R/R Replaced Now Battery Draining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
    What I meant by literal was to read the notes (page two of the pdf and relate them to the schematic) and distinguish between frame ground and the B/W wire in the harness. OK, I think that lead to my initial (when I installed the R/R a couple of years ago) misunderstanding. I believe I understand the item now and will review my circuit again.

Also I don't know why you are NOT using one of the R/R mounting bolts as a single point ground. Apparently I wasn't clear enough on my sketch. The R/R ground goes from the R/R output to the fuse box mounting bolt and a ground wire goes from that bolt to the R/R mounting bolt. The fuse box mounting bolt is on the battery box. The R/R also mounts to the bottom of the battery box. [Unless you meant for all other grounding wires to connect to this single point? Sorry for being so dense.] You don't have to but having long runs or many connections on the ground wires is not desirable. I get this now. My initial response was to increase the quantity of grounding. I now plan on cutting this back to what has been indicated in your schematic to the points indicated.The R/R mounting point is the cleanest because it only needs a short wire to get from Mounting Bolt to the R/R(-) and you collect up all the other grounds to the same bolt.

The #1 ground (in my list before) is normally a Black and White wire (with ring lug) coming from the harness. (I think I've seen this, but will need to dig through the wires and mounting points).

If your R/R is mounted on the battery BOX then make sure that the ring lug going to the battery box has a good connection to R/R (-). Installed a new wire for this purpose (see my comment above).

If the R/R is connected to the side plate, then there should be an Black and white wire with ring lug going to the side plate. Then make sure that it is connected to the R/R(-). [Not Applicable, but thank you for covering this possibility.]

I don't know why it would be a good idea to pick a B/W from the fuel sensor unless it ties into the same crimp in the harness as the two other B/W with ring lug wires.I choose this point as it indicated a nearby ground wire which was connected to several other points. I did NOT, however, check to see if it was physically connected to one of the existing ring lugs. My bad and misunderstanding of what I was looking for.
    One thing at least I'm learning from this is to be a little more patient with the process.

As indicated earlier by killer2600, My initial diagram was incorrect as the red doesn't go through the solenoid, but rather connects to the battery through the terminal on the solenoid. I'll leave that for a followup topic, but the information provided so far is pretty straightforward on connecting to the stator and how to connect to the battery.

It's the understanding of how to ground properly versus everything on the frame is a ground. I ran into the a problem with some instrumentation and never resolved it to my satisfaction, but cobbled things together to work. Probably developed some incorrect understandings along the way which are now appearing.
    Last edited by Guest; 03-27-2012, 02:17 PM.

Comment

The RR might have an internal leak, not common but could be.
      Get a Honda RR for 30 bucks off ebay and never worry about it again.
      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by Riding Again View Post
        One thing at least I'm learning from this is to be a little more patient with the process.

As indicated earlier by killer2600, My initial diagram was incorrect as the red doesn't go through the solenoid, but rather connects to the battery through the terminal on the solenoid. I'll leave that for a followup topic, but the information provided so far is pretty straightforward on connecting to the stator and how to connect to the battery.

It's the understanding of how to ground properly versus everything on the frame is a ground. I ran into the a problem with some instrumentation and never resolved it to my satisfaction, but cobbled things together to work. Probably developed some incorrect understandings along the way which are now appearing.
        The reason for using the R/R mounting bolt is that it some cases the R/R's ground is actually the case of the R/R. That is because on many power devices the device case is ground and is also mounted to a heat sink which is the fined case of the R/R. For example the Compufire Series R/R ground wire is actually just a wire with ring lug screwed into the case of the R/R. So attaching all wires at the R/R case would provide the best possible single point ground if the above conditions are true.

To check your R/R put an ohm meter between the negative (Black lead) and the case and see if you have an open of low impedance. Low impedance means single point at the R/R not some other location.

Another point that is getting lost and Duange is correct, none of this grounding will case a leakage problem. It would have to be a defective R/R. A 6 wire would be a different story.

Comment

"The reason for using the R/R mounting bolt is that it some cases the R/R's ground is actually the case of the R/R."

Not true. Most float the case. The frame is ground and if the RR is mounted to it then the case will ground. The RR needs to be on rubber mounts to protect from vibration, a small loop ground wire to the frame is sufficient.

I disagree with running a ground to the RR bolt from everywhere. Use the frame as a ground, make all connections to it and you won't have any problems.

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
            "The reason for using the R/R mounting bolt is that it some cases the R/R's ground is actually the case of the R/R."

Not true. Most float the case. The frame is ground and if the RR is mounted to it then the case will ground. The RR needs to be on rubber mounts to protect from vibration, a small loop ground wire to the frame is sufficient.

I disagree with running a ground to the RR bolt from everywhere. Use the frame as a ground, make all connections to it and you won't have any problems.
            If you are convinced that a single ground is paramount, you could also do this: Use a bolt with a nut and lockwasher. Run all your grounds to this bolt using ring connectors. Take one wire and run it to the ground (or 12V -) on the battery. Thus all grounds go to the bolt, the bolt goes to the battery, you are at an equal potential. None of this silly 25 wires to a single mounting bolt of the R/R. O.K., I exaggerate to make a point, but I hope you get it.
            Although I cannot agree to the single ground theory, I have read on the web that it is more accurate. And we all know that everything on the web is correct, right?

Comment

Like Kool Aid says, if it's on the net it's true

Having a lot of ground connections on one bolt leads to bonding where instead of the devices being common ground, they develop currents between each other causing problems.

The frame, because it's a large metal object, is a perfect reference point. A smallish bolt is not.

Comment

Having a lot of ground connections on one bolt leads to bonding where instead of the devices being common ground, they develop currents between each other causing problems.

The frame, because it's a large metal object, is a perfect reference point. A smallish bolt is not.
                Does this bonding still occur when that single bolt is attached to the frame itself? I have three grounds that go to a mounting bracket on the frame and then the R/R going to the battery- post. Should I instead try to find different spots for each ground wire in that location?
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                  Does this bonding still occur when that single bolt is attached to the frame itself? I have three grounds that go to a mounting bracket on the frame and then the R/R going to the battery- post. Should I instead try to find different spots for each ground wire in that location?
                  Don't worry about it, your method is fine. Introducing the term "bonding" is going to confuse lots of folks. I usually associate the word with AC wiring where you ensure that the neutral and ground wires are bonded to the main entrance panel, i.e. the fuse box both for low resisitance to loads and safety concerns.
                  While I agree that the bike frame is a good ground, it's cobbled together from many parts and has higher resistance compared to copper wiring stringing electrical devices together.
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

You guys must have started your friday/weekend indulging early typing all this silliness.

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                    Don't worry about it, your method is fine. Introducing the term "bonding" is going to confuse lots of folks. I usually associate the word with AC wiring where you ensure that the neutral and ground wires are bonded to the main entrance panel, i.e. the fuse box both for low resisitance to loads and safety concerns.
                    While I agree that the bike frame is a good ground, it's cobbled together from many parts and has higher resistance compared to copper wiring stringing electrical devices together.
                    I tend to disagree, the frame is a great ground - much better than a copper wire because it offers less resistance and alot of conductive area. The problem with frame grounds is connection points can go bad and no one really knows the exact path the current is going so fixing issues is less direct and typically goes "clean all your grounds" or "add a ground or move your ground point"

There's nothing wrong with so called "bonded grounds," the only time you'll have an issue is when the ground connection goes or is bad. No different than putting grounds next to each other. On a professional level you wouldn't share a ground connection purely to avoid liability for possibly disturbing and messing up something you didn't install. It's when you ground devices to multiple points that you get stray currents called "ground loops" that can make things go all funny. Whenever you wire a device you want all your grounds to connect to the vehicle ground at one point if possible.

Comment

I think that's what happened with that instrumentation I mentioned.

Today, I continue after a pause for valve shimming .

Comment

The number of staunch opinions from people who appear to have little clue of how wrong they are is bewildering . I can only do so much and this is all I am going to say.........

In the simplest of terms (as required to understand grounding on a motorcycle) I wrote the following to describe the primary issues.

The primary thing to keep in mind is that all currents supplied by the R/R (+) (to the electrical/battery system) have to return to the R/R(-) . That means that you need to provide a good current return paths for the following currents(to get back to the R/R(-):
                        1. harness current return path is the black/white harness wire (i don't see you having this connected to the r/r(-). These are normally the ring lugs attached to the harness connected one under the battery box mount and one under the solenoid mount. This sometimes confuses people as these ring lugs actually have current flowing in opposite directions. The ring lug attached to the battery box is to pickup any return currents from electrical devices (e.g. ignitors) and get that current to flow back to the harness and then out the other ring lug to where the R/R(-) is. So you need to make sure that there is a Harness ring lug (with B/W wire)attached to the R/R(-).
                        2. battery charging current return path - I don't see this you should have a wire direct from the battery(-) to r/r(-)
                        3. frame current return paths - you are good there as you have a wire direct from the r/r(-) to the frame
                        4. engine block current return paths - you are good there as the current will either go from engine block to battery or engine block to frame where you will return via #2 or #3 above respectively

So anybody that doesn't agree with the above should go back and rethink what they think they know about electricity (go back to BASIC ELECTRICITY 000; to find out what a electrical circuit is)

For those who are remaining (those that have passed BASIC ELECTRICITY 000 and are ready for Grounding 101) Given the above, the primary issue to concern yourself with is how to combine these 4 return current sources to get them back to the R/R(-). The answer is somewhat based on the physical layout of your R/R, Harness and where the frame and battery are with respect to the R/R. For simplicity I will assume any currrent in the engine block gets back either through the battery cable or the frame so I will drop that distinction for the moment and only deal with three current returns trying to get to the R/R (-) .

As far as single point grounding (SPG) is concerned, the ideal for combining the currents is at a single point on the shortest wire to the R/R as possible. That is because the currents have to be combined and you don't want to combine and then run all of the return current through a lot of thin wires. The biggest problem is in voltage drops between the R/R and the Battery and voltage upsets to charging. You also have to maintain these three return paths otherwise they will find some other path to getting back to the R/R.

So while not absolutely required, the most straight forward is to tie everything together at a single point which does not require increasing the length of the R/R(-) return wire but rather keeps it short. The following 4 options exist(see attached figure):
                        1. I choose the R/R mounting point to accomplish a single point ground (SPG)connection as it gives me a metal to metal contact and I can torque down the bolt to hold all the wires together to maintain good physical contact with little danger of it loosening. I can minimize the length of wire on the R/R(-) and for the Compufire SERIES R/R the the R/R case itself is the R/R(-) so the current doesn't even have to go through the black return wire and so teh wire is not even required.
                        2. Mounting all four to a plastic part will also work but the plastic is softer and the torque on the screw can loosen and then all the ground returns are compromised. You could mount them to any other bolt on the side plate
                        3. You could equivalently bolt them all together on the frame somewhere but if you are adding more wire or more connections to the R/R(-) lead in order to accomplish this then it is not as desireable. You will need to add another B/W from the harness. On the positive side if you do this then you can leave off the Frame to R/R(-) wire as you are are already on the frame.
                        4. A final variation to #1 is even leaving out the ground wire from the harness if you know it already has a good contact to another point on the side plate. This is where I just go ahead and combine things (Option #1) so I don't inadvertently forget this return path.
                        One last comment for anybody that sneaked in here without passing BASIC ELECTRICITY: The frame is NOT GROUND. It is only a path for current to return to its source. In this case the source is R/R(+) and the return path is to the R/R(-)

It seems as through some people describe the frame as being a ground as if it is somehow absorbing electrons. To them I say, go back to BASIC ELECTRICITY; Electrons flow in circuits they do not get absorbed in the frame. All Currents flowing into the frame are exiting the frame in equal amounts to return to the source. If your bike is charging then that source is the R/R , if not then the battery is providing some of the current.

Details here

If you look closely at the two installations you will see that both of the original OEM R/R's have a short R/R(-) wire with a ringlug for the mounting plate. The way that this picks up current from the harness is through the B/W harness ring lug that was mounted to the solenoid bolt. It is not just there to provide a ground for the solenoid, it is also for the current in the harness to get back to the R/R(-). Combining the SPG mounting points to a single bolt is just making the current paths more obvious and reducing potential corrosion issues. When the R/R(-) ring lug is sacked on top of the B/W harness ring lug the contact of the two brass ringlugs provides the lowest resistance short of soldering the wires together. This is one of the shortcomings and the original Suzuki electrical design. They relied on the harness ring lug to make good contact to the side painted plate through a mounting bolt and it's threads and then through the side plate to the R/R(-) ring lug hooked to yet another mounting bolt. You have two mounting bolts and two sets of ring lugs. Stacking the ringlugs at the R/R mounting bolt minimizes potential problems with corrosion. Obviously there is also dielectric grease used to reduce corrosion of the brass ring lugs.
                        Last edited by posplayr; 03-31-2012, 02:59 PM.

Comment

GS 1100ED factory grounds and Single Point Wiring mods

Comment

I've decided to start from the beginning and follow the bobber diagram. I found the two ring lugs and am going to those points. Much easier to start from a proven known. Thanks

It is an open resistance between the R/R case and the black ground wire. I believe this means that the only ground occurs by the black R/R wire.

Comment

"The number of staunch opinions from people who appear to have little clue of how wrong they are is bewildering . "

Could not agree more, Jim.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                                The number of staunch opinions from people who appear to have little clue of how wrong they are is bewildering .

One last comment for anybody that sneaked in here without passing BASIC ELECTRICITY: The frame is NOT GROUND. It is only a path for current to return to its source. In this case the source is R/R(+) and the return path is to the R/R(-)
                                I hope I'm not one of those that you consider wrong.

But the frame is ground in a negative frame grounded vehicle, the motor case is also ground.

You over emphasize return paths to the regulator. While you can look at the regulator that way and mostly get it to work in reality the battery is the start and end of it all. The regulator merely charges the battery, it's job is that and that alone. While it can, it's purpose is not to run the bike hence why it's a bad idea to remove the battery from a running bike. The reason why it's not good to see the regulator as the source and return for electric while running is the battery makes up for draw the regulator can't supply like your bike running at idle with lights and all on and it also takes in the excess current the bike is not using - typically at speed.

Have your R/R connected well to the battery, then have your battery well connected to your electrical. That's how it's done.

I hope I passed basic electric and grounding 101, they gave me a degree after all.

Comment

Working...
                                X