X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

paint drying....

WOW this is so much fun....

Talk about watching paint dry..........

I have everything curing for the moment, on the other hand it's nice to have a bit of time off.....

Still no time at the shop for the engine

I think I have cleaned and polished everything I can, I did remove the steering bearings, ordered new ones, pick them up tomorrow, and will at least put those back on

I was thinking of re taping my electrical, any tape will do, or should there be something specific, just going over the existing tape, as the old stuff is good, I just want to freshen it up, would hockey tape be OK ? or a better electrical tape ? not the cheap dollar store stuff

Ohhh ya the caliper pistons are out, so I can paint those probably tomorrow,,,,nuts,,,then it's watching more paint dry......

ohhh the insanity...............

Comment

Dang GK. You are getting it done man! Sheesh, do any of you guys work! I'm painting two little things today and you got a whole bike painted already!

Seriously though, I envy. It's looking sooooo nice.
      1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
      1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
      2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

I work, 6 days a week, but I get home just after 4 p.m. (except Sundays) and go and hit the bike for a couple of hours sometimes a bit more. But I do try to do at least something every day, for me that is the key.

If I didn't have the buggered holes in the engine, that would have been painted already and probably in the frame by now....but patience is the key...

Sci85 even those to little things are one step closer to your finish line as well...

Comment

Wow that's looking sweet! Frustrating waiting for the paint to cure but it's well worth it, and yes, take a day or two off, sometimes it's nice to do that and then you can get back into it full steam ahead again.

Bummer about the shop time but you'll be ready to assemble the frame in no time and you won't even notice
          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

calipers

OK, so I have taken apart the calipers, removed the rubbers, and pistons, cleaned everything out, pistons look good, rubbers look good, actually it all looks good, so before I reassemble and prepare for usage, I need to paint this buggers....

Any thoughts on how to mask off the areas I don't want paint on. specifically where the pistons go......?

attaching a few pics of what I am working with here, just in case someone sees something I don't, yes I know the grooves where the seals go are not clean yet 100% but I will get to them before I paint

Comment

Hey GK, making good progress again as usual I see. AS far as masking goes, I just did the little calipers on that CR80 project a bit back and I just place tape over the piston hole and cut the excess off with a razor blade for a perfect fit. Those areas where its too difficult to mask, I use a cotton swab and lay down a small coat of Vaseline. The vaseline will,keep,the paint from sticking and Works great in things like small grooves and such where it's difficult to get tape on. But I will say its rare that I can't get something taped with a nice razor blade and patience. If using the Vaseline, make sure you wipe it off before you do any forced curing. Good luck!
              1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
              1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
              2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Thanks Sci.....great ideas, and ones I have used in the past already on other parts, not vaseline but just plain ole grease, spray and wipe up latter.....

I was actually thinking, of putting the pistons in as they are in the pics, and roll up a thin strand of plasticine and put in the grove around the piston, the piston can always be cleaned up if there is any over spray, plus it will actually allow me to get paint inside the hole there of the piston as well, cover up some of that rust...

what you all say to that idea ????

the holes where screws go are easy to do, some cotton balls, or old bolts to protect those

Comment

Do that or just wad up a bunch of tape and stick in the hole. Then tape over that since you'll have a seal sitting in there as well.

Just my thought. Looking really good though.
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

cowboyup3371, that is another alternative, and just a note, there are no seals left on the calipers, everything has been removed....

I went out for lunch today, and picked up some more SS Bolts and such, just to add a bit more bling, even though it will probably not be seen, but that's OK, going to convert most of the old bolts to SS Allen head bolts, at least ones that don't take any type of stress and such, and unfortunately had to change from metric to SAE on two of the bolts, they had nothing in metric, but the SAE will be just fine

Pictures up latter.......

here are a few pics

Last edited by Guest; 02-17-2012, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Assembly is going along

Well, I was in the mood to do some work tonight, and start putting things back together, so I did.....this was about 4 hours worth...

not all is tightened up to specifications as of yet, well not everything, just in case I have to remove something, but it is coming along

My progress..

Comment

Cont....

and the rest

Comment

Awesome! Gonna have a roller real soon

Can you feel it? I can...

sigpic

Comment

Gonna start making vroooom vroooom noises soon......

Comment

Looks good GK. I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel!

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
                                Gonna start making vroooom vroooom noises soon......
                                Hahahahaha yes! That's where the light starts shining and you can see cool fun times in your not too distant future

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X