Front fork swap for a '77 750??? Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front fork swap for a '77 750??? Options

Ok, just got a 1977 Gs750 is good shape. It has wire wheels and a single front disc. I'm going to cafe the bike a bit (lower bars etc..) and do some motor mods but I'm looking into my options of updating the front brakes. I have a line on some mags with the dual discs, master cylinder, two calipers, but I know I will need to replace the lower fork legs too. Or at least the right one. My question is, what model fork legs are interchangeable with my forks as I look around?

Also I may just replace the whole front end all together, (forks,tree's,wheels, discs,etc..) . What model front ends swap easy into the 77 GS 750 frame?? Kantanas???, GS1100??? etc...

And finally, anybody got what I need to do this swap?? Mostly the fork legs?

I'm in San Diego, willing to drive to pickup!! Thanks

You have 35mm fork tubes. You can use the forks off a GS650 (rare) or a 8 valve GS750E. Later model GS750's have leading axle forks and you don't want that. The 850, 1000 and 82/83 1100 have 37mm tubes so you would also have to swap the triple tree.
    You will also need BOTH lower fork legs to do a dual swap. Single disk bikes have a larger disc, so the caliper mounts a bit higher than a dual disk bike.
    Here's how I did it on a single disk bike.

P.S. When you get done, I wouldn't mind having that old single disk rotor. They work well for doing the "Ninja" swap. Let me know if you want to sell it.
    Last edited by Guest; 05-31-2007, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Great, so will the 850,1000, 1100 or GSXR, Katana etc... front ends fit on as a whole swap?? I have a friend at a junkyard who comes across this stuff all the time.

Considering the benefits of newer wheel, brake, tire combos.

You can have my stuff free when I'm done with this job...I won't have a use for it and I value your help.

Adam

Comment

Not without some work on the steering stem. The bottom bearing is larger than the 750 bearing. you would have to modify the pivot shaft of the newer front end.

Terry

Comment

Forget it, I'm not getting into that.
          I just found the forks I need from a '79 GS750 that had duals and I found a guy that has the two calipers, lines, rotors, master cyl., etc..

PS: Any good source to find good replacement drilled/vented rotors out there?? Or hell, even replacement ones at all??

Lastly, best brands and sources for new fork seals, caliper rebuild kits and spoke kits to re-lace the wheels.

Thanks for the help all!

Comment

I swapped my front end out to an 1100EZ. Other than install new bearings, which needed done anyway, the only other thing was to grind off the steering stop from the lower yoke. It works perfectly now and was an easy conversion.

All 1100 models has bearings:
            Upper: 25mm x 47mm x 15mm
            Lower: 30mm x 55mm x 17mm

750 has these bearings:
            Upper: 25mm x 48mm x 16mm
            Lower: 27mm x 48mm x 14mm
            (ID X OD X Hight)

Here's what you'd need.
            An upper bearing in a 25x48x16 and a 30x48x14 lower bearing. All Balls makes them: http://www.allballsracing.com/Produc...ngBearings.asp
            Have a dealer press off your old bearings (and the races).

Try this link too, it's is helpful:
            http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/tec...head_bearings/

Comment

Well if you can install an 1100EZ front end you can install a 2nd gen gixxer front end with HUGE improvements in handling and braking. I would pursue that route if you're going through the trouble to upgrade your front end anyway. Check out Katman's and my threads on the subject.

Comment

Working...
              X