No announcement yet.

GS1000G mods- big bore and fuel injection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More research today, which was spent primarily removing the front wheel & forks so I could replace the springs and seals.

The GSXR fuel rail has a 5/16 "quick disconnect" (QD) fitting on it. One of the project cars in my shop is a Dodge Daytona with the 2.5L engine. I had the fuel rail and hose off it and noticed the fitting looked similar to the GSXR part. I plugged it in, and it clicked into place.

I've found a number of Chrysler fuel filters with this type of fitting, but the thing is with Wix you have to look at them one at a time, and all of the specs are not there for each one. I'm looking for a small filter, and have seen a couple that may work- the fittings are both on the same side, one barb and one QD. Some versions come with a hose. The specs I've seen fro most Wix filters are in the 10-15 micron range, which should work well post-pump, pre-injector.

I'll update once I find something that works and is affordable.

Comment

My fuel pump testing rig paid off. The small pump draws about 2 amps free flow using water, but under pressure it spiked to 10.5 amps! It also leaked on the inlet side around the metal seam, so it was not usable- I'm sure this was due to plugging the ports. Plan B is the Bosch external version I had listed here earlier. I suspect it will draw less than this one based on the overall rating. Plan C wil be to use an early Hayabusa pump that has a built-in regulator. My only concern is the size.

The replacement fender is painted, the forks are resealed, the rear tire has been swapped and new bearings installed.

I also made a couple of oversize battery cables to replace the old thinner ones. I used some 6 gauge cable from McMaster, 8 gauge would have worked, but the 6 gauge was the smallest size with a high-temp covering.

I have a set of used throttle cables from a GSX1100G. It looks like they may be barely long enough, but it will be tight. I had to re-drill the plate on the switch housing so it lined up with the hole for the screw. The choke cable won't work since it can't be adjusted- usually these cables have two nuts and an adjuster sleeve. The GS cable only has one nut and it's actually too long for the application. I think a universal cable may work, or in the worst case I can use a GSX left control that has a choke control on it.

Comment

Why not an in-tank pump ? Seems to be lots available cheap.

that would require cutting into the tank and making a plate to mount the pump and seal the hole but you could get a whole unit with the plate built on.

Seems like an easier way to go price wise.
        Stephen.
        1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
        1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
        Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
        GS twin wiki

Comment

The layout of the GS tank is somewhat different than the later GSX ones. With the narrow sides, it may be a tight fit to get an entire assembly in there- I have not measured a GSX in-tank assembly, but from looking at them it appears it would be very tight, and could not mount in the rear. While it may mount towards the front, then you have to worry about clearance for the parts that hang down.

I had considered adapting a later model tank to the bike, but that would change the appearance in a way I would not like. My goal is to retain the stock appearance if possible, another reason for keeping the petcock.

Additionally, that is a lot more work than I care to do- and takes this from a mostly DIY level (excluding regular machine shop work) to one requiring costly third-party work.

Comment

Originally posted by GS1000G Shopper View Post
            Using these numbers with the 73mm pistons & large head gasket, I get 9.76:1 with the GS1000 head, and 10.7:1 with the GS1100 head.

I'll likely need to run a better grade of fuel if this is the case.
            As you noted in a later post, compression ratio is not the only determining factor for octane requirement.

If your have a well-designed combustion chamber that is relatively small-diameter so the flame front travels quickly, you can do very nicely with lower octane. When you have larger-diamter chambers that might not have proper turbulence to propogate the flame front, things start going wacky, and the quickest "fix" is higher octane.

Originally posted by GS1000G Shopper View Post
            As evidenced by the picture on page 12 (copied below), my digital caliper had them at 72.88 mm. ...
            What do you mean "on page 12"? This is only part-way down on page FOUR.

If you don't agree with me, you don't have your "view" setting set to a much more convenient setting. Very easy to change.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for the combustion chamber info. As for the picture/page/post, why bring up an issue that has been resolved? I'm going to houseclean this whole thread once the project is complete and use the first post as a table of contents so members do not need to wade through irrelevant research material.

Comment

The GSX-G throttle cables are too short by a couple of inches. I've been trying to find lengths for other models, but this is apparently classified information. Most places list the length as "standard". The GSX-G housing is 42", and I estimate another 2~3" would do.

I see Motion-Pro makes (or perhaps made) an extended length (+5") push/pull cable set for sport bikes, and the base number (021-281) fit an older GSXR1100. The only place I see that lists this is Sudco.com. The extended sets are $63, and I have no idea if they are long enough.

One other possibility is a set from the VL800 wannabe Harley model (I was surprised I didn't see one in their new ad but then again they all look alike to me ). I found M-P makes extended cables for these in +6 and +7 lengths. Apparently, the HD madness hits these owners as well, as one thread showed how to put 14" Ape Hangers on one. I'll not link it out of consideration for those with queasy stomachs. That particular project used a universal cable from England. The used VL800 cables I've seen on eBay look like they have the same ends, so if the length is right, these should work.

Solution: eBay seller ID steelescycle made a set for me for $25/cable. I ended up only using one. You need to have about 4.5" sticking out to hook up to the throttle bodies. The housing length I got was 47.5" + 4.25" for cable (51.75" overall), and the housings were too long (too long is workable, too short is not). A 44~45" housing (48.5~49.5" overall) would work fine. The housings must have 90 degree fittings at each end. I used a set from a 1992 GSX1100G as a template, they are almost long enough.

The GS1000G stem mounted choke cable will barely fit onto the fast idle cam on the GSXR throttle bodies.

UPDATE
                I've decided to use the center linkage solution that is linked in the table of contents post. I was able to re-use the longer cable OK, so the shorter one would likely work but was not tested.
                Last edited by Guest; 06-11-2015, 02:12 PM. Reason: Solution

Comment

You can get custom cables made up at somewhere like Speedy cables.... There was someone who linked a company they used on here. Can't find the info offhand but a search might bring it up.
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Try a local chopper or old time bike shop in your area, those are the places by me that do custom cables.
                    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                    82 Kat 1000 Project
                    05 CRF450x
                    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Airport! find a shop that does small aircraft. They use lots of cables and could make one what ever length and fittings you want.
                      Stephen.
                      1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
                      1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                      Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                      GS twin wiki

Comment

Motion Pro - High quality cables, tools and controls for motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles and personal watercraft.

Doesn't seem much worse in price than a normal set & MP is a decent company... Pretty much the first hit on Google.
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Someone speculated these folks might do custom lengths.
                          1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                          1983 GS 1100 G
                          2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                          2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                          1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                            http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/custom/

Doesn't seem much worse in price than a normal set & MP is a decent company... Pretty much the first hit on Google.
                            Looks like that will be the best idea to date. I can send in the GSX-G cables.

Heard back from an eBay seller as to the VL800 cables:
                            from tip to tip they are 42 1/4" and 42 5/8"

This is the same length as the GSX-G cables, but the +6" ones for the VL800 would work.

Comment

Photo updates-
                              Front fender repainting. Not a perfect match by any stretch, but not bad for about $10 of paint. The color is Krylon Burgundy. It was sprayed, allowed to dry, polished, then sanded with 1200 grit. After 4 coats, it was top coated with some polyurethane.

New battery cable, 6 gauge from McMaster.com:

More pics to follow in the next post.

Comment

Throttle bodies in place, they were a tight fit and I ended up using a nylon strap to install them (a trick learned from fighting V65 Sabre carbs). Some pics show the setup with the stock airbox, and others with pods. I think there will be room to mount the electric fuel pump in front of the stock airbox.

This pic shows the 45mm hose that goes into the stock airbox:

Pods:

Comment

Working...
                                X