No announcement yet.

Solid State Power Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At least I know who to call for tech support!

Comment

So lemme get my head around the relay thing. This will replace horn and coil mods and what else?

Regardless make me one ASAP. This is not a winter project and deserves my unique stress testing abilities.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
        So lemme get my head around the relay thing. This will replace horn and coil mods and what else?

Regardless make me one ASAP. This is not a winter project and deserves my unique stress testing abilities.
        Just think of the fuse box as having 4 relays in it. Power from R/R battery will come in on the two big RED individual wires. (see diagram)

The 10 Pin connector with have 5 circuits, 4 will be switched (with smart protection) and 1 remaining one is switched and electronically fused; There will be 4 wires coming into the fuse box from 4 different switches to turn the 4 smart FET relays on and off as desired.

There is a limit to how many circuits without making it keep getting larger and larger and especially the connector the connector. He are the most likely configurations:

By powering the O/W using the Kill switch you get an ignition relay mod.

By disabling the O/R using the start button you get most of a Headlamp relay mod (it is not a full mod as primary current still runs through the left hand.

The Signal O/G will be controlled from the ignition switch.

The ACC SWITCHED can be controlled with another switch like horn button for a horn relay mod.

Phones and battery chargers should be connected to the UN SWITCHED RED.

There are probable some other combinations but this are probably the main ones.

For the kill switch and horn button there will have to be some changes inside the switch to get the polarity right.

This is helping, after going through some of the combinations I realized it was best to provide independent control of all the FET controlled circuits.
        Last edited by posplayr; 06-27-2013, 01:00 AM.

Comment

This is the real deal guys and girls.
          I'm watching it take shape!
          I'm building a couple of bikes and I get to try it out when complete!
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
            I was thinking about asking you for the metal bits, but you do PCB's as well?
            If you have the volume we can make the whole thing as long as it's not too "micro". We have pick & place line, soldering station etc.
            Make a lot of Remote control & receiver board stuff... Actually we even have our own brand which has been going for years: http://www.heddolf.net/HOME.html
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
              If you have the volume we can make the whole thing as long as it's not too "micro". We have pick & place line, soldering station etc.
              Make a lot of Remote control & receiver board stuff... Actually we even have our own brand which has been going for years: http://www.heddolf.net/HOME.html
              I'm buying enough parts for about 25 units at the moment along with a test setup. I'm going to need some 0.120-0.090" heat sink plates (0.250" max if price is not prohibitive) in the outline of the fuse box foots (newer style slant bolt pattern and older symmetrical bolt pattern. Also a small 0.250" approx 1.0"x0.5". stick of aluminum for a heat sink.

Working on a prototype at the moment. It is a biatch without a PCB.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                I'm buying enough parts for about 25 units at the moment along with a test setup. I'm going to need some 0.120-0.090" heat sink plates (0.250" max if price is not prohibitive) in the outline of the fuse box foots (newer style slant bolt pattern and older symmetrical bolt pattern. Also a small 0.250" approx 1.0"x0.5". stick of aluminum for a heat sink.

Working on a prototype at the moment. It is a biatch without a PCB.
                Yep... for us volume has 3 or preferably 4 zeros following the first number
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by Highway_Glider
                  Never really thought about it so I went to the net looking. Found theese:

The top one is more like mine.

Middle and bottom are basically the same except the middle one has an accessories connection and fuse. Maybe there are more...IDK.

The connector would be impossible to make universal for all....But can the box have 4 holes on it? (2 left-top-center and 2 right-bottom-center) The installer get to choose two holes and ignore two. That would reduce the number of models to keep on hand.

As for the wirring can there be an adaptor "Harness" for the older bikes? Or is there some circuit that would endup with two fuse or sum such non desirable connections?

Daniel
                  Sorry, I'm just catching back up to this thread. I'm working on the layout as I think the design has come together pretty well.

My plan was to offer different mounting plates to match the two hole patterns either diagonal (as in the first picture) or horizontal as in the second/third. The basic size is still 2.0"x4"x1.5" (or there abouts). Don't want to commit till the layout is done. It is getting a bit more squashed.

As far as connectors, with the functionality I'm adding at the moment (4 switched and 1 un-switched power circuits) I'm going to need 10 position connector in addition to three discrete wires:
                  • Battery(+)
                  • R/R(+)
                  • Single point ground

I don't think there is any point to an adapter harness as there are only 7 or the 10 wires available even in the top fuse box.

I should mention that I'm making the box jumper-able for either high side or low side control for the Switched ACC. That means that it would be easy to either wire your horn button (that grounds were active) to the 4th circuit to power Hons. If can also be jumper-ed for high side control which means you apply 12V and the circuit comes on. If you leave it open then it just powers with the ignition switch.

The other circuit is for the Headlamp and if you run the start button output to the SSPB (Y/G wire that goes to the solenoid), then it will cut out that circuit when cranking the engine.

The other two enables are for the ignition switch and the Kill switch which I can see getting away from those two.

During my testing the circuit protection worked great. I did a short test and the FET's limited the current to 12A before a thermal limit shutting it off. Basically you can do anything with the output and the device just turns it off if there is too much demand. remove the short and everything is back to normal. I have gone out on a limb a bit to add a buzzer along with teh flashing RED LED. This should only come on in case of a fault. The LED is kind of mandatory, but I realized that it is also under a cove and can't be seen so unless someone wants to put a remote flasher on the dash, you wont know and that is where the buzzer come in. I also have a jumper to disable it if you realize there is a problem and it is just bugging you.
                  Last edited by posplayr; 07-08-2013, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                    Yep... for us volume has 3 or preferably 4 zeros following the first number
                    Well that would be nice, but for the moment it will have to be 25 units

Comment

Very interesting and a brilliant idea!

Just a question or two:

Will your unit have any sort of warning when a circuit has been automatically cut due to a short?
                      I had a Harley here with a short to ground in the handlebar switch and the audible ticking of the 15A auto fuse was an immediate clue.

Lets say you have installed it in place of a 5 fuse unit, will there be an indication as to which circuit is switched out during a fault?

Will you have any manual method of isolating a "fused" circuit to allow easy fault finding? Based on pulling a fuse.

Comment

Can anybody give me some accurate dimensions on either of the fusebox styles above? I need the overall width and length of the box itself without the mounting tabs or connector. And then include the center to center width of the mounting holes.

If you have a caliper to be within +/-0.020" that would be great.

Comment

The one in top photo is looks like mine

L - 3.525
                          W - 1.535
                          C/C - 2.270

Comment

Originally posted by subid View Post
                            The one in top photo is looks like mine

L - 3.525
                            W - 1.535
                            C/C - 2.270
                            Thanks, that means the principle widths are the same as the later spade type fuse box and I'm good with the box I'm working with . It will be a little tight and need allen head screws to mount but look like it will fit in the OEM locations without having to relocate holes (width of the SSPB will be about 1.75").

Comment

I can probably do the other one... looks like the GS1000 one. I even have a spare you could borrow if it would help.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
                              1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

The glass style off a 78 1000 is:
                                40mm wide
                                58mm long
                                35mm tall with the cover
                                58mm center to center at the mounting holes
                                72.5mm total width @ mount ears
                                Hope that helps

Comment

Working...
                                X