Rectifier/Regulator replacement list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
    That ignitor is correct for all the shafty 650s- worth some bucks. That R/R is USELESS not oem- use as xmas ornament, I got 2 of those in parts lots and both were defective- don't risk your stator, get a used shindengen for $20.
    Thanks!!

So if my ignitor goes, am I SOL? I see they go for $100+ used. It would be nice if there was something aftermarket.
    1983 GS650G
    Build thread: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=66251.0

Comment

Originally posted by JonnyC View Post
      Thanks!!

So if my ignitor goes, am I SOL? I see they go for $100+ used. It would be nice if there was something aftermarket.
      I think this model ignitor is tough,so yours is probably good, but worst case scenario, get a dyna ignition setup as replacement. If you determine you have ignitor problem. let me know- I have two spares as insurance backup.
      Seriously, dump that midget R/R- it's undersized for heat sinking.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
        Seriously, dump that midget R/R- it's undersized for heat sinking.
        Sorry to ask questions that have been answered already, but what would be the best cheapest option to go with? SH232? SH541? FH008EB?

Thanks for all of the help.
        1983 GS650G

Comment

Many to choose from on ebay; I use a sh-232 - here is an an example
          ebay item # 160936862360
          a sh-532, probably could be had for $20 shipped
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by old_skool
            Personally, I choose the FH model Shindengen's, but they cost a little more.
            Alright, so I've spent all day reading about this stuff. It looks like I can get a FH009 pretty cheap (taking the advice of a previous poster), and coupled with the Furukawa connectors either from Eastern Beaver or Ebay, it seems like this would be a pretty solid setup (don't even need to bother with a sense wire either). How come it seems that no one discusses the cheaper FH009, and that it's not listed in the first post?
            1983 GS650G

Comment

Have a FH009 in my 750,works great.Stock one is the same one JonnyC has in his picture.They still come up cheap on eBay but people have figured out there's a demand so prices have gone up.If you can get it cheap go for it Jonny.

Stock placement on the 750 is a little tightwith the FH so can't use those connectors.Would if I could!

Comment

Thanks guys. I bought one for $30 shipped. Hopefully it's in working order! I'm excited to rewire my bike from scratch and do it right.
                1983 GS650G

Comment

Has anyone gone for one of these complete kits?
                  Im thinking of just spoiling my little one with a brand newy!

Comment

Originally posted by nikosg View Post
                    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SHINDENGE...ht_1810wt_1180
                    I figured out i could buy separately for cheaper. I bought the connectors from him, and it took ages to get to me. Bought wire and the fuse locally and got the reg/rec from someone else

Comment

Has anyone used an RR from an SV650? (FI model)

Comment

The SV R/R has the same problems as the GS ones.

Comment

Originally posted by jfman View Post
                          Has anyone used an RR from an SV650? (FI model)
                          Post a picture of the one.
                          If it is the type that uses the bike frame as a heatsink, then avoid it.

Comment

Originally posted by nikosg View Post
                            http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SHINDENGE...ht_1810wt_1180
                            If you are considering a new R/R of that size and price, why not do yourself (and your bike) a favor?

The R/R for a 2011 Polaris Ranger is the same size and wiring, but is a SERIES regulator, like the Compufire, and is available BRAND-NEW for less than $68 (plus shipping, of course.

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

It does Matchless and ask me how I know
                              That's cool Steve,now watch them go WAY up in price.

Comment

Not sure if it's on the list, but a Shingenden sh232-12 9.0 from a Honda CM400 works beautifully.

Comment

Working...
                                X