Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No special tool required to remove valve shims!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
    As i have posted on another thread... just a word of caution about this method. I have seen it used once, and used it myself once, and both times resulted in a head removal. The first time, the process, while i dont know that it solely caused, at least contributed to a broken valve. The second time, the zip tie BROKE, falling down in the cylinder, thus, head removal. Not saying it doesnt work, it worked for a couple cylinders on both occasions just fine before the mishaps, but *I* personally have seen bad luck with it, so i wont be trying it again.
    Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
    Thee are different cable or zip ties. I find the black ones brittle and use white.
    Take a 5mm wide, approx tie and fold it in half. It needs to be about 250mm long initially. With a pliers make a 90 degree L at the folded end about 12-15 mm long. This is the part you slip under the valve head as it opens. Turn the cam to open the required valve. You will see the head appear in the spark plug hole. Insert the L at the end of the cable tie 'tool between the edge of the valve and the seat. Rotate the cam and the tie will prevent the valve closing leaving enough clearance at the cam lobe to extract the shim. At the first sign of wear on the cable tie replace it with another.
    Hmmm the 90 deg thing I never though about doing.To stop the breaking and falling into the cylinder doing a 180 and taping the end will stop that problem.Did it the wrong way as I halfed the length of the tie,that made the inner cylinders more of a challenge. Thanks to Crookedspoon for adding to this old thread and my knowledge.Yes it works BTW.

Comment

I'm so good at using zip ties, done it a million times, so that's what I stick with.

Comment

Working...
      X