Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thicker piston rings

Hello all.

Have any of you blokes out there ever fitted non OE rings to any of your bikes?

this is the situation: busy redoing top end due to a base gasket- tear drop o-ring leak on the stator side. My bores are good and intend to only have them honesd. Been looking around for a set of standard rings- but to no avail locally. Bloke in the machine shop we use here for work recons he can match up a set of rings but they are thicker, which would mean having to cut the ring grooves on the piston wider to accomodate the new thicker piston rings. I am aware that doing this will result in a bit more friction which could make the engine rev a little slower and may rob a pit of power.

Question is have any of you had any real experience with anything like this?

Thanks in advance.

Yep, out here on the edge of Empire we have to do that sort of thing occasionally.
    I recently machined a set of GS1000 pistons which were 70.5 to suit Toyota Starlet rings. 70.5 is std for the Starlet. !.5,1.5,3.0 instead of 1.25,1.25,2.5 widths.
    Good quality rings at a very good price.

For a road motor I'd have no hesitation recommending it if OE parts are rare or too expensive.

Another amusing example - Nissan LD28 Diesel rings in a Benelli 650 twin - probably better quality rings than orginal.

Comment

What bike?
      I don't think that you would notice any difference in slightly thicker rings, don't you have any mates traveling that could slip a set in their pocket for you?
      At the end of the day being in Africa you've got to do what you got to do.
      You in Zim or Zam?
      sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Have you had a chat to Dave Folb at Kempton Park Motorcycles, he has about Three million Rands worth of stock hidden in the back of his shop for all the UJM's, he buys up batch lots of all the OEM stuff from the dealers.
        Get hold of him on 011 970 2195 or give the guys at Primrose Motorcycles a shout, nice bunch of guys, they are on 011 828 9091/2 they are in the main Rd through Primrose just a block or two opposite side of the Checkers Center
        Otherwise if that fails, get hold of Suzuki Springs, the importers, now owned by Les van Breda on 011 815 6726 they at 61 Second Street Springs

As for the rings, yes you can match up, with the downsides you have mentioned, although on a street bike, you won't even notice the difference.

The fundi's on motorcycle engineering all the years is a crowd called Blue Print Engineering in Jhb, maybe give them a shout and ask their opinion find them at 246 Marshall St JHB, Tel: 011 334 5846 or 011 334 7750

Hope That helps

Comment

Fundi, He ni swahilli?
          sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Fiat Palio (?) rings fit exactly. They are made by Hastings and the number is 2C5051. They both use a 70mm piston with exactly the same ring sizes, even the end gap is correct. If I've got it wrong about the Palio (it might be the Uno, my memory is struggling - I wrote the rest down) your local Fiat guys should be able to help anyway.

http://www.perfectengine.com/Hasting...has-2c5051.htm

79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

If you make the rings fit the pistons and you have the correct ring gap why not?
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks for the Fiat ring info HH - but here in NZ Fiats are a little thin on the ground. I think the last model imported was the 128.....
                Japanese stuff on the other hand is readily available.

Comment

Hi All,

thanks all for the replies!

ha- thanks Fly boy for the info - I Nwill give them a shout. nice to know that some one has gone through the loops and has had the experience of them already.

The bike is an 1981 GS850GX.

I'm in ( malema land) -SA at the minute for the now, but am planning on heading my way back to Bulawayo in the near future- Following a short visit approx 2 weeks ago to attend my grandmothers funeral, things are coming right there and it is still a good life, just a bit of ducking and diving to be done to keep yourself under the radar - so to speak , but the place is so much better now that the US Dollar is used as the local currency - and the really really cool thing is that the new "toll" gate - motorbikes dont pay!

Comment

Thicker piston rings

Unless the rings are significantly wider, there will be no problem. The increased mass of the slightly wider rings will be insignificant to the total piston and rod mass.

The use of slightly wider rings will allow your machinist to re-cut the ring lands to correct for any land wear. As long as the end gap is correct on fitting, you will be good to go. I was smiling over the reference to Fiat Ono as they are not evident in this part of the world but used to work on several when in Vanuatu.

When I ran the machine shop for a large West Coast operation, we used to fit rings in this manner frequently to solve lack of supply problems, in many cases substituting Toyota rings into Fiats. (VBG)

People living in the "big countries" never have to solve the kinds of issues with which you are dealing but the other side of that coin is that you know how to adapt.

Good luck with your repairs and ride safe!

HIH

Norm

Comment

Hey Smith, what's your advice for a family of four thinking of visiting Zim for safari and falls trip.

Comment

Lovely time of the year currrently to go- it will be hot but the main rains have not started in full swing yet.

if it is your first time up there recommend you go with a proper tour/travel company especially if you are travelling with children.

like any travel the usual do and dont's apply and keep your wits about you, you should be fine. Locals are friendly and if you have a sense of humour as well you will enjoy thouroughly.

there is lots to see and do, elephant rides , the falls, bridge swing, river boat cruises, sunset and booze cruises and my favorites of favorites - Tiger Fishing! Great wild life to see in thier natural enviroment, good food , lots of good beer............. good times!

just also keep in mind it is going to be expensive- the tourism industry is dire there and everywhere will be a ripp off, but i try to see as "tax" for being in africa.

enjoy! it is a magic place and very sureal- you will get to genuinely see and feel what David Livingston saw and felt.

Comment

Working...
                        X