Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hang in there GK!

Comment

Yup, not going to sweat it.......it is what it is.....

going to hit the post office today around 1:00 to see if they have my package....

take the wife to work, she is without car today, and drop off the seat to get it done as well.....

all in a days work.....LOL

Comment

Package is in my hands so to speak.....I picked it up from the post office, but had to take it home and drop it off there, had to take the wife to work, and after that I stopped off at the upholstery place to leave the seat ( going to cost me more than originally planned ) but I added some feature to the cover, which I think will make it ohhhhh so much better looking than just the initial wrap of carbon fiber alone.....should be ready in a couple of weeks, I told the guys no rush, as I am in no hurry....

GoodTimes at least your off the hook for the additional costs on the package, since it wasn't yours that has arrived as of yet and it was the one from Boulevard Suzuki, almost a month to the day......and another 43 bucks in duties, well so much for any savings......lesson learned, get crap from local dealer first........

So I will post a few pictures when I get home, since we all like pictures so much....

I can now move forward on the build as well, somewhat at least. I am now no longer just sitting idle......

And unfortunately no shop time, yet, so no engine work,,,,,,hey it's a long weekend, maybe something happens over the next 4-5 days......who the heck knows....

More to follow latter today....

Comment

Well here we go.....

the box.....

and all the contents......should keep me busy for a few hours....

I added the stitching, this is why it will cost me a bit more, and I asked they do the stitch in a white thread, I think they call this a French double stitch, and the strap will be done with a single stitch

going to go have dinner, relax a bit, and get to work......not really sure what order those will be followed in...

have to verify the parts are correct as well....

Comment

Glad you finally got your parts! Gotta love those red/white labelled packets hey?

That stitching's very cool and should be real nice done in white.
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Glad you got the parts but sorry that you had to shell out more cash. I got banged up once on that a few years back when Fedex and the others started charging brokerage fees for shipping across the border. Never again. If it can't come USPS I buy it here. Actually, unless its something I can't get I buy everything here. Support our own economy first says I.

I think the seat is going to look sharp but I don't think white is a good colour for the stitch. I think it will get dirty very quickly and willl be a biotch to clean. How about red instead since you are going with red accents. I've seen a few of the high end seats done that way and it really does set them off.

To bad that you can't get to the engine yet, but as you say, you have lots to keep you occupied. I played "hooky" today and dissassembled and cleaned my front calipers. I'll do the back tomorrow. They were not too bad. The right side one had some crud in the bore but no damage to the pistons or seal and it cleaned up fine.

I'm on target for a road test, likely Saturday.

Hope you can get on the engine next week.

Good luck and enjoy the weekend.

Spyug

Comment

Good to see that you got the parts finally. Sorry to hear that it was such a hassle.

Turning a wrench is good therapy. I just spent a couple of hours on my harness and solenoid. I'm good to go!

Comment

Thanks guys....

The stuff sent by BS was by USPS, but Canada Customs decided I had to pay tax GST/HST on the amount showing on the Invoice and a handling Fee....ohhhhh well, at least it didn't cost me more than if I paid for it here, only more time....

I think I will stick to our local dealers, lesson learned

Anyways enough about that....

The stitching, it was a toss up either black or white, well it's an off white, and there was a silver, I debated the color and ended up picking the white, since the bike will be white mostly, and I don't think I will do red accents, but black instead. Yes the white might get dirty faster, so I was actually going to call the guys and tell them to do it in the silver, it will be less noticeable and should not get as dirty as fast, it's actually the same as I have in my SUV, I thought it was white, but I took a closer look today and it's silver,,,,ish

All I need now is the bolts from Good Time, and I can really start on assembly, I did some tonight, used the old bolts for now, just to see how things are going to go....

Changed all the seals, boots, plugs, etc and put all the brake systems together

managed to screw up one of the seals, so I had to use an old one, so I used 2 old ones, which leaves me a new one for spare, and stooopid me, I go and order 2 sets of rear pads, I don't think I did, but I have now spare rear pads as well, and 2 clutch cable covers, I really have to go and double check my order, I don't know why I would have done that ?

so here is tonight's love of labor......

gotta mess up at least once....

Comment

It's looking good. The bolts will be the icing on the cake.

Comment

unless Customs dings me for another 40 bucks....LOL

Then I throw it all out............................................... ...

Comment

Man those calipers came out really nice GK. I'm going to be hitting mine with paint this weekend myself. Hope they turn out as nice as yours. Did your order OEM seals and boots for the brakes or a kit or ?
                        1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
                        1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
                        2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Thanks Sci85

I ordered OEM, seals and boots, and pads, didn't do the kit, as I didn't need new pistons mine were in OK shape, cleaned them up, painted the inside of them, and put them back into use.

going to try and run the SS brake lines this weekend hopefully, and see what other items I can button up as well

ohhh and as for the calipers, that's the second time they got painted, I messed up the first time, had to strip it all off and started again, I messed up the front brake reservoir as well, it got painted twice,,,,,live and learn.....LOL
                          Last edited by Guest; 04-06-2012, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Hehe, yeah I hate it when I measure twice, and still have to cut twice LOL! Thanks for the info. I got a lot of parts that need to get ordered but I haven't been able to bring myself to spend the money. Eldest son has been visiting colleges and that's got me spooked. Man, when did an education get so freaking expensive?!
                            1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
                            1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
                            2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

I hear ya brother, I have one in college and doing an apprenticeship, 2nd one is finished high school this year and will probably be University bound, and when did it get expensive, I think that was a while back....LOL

I still have a few big ticket items

battery
                              seat being upholstered
                              tires
                              and painting of the tins

that should be about 800 bucks......

ohhhhh the insanity...............

and it was supposed to be a 30 dollar oil change.......hehehehehehehe

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
                                unless Customs dings me for another 40 bucks....LOL

Then I throw it all out............................................... ...
                                That would truly bite....

It seems to be taking a long time to get there. I mailed it two Saturday's ago. Must be at customs in the $60 bin waiting to be delivered.

Comment

Working...
                                X