No announcement yet.

1981 GS450T with (ET/X) parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gertig, I have both models as 400's both are 1981, T and E . I expect they are pretty similar as to 450 differences.

On these GSX400's (the x means 4 valve's per piston) there are some subtle differences in
    tank mounting 1 bolt instead of two at the rear of it,
    seat(quite a bit different as to mounting-the T seat BOLTS on, the E seat has a key lock to remove it from the tailpiece,
    rear fender attachment bolts are actually in different places etc. ...
    the sidecovers have totally different attachments. The E ones have hooks on the top, (seat needs removal to get em off!)while the T has the push-on tabs- -to- rubber- O ring on all sides.
    Wheel sizes are also different but easily swappable..E has 2x18" , T has 19"front,17" rear. E has narrower wheels..
    All that said, I think it's possible to sawp everything over but you'd be doing some welding or some magic with clamps and bolts.

Comment

Pix of swapped tank

aha. Here's more.

so that's the 400E tank on a T frame. The welded-on coil mounts would need cutting off the T. Note in the next pictures that the E straps the coils onto frame...This is the E-can't really see how in this, but it keeps the coils much more compactly to the frame. A parts fiche may show better.

and this is the T showing welded-on coil mounts. The E tank is just too narrow and you'd have to cut stuff.

now lets go back a few steps. see the two bolts on a T tank...?this is another T, but the same as to fitments

and here's the E tank...one bolt. Also, note the tabs for sidecovers I mentioned, if you can see em here.

now, I can't say if this is true for a 450 but there may be some points to consider before starting ...
      I still think you could switch tanks, and sidecovers but it'll be some work.

Comment

That's *exactly* the same set up as the two valve 450E's... which is what I have.

Single bolt at the back, coils up under the tank either side of the centre spar of the frame, and those same brackets for the side covers.

There are also the round brackets with rubber grommets to accept the nipple from the side covers to hold them on.

Personally, a lower set of handlebars and re-cut foam in the seat should be enough to "cafe" a T...
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I did it. I put an E tank on my T frame.

The front mounts for the T tank are too wide for the E tank, you must cut those. Luckily the positioning of the new mounts already exists, you just have to drill it out and find a bar + a way to secure said bar.

The rear mount on the E tank is a single bolt, the T frame is set up for the double bolt. I made a bracket that bolts into the double hole frame and goes to a single hole at the tank.

The coils must be moved. As previously pictured they are too wide as is on the T frame. I chopped off the brackets and made up some to position and hold them as they are on the E frame.

Overall its an easy swap, It'd be much easier to find and E/S Model bike to start with, but make due with what you've got. You'll also gain nearly a gallon of fuel capacity, which is awesome.

Comment

aha! right, guys.(nice bike!) ...I missed that bit about the front mounting knobs for the tank being wrong on the T ... Yes, that's right, pete- I have the O ring +nubby on the bottom only on the 400E sidecover....and as jeffasaurus shows you maybe can not bother with the sidecovers anyways.

Comment

Working...
            X