Moto Viz to get more out of your SSPB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moto Viz to get more out of your SSPB

EDIT: Why would you want to use a Moto Viz over any of the other available offerings. The Moto Viz will be more reliable because it can fail and the brakes and the headlamp will continue to operate as normal. The Headlamp modulator is based on sending a composite control signal to the SSPB headlamp cutout function. So if it fails, the headlamp just reverts back to no disabled. The SSPB has been designed to delive power to teh headlamps and is very reliable and that reliability is not reduced in any way by teh external modulation of the SSPB by the Moto Viz. You will need to check if you HID can tolerate the modulation. In testing of a new 55W HID I see no reason so far why it will not. Standard H-4 bulbs will certainly be compatible. The Moto Viz will allow you to adjust the setting (within legal limits) so that your combination of lights can be modulated the way you want.

The Brake modulator will have similar design features, in that the Moto Viz tail, will by default failure revert back to normal brake light operation. I'm am not sure that the $3 brake modulator from China will do that. The Moto Viz is also fully compatible with LED,HID or Incandescent bulbs.

OK I said I would be introducing some "plans" for new products; this one is pretty straight forward and I want to gauge interest and support before committing to it.

The name is Moto Viz so that you can enhance your Motorcycle Vizibility and therefore your survivability on the road.

There are a lot of product on the market that are very much related, so to even consider doing this I need to add all of the bells and whistles with all the flexibility that most of the other products are trying to achieve and hopefully do it better and at cheaper cost (at least for the time being).

This one could have taken on several forms and I have wrestled with it for the last couple of weeks. But in the end to keep it simpler, I have settled on a version that leverages the SSPB. Although tying one product to another product could be viewed as limiting, the fact of the matter is that if this does get popular it will be knocked off, so it is better to do something that supports the SSPB and allows owners to get more utility from their SSPB investments. So if you already have one or plan on getting a SSPB, then the Moto Viz is well suited improve your survival rate on the roads. We are fining that once the O/R circuit gets past the ignition switch, fuse block and the right hand connectors , you actually can get a good voltage to your headlamps with minimal voltage lose. Therefore there really is no need for further relays and the SSPB can be used to do modulation with these advanced feature. I don't plan on integrating this into the SSPB as it would take too many more wires and it is best left separate from the SSPB.

I only have a preliminary design at the moment, no schematic, no layouts and no software. However, I probably will have some available in 2-3 months as I work on some other projects. At the moment I figure these should be competitive at $99.

So again this will be a poll to see what peoples opinions are.

I don't have a SSPB and don't plan on getting one.
    35.71%
    I like the SSPB, but I ride like I'm invisible so I don't need no increased Viz
    7.14%
    I'm interested in the SSPB but I already have modulators.
    14.29%
    I have a SSPB and I might consider a Moto Viz.
    28.57%
    I have a SSPB and I want a Moto Viz.
    14.29%
    Last edited by posplayr; 03-17-2014, 03:27 PM.

Staying Visible on the Road

With motorcycle accidents up from previous years, and the CHP talking about a renewed focus on motorcycle safety, it’s a good time to think about getting noticed in traffic. The most common motorcycle accidents occur when other drivers fail to spot an approaching bike. While the CHP is right to urge everyone on the road to pay particular attention to motorcyclists, there are several things you can do to get noticed while riding your bike. The following options are by no means exclusive but they do give you a good idea of some of the best practices available to the motorcyclist who values his/her life.

Headlight Flashers are devices that modulate your bike’s headlight making it appear to flash something like a turn-signal. Under California Vehicle Code 25251.2, such devices are legal in California so long as they are only active during daylight and so long as the flash frequency is kept between 200 and 280 flashes per minute. Research has shown that daytime headlights do a lot to help make cars and bikes more noticeable to the human eye and headlight flashers improve on that concept.

Brake Light Flashers are very similar to headlight flashers but they modulate your brake light instead of your headlight. These devices use special circuitry to flash the brake light for a few seconds every time you apply your brakes. Under California Vehicle Code section 25251.5, the brake lights of a vehicle may be flashed up to four times in the first four seconds after actuation. This helps to catch the attention of the cars behind you without confusing them about your intention to stop. Motorcycles are relatively small and their brake lights are often not particularly noticeable. Flashing the light can be a good way to grab attention in a quick-stop situation. A quick caveat about both headlight and brake-light flasher units, make sure that whatever model you use comes equipped with a fail-safe mechanism that restores normal light functionality in the event that the flasher unit goes bad. Otherwise you might find yourself without any light at all, a worst-case scenario. Likewise, make sure that any such device is properly installed. The last thing you want is a bad connection intermittently cutting out your light entirely, especially because you may not notice the defect until it’s too late.

Reflective Clothing comes in many styles and colors ranging from bright orange or neon green vests which can be worn over just about anything to simple reflective strips sewn into a good riding jacket. Such gear reflects ambient light such as from vehicle headlights and serves to catch the attention of nearby drivers. The same goes for reflectors built into the back of a good helmet and for the reflectors manufacturers put on all motorcycles. While matt colors are often stylish, wearing only dark clothing while riding is a very bad idea. - See more at: http://www.personalinjury-attorney.c....241vfjJe.dpuf
    Last edited by posplayr; 03-21-2014, 05:00 AM.

Comment

Reserved.......#2

Comment

Cool stuff Pos!

Comment

I need a new poll option: I plan on getting a SSPB in the future, and will strongly consider ordering a MotoViz at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffyn View Post
            I need a new poll option: I plan on getting a SSPB in the future, and will strongly consider ordering a MotoViz at the same time.
            You should be able to pick multiple options, 3 and 4 would seem to fit for your situation.

Comment

Wow it is pure apathy or what, I gave more options to say I don't want one than I probably shoudl have and still only one negative response.

Don't people know that your biggest danger in riding a bike (beyond your own screw ups) is the cager that pulls in front of you because they don't see you. An irritating blinking HID should get their attention enough to avoid running you down.

I have noticed the local motorcycle cops here in Tuscon are sporting headlamp modulators. Also why no interest in brake modulators unless you think it is going to fail some how?

I ordered one of these to use with my LED's until I can get a Moto Vis produced. I can review it later after I get one.

Here is a cheap headlamp modulator, but of course it is ilegal as it doe not have teh DOT required auto off.

his one says it is legal, looks like a no frills modulator.

This one is more full featured and the one I made sure all of it's features are included in the Moto Viz.

For a brake modulator, this one almost seems over the top, but then again people might want all the bells and whistles. The add alludes to the fact that it is also using deceleration. The Moto Viz will have an optional input for SPEED. This could be the Reed switch signal for your TSCU and would work fine. This gives a very easily determined signal when you are slowing down and will activate the brakes. No trying to determine deceleration from a noise and vibration inundated accelerator.

Comment

Bump Bump ................

Comment

My Answer is as close as i could get to what i wanted to say.

I will get a SSPB, im interested in the Motoviz.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffyn View Post
                    yep, this ....... ( only 1 vote allowed so I went with 3)

Comment

Cool stuff, retail is $450+

Another great product that we found at the Long Beach Progressive Motorcycle Show are these awesome LED Motorcycle Lights, by Clearwater lights. They use a ...

Comment

Looks like it might actually work.

Here I used a Sig Gen to drive a SSPB which modulated the voltage to the HID. I will need to get a light meter to test it but it would appear that the period and duty cycle can be set to make a legal HID modulator at least for this DDM HID.

The light measure the will measure the peak to trough variation duty cycle as well as the depth of the trough relative to peak. The is a pretty big legal range so even though the HID is technically harder to meet spec, I think there will be a legal solution.

Demo of a 4Hz (statutory) blink rate at 15% duty cycle driving a DDM 55W H/L HID bulb
                        Last edited by posplayr; 03-26-2014, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X