Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'80 GS850L --> Can I get a bigger tank???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'80 GS850L --> Can I get a bigger tank???

I saw that tank question up there, and my pathetic tank on my '80 850 GLT (suzuki's version of the sandwich) only holds 3.3gallons. Stopping every hour and a half sucks on long trips.

I desperately want the 850G tank, but I recall hearing that the L tank from '81 on was bigger than 3.3 gallon.

I have checked the frame diagrams for both G and GL in 80-81 , and they look exactly the same...

Anyone ever heard of this being pulled off without welding? I might do that, but it would probably be after this season, unless I get a windfall of money or find a nice tank for cheap.

POOT

I just looked up the specs in the Suzuki service manual, your tank is supposed to hold 13 liters (3.4 gallons). The later tanks (like my wife's 82) were rated at 17 liters (4.3 gallons). I don't know if the mounting points are any different, but it might be worth a try.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      I just looked up the specs in the Suzuki service manual, your tank is supposed to hold 13 liters (3.4 gallons). The later tanks (like my wife's 82) were rated at 17 liters (4.3 gallons). I don't know if the mounting points are any different, but it might be worth a try.

Tried it last summer. The tank is a couple inches longer on the 82, and the seat is different also. Some welding would definitely be required, but it looked like you would only need to move the mounting points. No new fabbing should be necessary, IIRC. Closer checking would be recommended rather than relying on my memory, if you try it.

If a solution is found that doesn't require hacking the frame, I'd be interested to hear about it too. I've even thought about an after market tank, but just researching that is a couple seasons away for me.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

the 83 850 is 5.8 gallons or 22 liters.

Comment

Looking at a couple of "L" models, as well as my 1100G, I have seen that they put the "front" mounts or hangers or what not a lil further away from the neck than the "standard" models. BUT most of the frames i have seen also still have the holes in the frame for the "standard" tanks. I reasoned, that were it done properly, one could retain the use of BOTH style tanks by cutting off the stock front studs on the L model, welding in bolts to BOTH sets of holes, and then having a long threaded stud that could be ran thru the frame in either position, allowing the use of either tank. Just a thought, but its certainly work-able.

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys.

I know a guy with a machine shop I would be able to use , as I seem to remember my manual saying that the later L models had even the 22L tank. I would definitely want that, since a 17L tank is not much of an increase over my current one now.

I get the feeling that I will probably have to wait

a: for a good looking tank at a reasonable price
            b: for the money to buy a good looking tank at a reasonable price

First I have to pony up the 1600 bones for my insurance.....[-o<

I will let you guys know of any progress I make in the department.

Comment

1600 bones!! JAYSUS! Yanno, the US $ may suck right now, but I would shoot myself if i had to pay that much for insurance!

Comment

Originally posted by catbed View Post
                the 83 850 is 5.8 gallons or 22 liters.
                Seems that all the G models have the same capacity at 5.8 gallons, although the styling changed a little for '82, but note that Poot is looking for info on an L model.

Originally posted by Poot View Post
                ... I seem to remember my manual saying that the later L models had even the 22L tank. I would definitely want that, since a 17L tank is not much of an increase over my current one now.
                I could not find anything that indicated that any of the Ls had a tank bigger than the 17L.

In your original post, you said "Stopping every hour and a half sucks on long trips." How fast are you travelling and how many miles per gallon are you getting? Ridden at legal speeds on the two-lane roads that we prefer, my wife's 850L gets between 45 and 50 mpg. With the approximately 3.3 gallons before hitting reserve, that's 140-160 miles. That is 2 1/2 - 3 hours of riding, which is better than your 1 1/2.

"
                sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                X