No announcement yet.

GS1000 streetfighter idea w/ picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the comments/compliments guys.

Also a huge THANK YOU to everyone here. This project could've never been done without your priceless insight, knowledge, encouragement and constructive criticism.

Comment

I just had a look back at the whole of this thread and gotta say big respect for all the trials, tribulations, ups and downs as well as the commitment shown through the build. Thanks for keeping us glued intently with your updates and I hope it inspires others to do the same.

What I couldn't believe is the number of folk who actually were negative about this project. Now I know there are the purists who want to keep every nut and bolt as Mr Suzuki intended and that is well and good for those who want a showpiece/investment/easily maintained standard bike.
      I never owned a bike I didn't modify to suit me and to be honest riding a standard 25 year old GS would not interest me at all, I ride all year round in British (which is an anagram of bloody ****ty) weather and get to use all the new Busa's and B'King Gixer etc demo bikes from work. I wanted something different, a bit of a challenge, something not many can be bothered to do. Any idiot can get his visa/amex card out and buy the dream....few can build it themselves.

Well done PJ, hope it brings you loads of grins

John

Comment

Hi PJ,
        Just read your first couple of posts in this thread again. Look how far you have got. Well done!!!!
        I was amazed as well as how many guys tried to convince you to keep it stock.
        AND NOW RIDE IT!!!!!!!!
        Have fun,
        Ed

Comment

I agree with ed, good job ignoring the people telling you to keep it stock. someone on the first page said you'd be turning something unique into something common? interesting, a one off custom is considered more mainstream than a stock factory bike...

Comment

Wow, awesome bike. Got a pic gallery of the details?

Comment

Just bought a 82 GS1100 and 04 GSXR front end and the link for the bearing guy works, but theres no contact information...Would you have his email address or phone #. thanks.

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
              An update-

The toughest part about doing this particular front end swap is the difference in steering stem diameter between the GS1000 and the GSXR 1000. The bearings on the bottom are the same size, but the bearings on the top are different.

The steering stem bearings on the two bikes are like this:

GS1000 UPPER:
              25 mm inner diameter, 47 mm outer race diameter, and 15 mm height

GS1000 LOWER:
              30 mm inner diameter, 55 mm outer race diameter, and 17 mm height

GSXR1000 UPPER:

GSXR1000 LOWER:

So, that leaves you with a few options. You can turn the GSXR steering stem down 5 mm on a lathe to get the upper steering stem to get it to fit the stock GS1000 bearing. This however potentially compromises the strength of the stem. You can get a new stem made to match the GSXR lower triple and the GS steering stem. But this is a PITA, involving drawing up accurate specifications to send to a machine shop for fabrication.

Or you can get the correct 30x47x15 bearing to mate the two. \\/ This guy custom makes these bearings for front end swaps, they are not available from any bearing manufacturer. Just so happens that the SV steering bearings are the same as the GS. Gotta love Suzuki interchangablilty.

Ground clearance shouldn't be too much of an issue as the new forks are only .5" shorter than the GS1000 forks. The main potential ground clearance issue is the fact that the new Gixxer front end has a lower profile 17" tire instead of the 19" on the GS1000. But the radial tire and vastly superior front forks should help prevent bottoming out. To be determined.

Comment

Comment

Thanks for the information. Just got one more...If get a 2006 rear swingarm, such as yours, will I be able to use 1996 gsxr1100 rear wheel or is there an axle size issue?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by patrickmcp View Post
                    Thanks for the information. Just got one more...If get a 2006 rear swingarm, such as yours, will I be able to use 1996 gsxr1100 rear wheel or is there an axle size issue?

Thanks
                    Honestly I dunno. You'd have an easier time getting a 2004/2005 GSXR 750 5.5x17" rim in the 06 1000 swingarm as it bolts right up using the 750 wheel spacers. I've heard of people using Gixxer 1100 wheels in the stock GS1100 swingarm though, ask/search around on this site and oldskoolsuzuki.info

Comment

Wow, haven't been on in awhile and I gotta say the bike looks great. Last time I was around the welding was still in progress for the rear.

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
                        Tank, tail, and seatrim are back from the painter. I'm happy with the way it turned out. The SUZUKI logo is painted on. Now I just need to find a Yoshimura decal with a black "YOSHIMURA" so it stands out better on the white background.

Could I see some more pics of the bike up close..this thing is awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                          Could I see some more pics of the bike up close..this thing is awesome!
                          Thanks for your interest man, it's been a fun project and the bike's a hoot to ride. It's not perfect by a long shot but I've learned a ton on this build. Here's a close-up pic.

Comment

80GS1000,

That dark blue on your body work is fantastic, you've got a top notch bike there.

I've seen and taken a lot of pictures of GS bikes and by far the view from the rear / side looking forward is my favorite.

Comment

Wow. Unreal. I want it .

BTW - where is the battery? -nick

Comment

Originally posted by Clumzi View Post
                                Wow. Unreal. I want it .

BTW - where is the battery? -nick
                                The battery is directly under the driver's seat.

Comment

Working...
                                X