No announcement yet.

GS Valve Shim Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to say thank you to Ray for his assistance with my shims. he was helpful, fast and provided everything I needed. I highly suggest you contact him for shims. And, if you work with him, send him a contribution. He is worth it and is saving you money.

Comment

I don't have any shims yet. planning a valve adjustment in the next few weeks. Should I order new ones? or should I "order" what i need from here, and send in my old ones? New to the community and not sure how everything works yet Thanks for your patience and reply!

Comment

I just used Ray this week for Shims. He is the Man, The Myth, The Legend.
        Thank you very much.

Comment

PM Sent... Thanks!

Comment

Thank you Ray! That was a much appreciated, very fast exchange of shims.

If only my new gasket got here that quickly!
            Roger

Current rides
            1983 GS 850G
            2003 FJR 1300A
            Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Hello everyone! I am new to the site and new with my 82 GS 1100. My intake shims range from 2.65 to 2.74, I have .025" clearance for them, way off. I have 2.46 to 2.62 shim for the exhaust valves. Which is not allowing my smallest gauge (.006") to not slide beneath. Does anyone want to trade shims?

Comment

Hey guys. I have 78 GS750. My shims are super tight after my engine rebuild. 2 out of eight are good, however I will be needing a couple 2.45s or smaller. Do you know if they come smaller than this? My smallest feeler gauge has 0 clearance even at 2.5. Any help is appreciated. i have plenty of 2.5-2.75 sizes.
                Thanks

Comment

Have a look at the first couple entries of this thread for some of the sizes available.
                  Many smaller than 2.45.
                  2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Do yu ship to The great north. Canada.

Comment

What's the process for the shim swap? I need 4 (2.60) and 1(2.70). I have 5 shims ready to exchange. Cool service by the way. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by BurtyMcSquirt View Post
                        What's the process for the shim swap? I need 4 (2.60) and 1(2.70). I have 5 shims ready to exchange. Cool service by the way. Thanks.
                        Instructions in first post.
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Ok, I'm a newb, what do the sizes with x at the end mean?

Comment

X shims are in between. I don't remember if they are loose or tight though...
                            sigpic
                            09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                            1983 GS1100e
                            82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                            1980 GS1260
                            Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by jdion81 View Post
                              Ok, I'm a newb, what do the sizes with x at the end mean?
                              If your size is 2.65x, the shim will likely measure right around 2.675 mm, which is half-way between 2.65 and 2.70.

Because the normal increment in shim size will take you from one extreme of the range to the other, you can use the "X" shims to take you just half-way through the range.

Did you notice the instructions in the spreadsheet how to enter the "X" values? Just for consistency, since the spreadsheet rounds to just two decimal places, add 0.02 to the number and enter a 2.60x as 2.62, and a 2.65x as 2.67. Doing it that way, as you look through your shim sizes, you will only see 0, 2, 5 and 7 at the end of your shim sizes, making it easy to tell whether they are 'full' shims or "X" shims.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I never put blind "trust" in any of them. I use digital dial calipers and recheck several times after rezeroing the calipers. That way I am dead certain of exactly how thick they are before installation.
                                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                                X