No announcement yet.

Compu-Fire SERIES R/R Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the info, Jim, I just ordered one from Amazon to replace my Electrex shunt type.

1979 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by gsgeezer View Post
      Thanks for the info, Jim, I just ordered one from Amazon to replace my Electrex shunt type.

Note this is what will be missing from the Compufire and you should probably order or otherwise obtain before hand.

Comment

Thanks, I have a NAPA just blocks away.

1979 GS1000

Comment

An interesting thread discussing Compufire and SH-775 Series R/R's. It appears that in comparable tests the SH-775 gets hotter for high current applications and it was also noticed at high RPM for (16K RPM) there was one instance over voltage break down in regulation reported on the SH-775. Not likely an issue with any GS's around here.

Comment

I installed the series R/R on my bike along with Jim's (pospalyr) SSPB fuse block replacement.
            I took a 300 mile ride and my average temp has always been around 230-240 and up to 300 in high heat/hills/traffic. The average temp with the series R/R was around 200 and rose all the way up to 210 climbing the Grapevine (LA pass)
            I was so happy not to have to keep an eye on my gauge and just ride.
            BIG DIFFERENCE!
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
              and it was also noticed at high RPM for (16K RPM) {above 9K} there was one instance over voltage break down in regulation reported on the SH-775.
              Will install a digital Volt meter to keep an eye on it.

Thanks for the link.
              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post

Thanks for the link.
                I actually did this on a previous effort. I bought one of those small LED volt meters on Ebay and installed it inside my tachometer. It took some patience to CAREFULLY cut a window just big enough for the 3-digit LED to fit through. It worked real nice. I think it was a .28" size digits, so the window was about 1.25"x.5"

Comment

Originally posted by bwanna View Post
                  I actually did this on a previous effort. I bought one of those small LED volt meters on Ebay and installed it inside my tachometer. It took some patience to CAREFULLY cut a window just big enough for the 3-digit LED to fit through. It worked real nice. I think it was a .28" size digits, so the window was about 1.25"x.5"
                  Do you have any pictures you could post?

Comment

GS1000, rebuilt engine with 1100 Wiseco's, WebCams, ported head, 34mm RS, fairly open Yoshi exhaust, no oil cooler (yet), planning to run a LED headlight.
                    I will use the bike for road use but also take it to the track.

i have been reading up on this subject, found Jim's Compufire installation instructions https://www.keepandshare.com/doc/409...8k?da=y&dnad=y
                    Electronics is not my thing so i am looking for confirmation that i understood things right and some advice please.
                    Can you please check me on below ?

- both the Shendingen SH775 and the CompuFire 55402 are a huge improvement over stock and both replace the old regulator as well as rectifier
                    - The SH775 mounts to the original mounting points, the CompuFire will fit by drilling 2 new holes in the electrics plate.
                    - the CompuFire is a switching design that shuts off rotor outputs and in doing so does not draw load when not needed.
                    Advantages : - no power lost by drawing power that is not needed (up to 1/3 hp)
                    - less useless amps converted into heat in RR and stator
                    - cooler stator, extended lifespan and cooler engine oil
                    Disadvantage : CompuFire way more expensive than a SH775.

I am leaning towards the CompuFire because of less heat and small power gained.

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                    the 55402 is the only 3 phase SERIES R/R compufire has. All the rest are two phase.
                    I found these 2, both 3 phase and 55402, they are the same ?

What confuses me is the description on the Harley one :

"The Compu-Fire 40 AMP 3 Phase charging systems provide 25 AMPS at idle and 40 AMPS continuously above 2800 RPM."

Compu-fire 55402 Voltage Regulator 3-Phase 40 amp For Harley-Davidson | eBay Motors, Parts & Accessories, Motorcycle & Scooter Parts & Accessories | eBay!

Thanks !
                    Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                    VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                    Bikecliff's website
                    The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

The Compu-Fire R/R will handle 40A but the Suzuki AC generator is incapable of rising to that level, so it doesn't matter. I got my Compu-Fire 55402 for size, It's a lot smaller than the SH-775 and pretty much loafs along staying cooler than what was on the bike. It's probably the better of the two but they both do the job. I doubt the power gain is anything more than theoretical in any case you wouldn't notice it but you can't go wrong with The Compu-Fire. I installed mine when Jim first started talking about the Series R/R's and would get another one if I ever have the need.
                      Last edited by OldVet66; 06-12-2017, 06:14 PM.
                      '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

i thought the switching design of the CompuFire would make sure that if only 25A is needed, only 25A is drawn, not 40A continuously. I must have misunderstood
                        Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                        VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                        Bikecliff's website
                        The Stator Papers

Comment

Originally posted by Rijko View Post
                          i thought the switching design of the CompuFire would make sure that if only 25A is needed, only 25A is drawn, not 40A continuously. I must have misunderstood
                          True; the reason to get rid on 40 amp fuse and use the 15 amp fuse in the fuse box is that you will have better protection.

Comment

Jim - thanks, i take it you agree on my other conclusions and will be ordering the Harley one based on your advice ! Must have missed the tip on replacing the fuse in other threads, but will do that also.

Oldvet66, i found your GS850G-Compufire-R-R-and-Caltric-Stator-install thread and will be following it with interest !

Standing on the shoulders of giants here, thank you guys.
                            Last edited by Rijko; 06-12-2017, 07:18 PM.
                            Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                            VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                            Bikecliff's website
                            The Stator Papers

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                              That is exactly what i planned to do.

Don't think this was mentioned in other threads on this subject, expect max. 14 volt.
                              Compu-Fire was quick to confirm, good service !

Comment: i found this in the Compu-Fire installation instructions (does not cover the 55402/55403)

TROUBLE SHOOTING
                              1. Do not use test procedure found in the factory shop manual. The Compu-Fire voltage regulator uses high efficiency series circuitry. The electronic circuitry is completely different.
                              2. With the main switch OFF, measure the voltage from the regulator output terminal to ground. The reading should be 12 - 13 volts. If there is no voltage reading, the battery is disconnected.
                              3. Start the engine and bring the RPM to 1500. The voltage should rise 1/2 to 1 volt. This indicates that the voltage regulator is charging. This completes the test.

Do these procedures and values also apply to the 55402/55403 RR ?

Is there a way to distinguish the 55402 from the 55403 ?
                              Hello Rijk,

This method of testing applies to all of the series regulators Compu-Fire manufactures. The 55402 and 55403 are the exact same regulator, the 55403 is supplied with extra wire and connectors to allow for custom applications.

Best Regards,

Last edited by Rijko; 06-16-2017, 05:39 PM.
                              Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                              VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                              Bikecliff's website
                              The Stator Papers

Comment

I'm leaning toward the Comp U Fire because it has fewer plugs.
                                sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Working...
                                X