Steering head bearing race removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering head bearing race removal

Any tricks or special tools I can use to remove the lower steering head bearing race? I've tried heating the steering head and can just get a punch to catch an edge, but not enought to hit it hard enough to remove it. I can weld and fabricate something. Any ideas will be appreciated. (I searched several of these forums and didn't find anything.) Rick

WERA Racer,

You will need to fab a 'tool' that will reach over and catch the lip of the lower race. I used a piece of rebar used in reinforcing concrete. It is super hard and won't flex..besides I had some on hand. Using a cutoff wheel in a die grinder, Cut a piece 18" long and put in vise and bend to a slight angle on one end . After it is bent slightly go to the grinder and grind a flat with a corner to catch the edge of the race . Give it a rap with hammer and it should pop right out. You will have to work your way around driving it out evenly. Good luck.
    Terry
    1980 Suzuki GS550E, 1981 Suzuki GS 1100EX all stock, 1983 Suzuki GS 1100EX modified, 1985 GS1150E, 1998 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1971 Kawasaki Mach lll 500 H1, 1973 Kawasaki Mach lV 750 H2.

Comment

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Comment

Many thanks, guys!

Comment

Hi guys, how well do you think this would work? Has anyone used theses?
          1979 GS850G
          2004 SV650N track bike
          2005 TT-R125 pit bike
          LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Forgot to add the link

1979 GS850G
            2004 SV650N track bike
            2005 TT-R125 pit bike
            LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

Comment

Use the drimel.
              sigpic

82 GS850
              78 GS1000
              04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
              .................________-|___\____
              ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

run a weld bead on the race and when it cools should just about drop out. Be carefull, this is one case where full penetration is not a good thing.
                Feel The Pulse!

1982 GS1100E with Tracy one piece body
                2007 Roadstar Midnight Warrior

ebay cntgeek

Comment

Don't have a welder and could use the dremel but I'd like to skin this cat using race bearing drivers.
                  1979 GS850G
                  2004 SV650N track bike
                  2005 TT-R125 pit bike

Comment

Originally posted by Flatline_Racing View Post
                    run a weld bead on the race and when it cools should just about drop out. Be carefull, this is one case where full penetration is not a good thing.
                    I've HAD to use a welder at times over the years to get them out ....

Most of the time I use an old motorcycle motor mount bolt ...One of the ones that are a foot long ...In the olden days you would get a new bolt with a crash bar set ... I was thinking every motorcyclist had a motor mount bolt in the tool box to use as a drift ....

David

Hazardous Toy inc

Comment

I've had wheel bearing races that wouldn't come out in a press with a 10ton jack bypassing trying to push it out. I put a couple beads of weld right around it and it fell out on it's own.. welding works wonders but be careful to not heat up the head too much.

Comment

Working...
                      X