1983 GS 650 GL oil change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 GS 650 GL oil change

I know this is probably a really dumb question, but I've used the "search" feature and it doesn't come up with anything.........I just bought my son his first bike, a 1983 GS650GL that's in really nice shape with only 16,000 miles...the first thing I wanna do is get some fresh oil in it, and filter.............HOW do I go about an oil change on this bike?....I'm very familiar with older Hondas, but I've never done a change on a Suzuki........how do you get to the filter, and how much oil does it hold with a filter change.....drain plug(s) location..........is there more than one?....and also...how much/what weight gear oil for the rear end shaft?..thanks guys!

I have an 82 GS650GL, so I think it should be the same. There is a plug directly under the engine for the oil drain. Also, make sure that you drain the transmission as well (left side near the rear of transmission). You'll get about a quart outta that. The filter is on the front of the engine. 3 nuts and your there. Make sure that the clover leaf o-ring gets back in there correctly or you will have a mess on your hand. For the rear end, use GL-5. Drain it, put the drain in, then fill it up to the level of the fill plug. Oh, and mine takes 3.5 quarts with new filter. Have fun! Hope this helps.

Comment

I need to do an oil change on mine as well (81 GS650G). I assume it would be the same as both of yours. So there is 2 separate drain plugs? One for the engine and one for the transmission? Is the tranny one on the shift side close to some sort of drain hole? And is the only filling point on the brake side (ie fills both tranny and engine)? Is a FRAM filter good for this bike (CH6000 I think)? And can I use and 10W 40 oil?

Sorry for all the questions, but as you can probably tell I have not done this before.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by zx7 View Post
        I need to do an oil change on mine as well (81 GS650G). I assume it would be the same as both of yours. So there is 2 separate drain plugs? One for the engine and one for the transmission? Is the tranny one on the shift side close to some sort of drain hole? And is the only filling point on the brake side (ie fills both tranny and engine)? Is a FRAM filter good for this bike (CH6000 I think)? And can I use and 10W 40 oil?

Sorry for all the questions, but as you can probably tell I have not done this before.

Thanks.
        It should be the same for your bike. There's two seperate drain plugs. One on the oil pan on the very bottom of the bike, one on the shifter side beneath the secondary drive gear, both 13/16" bolts. One filling point on the brake side, 10/40 is recommended as per the manual. As far as filters go, I use Suzuki filters (4$) instead of FRAM (7$). Good luck. I also suggest you get a manual as it will have loads of good information on how to do general maintenance etc.

Comment

Originally posted by JTsGS650 View Post
          It should be the same for your bike. There's two seperate drain plugs. One on the oil pan on the very bottom of the bike, one on the shifter side beneath the secondary drive gear, both 13/16" bolts. One filling point on the brake side, 10/40 is recommended as per the manual. As far as filters go, I use Suzuki filters (4$) instead of FRAM (7$). Good luck. I also suggest you get a manual as it will have loads of good information on how to do general maintenance etc.

Thanks! So the only reason you use the Suzuki is because they are cheaper? I already picked the FRAM one up so I will use that this time I guess, but that is good to know for next time. I have seen references to Haynes and Clymer on the site here - is one better then the other?

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by zx7 View Post
            Thanks! So the only reason you use the Suzuki is because they are cheaper? I already picked the FRAM one up so I will use that this time I guess, but that is good to know for next time. I have seen references to Haynes and Clymer on the site here - is one better then the other?

Thanks again!
            You'll get alot of different responses if you ask about oil filter preferences. I think if you just change the oil/filter regularly you'll be fine. I think the FRAM filter comes with a new o-ring gasket, where the suzuki one does not, so that is a plus. I have a Clymer manual and it suits me just fine. It was about 30$ or so online.

Where are you located anyway?

Comment

You'll get alot of different responses if you ask about oil filter preferences. I think if you just change the oil/filter regularly you'll be fine. I think the FRAM filter comes with a new o-ring gasket, where the suzuki one does not, so that is a plus. I have a Clymer manual and it suits me just fine. It was about 30$ or so online.

Where are you located anyway?

Thanks - and yeah the FRAM one does have a new o-ring with it.

I definitely need to get a manual - I have a bit of an oil leak I need to fix as well. I am having trouble locating the source though. I am starting to think it is that drain hole near the transmission plug. From another thread it sounds like that drain hole may come from the starter and I need to replace an o-ring in there if that is the source.

I am located about an hour south of Winnipeg, MB!

Comment

Well, welcome. This forum and a service manual will be your best friend when working on your 'new' bike.

Comment

Well, welcome. This forum and a service manual will be your best friend when working on your 'new' bike.

Thanks - and it already has proven to be so!

Comment

Thanks JT! I had downloaded Cliff's GS850G service manual and assumed that the 650 was pretty similar and would have gear oil in the secondary gear case. Well, I need to get that gas contaminated engine oil out again since I didn't drain the trans last week. I've ridden it about 50 miles with contaminated oil now...hope I haven't done too much damage. It sure runs sweet though. I will have to get this taken care of tommorow. At least I have a diesel truck to burn my waste oil in LOL.

Comment

Engine oil! Which to use? Whats the best? Can I get it in vanilla flavour? You ask it and you'll get a thousand different answers on engine oil. The main issue for a bike with a wet clutch system is to ensure it has oil that is rated for wet clutch use. To remove any doubt about oil and wet clutch compatability use an engine oil with a JASO rating for motorcycles. Yes there are many other oils and almost all of us have used them at some stage but if you want to look after the clutch plates JASO is the way to go, cheers.
                      Shin-Ken 1074
                      1982 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Katana - BOM Nov 2011
                      1981 GSX1150 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight = 206 kg.

Comment

Go go BassCliff's web site, he has photo guides for changing all the various fluids on a GS850 (650 is similar but does not have a seperate secondary gear box). http://www.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/

For oil, one of the forum favorites is Rotella 5W-40 synthetic (available at Walmart for a fair price). Synthetic oil has superior hot temp protection abilities and will NOT make your clutch slip (since it's not more slippery, just more stable and durable). Another good choice and cheaper is Rotella (or any other) diesel engine oil. It's a smig thicker, 15W-40, than stock recommended weight and has lots of good anti wear additives which are relevant for motorcycles.

Good luck and welcome.
                        Last edited by Nessism; 03-27-2008, 10:21 AM. Reason: Added details about the 650 secondary gear case.
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by GSJohn View Post
                          Thanks JT! I had downloaded Cliff's GS850G service manual and assumed that the 650 was pretty similar and would have gear oil in the secondary gear case. Well, I need to get that gas contaminated engine oil out again since I didn't drain the trans last week. I've ridden it about 50 miles with contaminated oil now...hope I haven't done too much damage. It sure runs sweet though. I will have to get this taken care of tommorow. At least I have a diesel truck to burn my waste oil in LOL.
                          Two things to note: the 650 use engine oil to lubricate secondary gears (no separate case with gear oil) and please get the gas out of the oil and fix your leaking carbs. The gas/oil ruined the seal between my cases and made for oil leaks all over.

If your diesel was similar to mine, you could run up to 25% gasoline with diesel without trouble.

Comment

In a GS, you're changing oil every 2,000 miles, so the filter brand doesn't make the slightest bit of difference. It's true that Fram's car oil filters are junk, and I would never use one in my Toyota, but it really doesn't matter on a motorcycle. I use them when it's more convenient to grab one at Advance Auto.

The o-ring that comes with the Fram CH6000 is always suspect -- sometimes they work fine, sometimes they're too thin. I usually just put in a new Suzuki o-ring every spring and use the same one all summer -- they'll work fine through multiple oil changes.

If using a Fram bugs you, Napa auto parts also sells a nice high quality filter made by Wix. It also comes with a good o-ring. It's a PS4931. Sometimes you have to pimp-slap the pimply teenagers a little to force them to go get it, though -- a couple of times I've walked in and been told flatly that "we don't got no modersickle oll filders".

No, I'm afraid you do, Skippy...
                            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Generally I buy a few of the wix ones at a time if I run out of Suzuki filters, because it's always a hassle. They have to order the filter specifically for me and it always gets abducted by a mongoose riding an atv and...

Comment

Working...
                              X