Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help with Compufire/ Eastern beaver PC8 Install

Hello Everyone,

As the title says I'm doing an installation with a Compufire and PC8 fusebox with provided harness with inline fuse and relay and I need some help with the wiring.

I also would like to properly label the fuses and I'm not sure of what size fuses I should be using.

Things I have done.

Installed new stator an Accel 152436. I connected the three wires directly to the compufire using provided weatherpak.

Extended existing fuse panel to allow enough room to mount compufire and new fuse block.

A total of six wires on the compufire (well 5 + you can add another to case ground)

3 going to stator
    1 going to battery -
    1 coming from frame to behind compufire case
    + going to red wire in harness (this is a wire the original R/R was hooked up to)

There are 7 wires hooked to an 8 pin connecter under original fuse block
    Please correct me if I'm wrong.

1. black/white headlight 10a
    2. orange/red horn ?
    3 orange/green turn signal 10a
    4. solid orange ignition switch 10a
    5. orange/white kill switch ?

6. red to battery
    7. red to harness

Other Questions I have

1. Where do I mount the two remaining red wires?

2. Should I leave the + from compufire to red wire on original harness?

3. The provided Eastern beaver harness has a wire that needs to be plugged to a switched lead. What would be a good source for this?

4 . Should I wire the + and - from EB harness direct to battery?

5. And which of these wires if any should be plugged to an unswitched circuit?

Originally posted by BluBul View Post
    Hello Everyone,

As the title says I'm doing an installation with a Compufire and PC8 fusebox with provided harness with inline fuse and relay and I need some help with the wiring.

I also would like to properly label the fuses and I'm not sure of what size fuses I should be using.

Things I have done.

Installed new stator an Accel 152436. I connected the three wires directly to the compufire using provided weatherpak.

Extended existing fuse panel to allow enough room to mount compufire and new fuse block.

A total of six wires on the compufire (well 5 + you can add another to case ground)

3 going to stator
    1 going to battery -
    1 coming from frame to behind compufire case
    + going to red wire in harness (this is a wire the original R/R was hooked up to)

There are 7 wires hooked to an 8 pin connecter under original fuse block
    Please correct me if I'm wrong.

1. black/white headlight 10a
    2. orange/red horn ?
    3 orange/green turn signal 10a
    4. solid orange ignition switch 10a
    5. orange/white kill switch ?

6. red to battery
    7. red to harness

Other Questions I have

1. Where do I mount the two remaining red wires?

2. Should I leave the + from compufire to red wire on original harness?

3. The provided Eastern beaver harness has a wire that needs to be plugged to a switched lead. What would be a good source for this?

4 . Should I wire the + and - from EB harness direct to battery?

5. And which of these wires if any should be plugged to an unswitched circuit?

good job on the Compufire, but I'm not sure what the point of changing the fuse box is on an 83 1100ED. These have some of the better fuse boxes stock.
    Anyway since you have done it already you should draw a simple schematic of what you are doing with the eastern beaver would be helpful.

Unfortunately the Easter Beaver website doesn't even have a schematic, so it is difficult to know what they even intended. He seems to want to use a external relay so that all the current doesn't go through the ignition switch. But he also is using an inline fuse holder even though there are 8 fuse positions in the block.

For as many people that have wired this up you would think someone else would have posted a schematic of what they did.

Are you trying to use an external relay as suggested?
    Are you trying to retain the stock wiring as much as possible?
    Are you trying to do some type of single point ground?

Comment

Thank you for the reply as I'm electrically challenged

I want to add on a few things to the bike and figured a new block would be a clean way to do it.

I have read some of the older threads but they created they're own harness type thing.

yes I would like to keep the external relay

yes I would like to retain as much as possible using the relay

I didn't think of creating a single point ground but if it is more efficient than I will do so.

Comment

Edit: I updated the figure for a single point on the frame

Thank you for the reply as I'm electrically challenged

I want to add on a few things to the bike and figured a new block would be a clean way to do it.

I have read some of the older threads but they created they're own harness type thing.

yes I would like to keep the external relay

yes I would like to retain as much as possible using the relay

I didn't think of creating a single point ground but if it is more efficient than I will do so.
        I attached a figure, hopefully it is clear.
        • It retains the same fusing that came stock. (15 amp main between R/R and battery; Ignition switch power is distributed through fused 10 amp circuits)
        • This includes a relay that is used to switch all current not just a coil relay or ignition relay.
        • The only current through the ignition switch is the few mill amps to engage the solenoid.
        • There is no inline fuse required as is shown on the Western Beaver website.
        • Use the same fuses as you would on the stock fuse box. 15 amps for the main and 10 amps for all others.
        You will see some options in the figure but the R/R case\frame basically remains the single point ground I assume the R/R is attached to the side mounting plate to pcikup the solenoid ground. I show the second ground attached to the R/R mounted at the frame to use that as a ground collection point (see picture in the next post). That is what I did on my ED.
        Last edited by posplayr; 05-13-2014, 04:07 PM.

Comment

This is a picture of where I routed the second ground wire from the Compufire R/R. It conveniently bolts to the frame below the seat mount to collect the other grounds from harness , Coil relay and some others.

Comment

Wow! Thank you very much for the schematic.
            I do have a couple of questions with the relay

85 is the solid orange now routed to relay

30 is the red wire from harness

86 ?

87 ? I'm I going to create an orange wire from relay to power?

and where does the black/white wire run that was connected to 8 pin connecter in original fuseblock?

Thanks in advance
            Nate

Comment

Wow! Thank you very much for the schematic.
              I do have a couple of questions with the relay

85 is the solid orange now routed to relay

Yes this should be the end of the small wire from the harness; it is coming from the ignition switch

30 is the red wire from harness

Not quite, you have to tie the following together:
                1. the R/R(+) output
                2. right most Fuse output of the Fusebox
                3. red wire from the harness
                4. connect to pin 30 on the relay
              86 ?
              This is a ground, connect to one of the ground terminal screws in the fuse box/

87 ? I'm I going to create an orange wire from relay to power?
              Yes

and where does the black/white wire run that was connected to 8 pin connecter in original fuseblock?
              to either the single point ground or to the fuse block ground; it will be redundant with the old Harness ring lug grounds also shown.

Thanks in advance
              Nate

Comment

Thank you very much!!
                Nate

Comment

I found the schematic representation on the bottom of this page.

It is an unusual recommendation because it doesn't include either the R/R connections or other harness connections. I guess you just tie into the screw terminals????

generally the following is true of all the Suzuki schematics
                  • place a 15amp fuse between BATT(+) and the rest of the system (i.e. R/R(+) and ignition switch "T")
                  • Switched power from the ignition switch is distributed on 10 amp circuits (usually 3 e.g. ignition, lights, etc)
                  The EasternBeaver uses two external 20 and 30 amp inline fuses which are way too much, in addition to the whole set of fuses in the PC-8.

My recommended set of connections retains the salient points above without using any external fuses. The relay is added to feed the distribution of power (relay Pin 87 to PC-8 Power) to the 10 amp circuits. The relay is feed (relay pin 30) from a new "T" outside of the harness but which is equivalent to the one inside.

See the attached derawing to compare to the easterbeaver recommendation

What have other people been doing to connect a PC-8?
                  Last edited by posplayr; 05-01-2012, 01:39 PM.

Comment

I did get the kit which consists of this:

pc8-50a_0354.jpg

I have not wired up anything yet I wanted to have it all figured before I cut 1 wire and I've been cleaning up the valve cover for an hour now. P.O used permatex to seal the cover.... Its really nasty stuff but back to this I have searched Eastern Beaver PC-8 install and I get people who have done it on other forums, but they haven't posted much detail on how they did it only what they had to do to make it fit and tie the switch lead into the tail light.

I appreciate your help and I am in no hurry here as I will be busy with valve cover and I think it will be wise for me to clean oil sump screen.

Comment

Here are some notes annotating the PC-8 harness

Comment

Working...
                      X