Help finding clutch adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help finding clutch adjustment

I looked in the service manual, can't find the adjustment.
    The bike is a 81 650g, and it doesn't feel like the clutch is not engaging all the way.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-03-2013, 12:43 PM. Reason: missed a key word.

Two adjustment, one on either end of the cable.

Not engaging, or nor disengaging?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Sorry, is NOT engaging all the way. or the clutch needs replaced (hoping that's not the case), I can release the clutch all the way, then get on the gas and it doesnt kill the engine.

Comment

Is the arm that attaches to the cable suppose to be parallel or close to parallel to the frame?

Comment

Hopefully this vidio can help.

well i didnt realize that the suzuki's clutch was so low, until i started riding the sportster, so i had to adjust it, cuz it was driving me nuts, ill prolly...

Comment

Originally posted by thadius33 View Post
            Is the arm that attaches to the cable suppose to be parallel or close to parallel to the frame?
            The arm should be as close to 90 degrees to the cable as you can get it. There needs to be some slack in the cable. If it is still slipping replace the springs with new OEM ones. You dont need stiffer aftermarket ones, that is a whole new bag of worms. The originals have been compressed in there for 30 years, they are shorter now than they were and not supplying as much pressure on the plates.

Comment

OK, the adjustments are seem to me making it a whole lot better. I will go for a ride after lunch and see how much better it is. Thanks for the help everyone!

Comment

Just make sure there is slack in the system.

Comment

When I get slack in the cable it won't disengage all the way. When i get the clutch to disengage all they way it slips if you accelerate hard. It almost seems like there isn't enough travel in the clutch lever to me.

Comment

Originally posted by thadius33 View Post
                    When I get slack in the cable it won't disengage all the way. When i get the clutch to disengage all they way it slips if you accelerate hard. It almost seems like there isn't enough travel in the clutch lever to me.
                    Look at attached pic (my 650), the clutch lever arm is slightly angled towards bike centerline. There is almost no slack in cable at this point- if you push on arm maybe 1/8 inch before you "feel" clutch resistance. You might have to reposition clutch arm on its shaft to achieve this-once you have found this spot, then (and only then) fiddle with with cable adjustment so that hand lever has slight play before it starts pulling on clutch arm.
                    Last edited by tom203; 06-12-2013, 06:23 AM. Reason: typo
                    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                    X