No announcement yet.

1983_GS750E - Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOL,,,,I wouldn't go back and redo it all again, even if someone paid me...hehehehehe

The valve cover I might address one more time, I will see, it's not the best, but I don't think it will turn out any better, but I will give it a few more hours and see....

I figure in a few weeks, I should be at a point of putting things back together.....ohhhh I really hope so......

Comment

GK, it does look good. I was referring to when you had the lettering painted lol. But hey, you've made so much more progress than I this last month, your due for a break so I can cach up. So yeah, like you need to really work that cover over and over again until the shine is 6" deep!
      1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
      1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
      2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Only 6 inch's deep ehhhh....OK, I'll get right on it.....LOL

But as I said I do hope to get the frame ground down, primed and painted in the next few, and hopefully I can start some assembly.....

It will be nice to see things going back onto the bike, and not scattered all over the basement, in ziploc bags, and coolers....

The temps are going to mild for the first part of the upcoming week, so I will see if some paint can be thrown down..

Comment

I'm with you there. If I can get a good two week stretch at home, I really think i can get to the point of reassembly as well.

Last one to fire his bike is a rotten egg! Lol....
          1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

Frame has been ground !!!!!

Well tonight, I figured it's time I tried my hand at grinding......

So with the 20 dollar grinder I picked up last week, a fresh metal grinding wheel, safety glasses, and a hope and a prayer, I turned on that puppy and put the disc to the metal......sparks were a flying everywhere, metal dust all over the place, and I forgot to put on a face mask, but hey the bike is more important than my lungs.

After about maybe an hour, going at it, and going from the hard grinding disc to a flapper disc, that has just sandpaper on it, a shot of primer on the bare metal, and after the dust settled, I think I got it to look somewhat descent, well at least passable in my eyes.

Heck if I really want to be picky I might spread a bit of JB Weld on the one seam, just to smooth it out a bit more, but you know, I think it looks pretty good....

If I leave it like this, a good wash down, maybe a shot of primer, I will be able to hit it with paint, and WOW,,,,I will be able to start hanging parts back on it......... woooooooo hooooooo........

now for the pictures

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
              Well, painted the bracket, and put back the parts that go onto it....another small bit completed...

I would seriously recommend replacing that stock RR. Those ones are infamous for going wrong. They have a very small heatsink & are tucked out of the way taking heat from the engine.
              I have had experience of 2 of these bikes & three stock RR's & all eventually had the same problem. It goes bad & give you 16-19v on the throttle. First you'll know is when you blow a headlight bulb or the battery boils dry....

I am a lot more worried about the Ignitor though, they are both rare & expensive & whilst it didn't die on the bikes I had experience of it doesn't mean to say that it won't die on yours from being run at 19v...
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

What a difference GK. That looks fabulous!
                1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja

Comment

Way to go GK... Grinding is such relaxing work.... smooths all my tensions away... that and the Metallica playing way to loud in the back ground....

Keep it up brother.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                    I would seriously recommend replacing that stock RR. Those ones are infamous for going wrong. They have a very small heatsink & are tucked out of the way taking heat from the engine.
                    I have had experience of 2 of these bikes & three stock RR's & all eventually had the same problem. It goes bad & give you 16-19v on the throttle. First you'll know is when you blow a headlight bulb or the battery boils dry....

I am a lot more worried about the Ignitor though, they are both rare & expensive & whilst it didn't die on the bikes I had experience of it doesn't mean to say that it won't die on yours from being run at 19v...
                    Thanks for the advice, I will look into it, if they are not expensive, maybe pick one up from some where. I have never had an electrical issue with this bike, no blow fuses, lights, headlights, or fried batteries, maybe I have been lucky this far.

Comment

Looks good. Are you painting the frame black?

Comment

Originally posted by Sci85 View Post
                        What a difference GK. That looks fabulous!
                        Thanks

A heck of lot better than the crappy weld was....that is for sure, glad enough material was there so I could grind it down smooth, I should have taken a few pics along the way, but I didn't want the metal dust getting into the camera, so the pics came at the finish....

Originally posted by Redneck View Post
                        Way to go GK... Grinding is such relaxing work.... smooths all my tensions away... that and the Metallica playing way to loud in the back ground....

Keep it up brother.

Paul
                        Actually the radio was on, heard some AC/DC, Rush, and Ozzy, between the changes of discs, other than that I have no idea, all I heard was the buzzing of the grinder.....

Remember I am doing this in my garage, it's an attached house so we share one common wall with the neighbor, hopefully I did not **** him off too much to night, well it's the most noise I have made in a long time...

But I am glad it's over with, and I can finally move on......

Comment

The frame looks MUCH better GK!
                          Once painted it will look like it's supposed to be that way.

Bruce.

Comment

Originally posted by brslk View Post
                            The frame looks MUCH better GK!
                            Once painted it will look like it's supposed to be that way.

Bruce.

That's the plan.....LOL

Only those who really know a GS will notice something odd.....

Everyone else, well, as they say, who cares......

Comment

Well done Dood! Looking fine. As I said before once the pipes are on you won't notice it. If you want to hide it even more you can add some "case guards' which are not a bad idea anyway since these engines stick out a bit and its easy to crack a case if it goes over. I have them on mine.

What paint are you going to use? I think SVSooke used appliance paint which I believe is pretty hard and durable. I think some guys recommend an epoxy. I've used plain old Rustoleum and it seemed to work fine. Cheap too

Well you are getting close to getting it back together. You must be getting excited. Once you have the frame painted it will really get you going, trust me...but don't rush still a few months to riding season despite how the weather looks these days.

How's things with the head and case? Just wondering if you figured how to drill at the right angle

Cheers
                              Spyug

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
                                Thanks for the advice, I will look into it, if they are not expensive, maybe pick one up from some where. I have never had an electrical issue with this bike, no blow fuses, lights, headlights, or fried batteries, maybe I have been lucky this far.
                                I would say so

One bike went through it's 2nd one at 35k or so. The other lost it's first one at 14k...

Try a Honda Forman FET RR. About $30 on Ebay & you are very unlikely to have issues with it... You will probably need to relocate it due to size though.
                                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                                X