sure they will sell the R/R separately.
              Last edited by posplayr; 06-07-2010, 07:56 PM.

Comment

OK Boys and Girls the
                CompuFire Regulator for 40 Amp 3-Phase Charging Systems
                Dennis Kirk Part #: 209632
                Manufacturer Part #: 55402
                Your Price: $194.99

Low Price Guarantee (details)

is 3.75"x2.5"x1.25"

I'm getting one for $180 shipped from an outfit in IA, but they will drop ship to SB. If anybody is interested in a group buy he said he would drop $15 off the price for 10 people but with shipping I'm not sure it is worth the effort. I'm not going to organize a group buy, so if anyone else is interested I'll forward the contact info, maybe you can get him to come down a little more on price.

There have been a lot of development in high efficency AC to DC power conversion for all kinds of electronics devices. The key approach to reducing power is to get rid of the direct Full wave diode bridge (Like teh OE and Electrosport have). Typical drops are about 2 volts times what ever current is being supplied (say 15 amps so 2x15=30 watts). Shunt type regulator which shorts the phases makes that even worse.

The newer designs implement the diode bridge with Power MOSFET's which reduce the forward diode drops down to maybe 0.2V @15amps (0.2x15=3 watts) , so the power savings are significant. Unfortunately the FHA0012A type regulators are still SHUNT type and they short out the stator to reduce the power to the load. This is like dimming the lights in your house by shorting the wall outlet with two screwdrivers . The lights dim but you overload the house wiring unless you blow a fuse. SHUNT is very bad unless you are talking about small currents which we are not.

So a natural extension of full wave rectifiction with MOSFET's is to actually do series regulation all in the magic of timing the turn on turn off of the devices to acheive both rectifcation and regulation at the same time. Power dissappation drops significantly and the stator only has to supply that which is required for the load.

These devices can be made very robust in terms of voltage and current capacity with very low drop out. The are ideal for high output at minimum RPM.

Here is a brief overview of power switching. The final figure is what we have on the GS charging stator/rotor/Rectifier (regulator not shown). The low power timing circuitry is all that is missing.

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_...html#03222.png

So given the 40 amp capacity and small form factor of the Compu-fire device, I'm assuming this will be a very robust design and even exceeds all fo the original goals I set out for my design (save for a 6th wire). So this should be a direct bolt on for any GS to solve most of the shunting over heating issues and burning wire/connector issues (stator side at least).

If you look up the parts or are studying the different rotors/stator combinations, the Compu-fire 55402 is a general purpose 3 phase SERIES R/R that works with the 3 phase 18 pole aftermarket stator and rotors that Compu-fire make for HD's.

It should work on almost any metric bike as the current capacity is more than any stock OE and aftermarket designs. It should even work for 12 pole designs as long they are 3 phase (most all are)

I think we should end the poll, I'll start another thread after I get the device and do a comparision between FET Shunt and this device. I have a current clamp to put on the stator leads to see how it differs on the stator side and then estimate the HP savings.

Comment

Currently satisfied with my FET regulators, will see how they turn out.

Please continue development or whatever you choose, it would be nice to have an alternative if the FETs prove to have problems of their own.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ssrr

I would get one of yours. Too bad there are replacements. But I still need to sell some GS Parts.
                    G
                    sigpic1983 1100 Katana - soon to be turbo Busa powered.
                    2007 GSXR1K-Sold-But not forgotten.
                    Have 2X ZG14 engine's for '81 GS750E project.
                    '82 GS750E frame is TITLED awaiting GSXR1127/12B engine and '81 1100E slowly being built.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      Currently satisfied with my FET regulators, will see how they turn out.

Please continue development or whatever you choose, it would be nice to have an alternative if the FETs prove to have problems of their own.

If you dont run in the 5K-7K RPM range for sustained periods( 30-45 min) the FET/HONDA/SHUNT R/R should be alright even if the stator is getting hotter and causing more load than needed. 20% higher output power for stator touted by Electrosport makes it worse
                      Last edited by posplayr; 06-08-2010, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gmansyz View Post
                        I would get one of yours. Too bad there are replacements. But I still need to sell some GS Parts.
                        G
                        The Compu-Fire is a proven production design and apparently pretty current technology (last 5-10 years at least) as well. I really have no interest in becoming a power circuits engineer

Edit: I think the design is probably less than 2 years old as it us listed as part of thier new products.
                        Last edited by posplayr; 06-14-2010, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                          They still using a stator in those new fangled things??? Sheesh you'd think they can pony up the duckets to put alternators on the Busa and Gixxers they could have done the dual sport riders the same favor.
                          Well, the permanent magnet type inside the engine still works when the engine is partially underwater, and is pretty well isolated from gravel...
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                            Well, the permanent magnet type inside the engine still works when the engine is partially underwater, and is pretty well isolated from gravel...
                            With this Series R/R the GS's PM stator should be more efficent than even an alternator. For the same power delivered:
                            • There is no heat loss is friction (no bearing and no brushes)
                            • No field windings to charge
                            • Less power loss in the rectifier diodes.
                            Last edited by posplayr; 06-08-2010, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Would be interested in seeing a schematic for this if you have it.
                              '81 GS750E - Gone but fondly remembered.
                              '03 DR650
                              sigpic

Comment

I don't know if it's too late or if it will help, but here's a link to the stock HD regulator for $129

https://www.zanottimotor.com/shopping/pLookUp.php and then search part number 74505-02.

Comment

Working...
                                X