RMStator vs Electrosport Stator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RMStator vs Electrosport Stator?

OK, payday is tomorrow, I am buying a new stator for my 750E but am having trouble deciding which one to get. Is the Electrosport worth extra $25? Are there any pros or cons to each?

Lastly, if there's one within 50 miles of Chicago, let me know, I'd probaly pay a premium to go get it faster.

I'm going to replace the r/r with the honda 6 wire unit I have at the same time.

Never used RMStator...

But replaced my OEM stator with one from Electro which lasted about a season before the wire insulation split just beyond the rubber gasket where they leave stator cover. Resulted in short.

Electro warranteed the stator though and replaced at no charge....

Comment

I've used RM Stators on my GS550 and Honda VT750. They've lasted over 3 years with no problems.

Comment

ok, stupid question: is the stator cover gasket the same as the magneto cover gasket?

I'm looking at part number 1148349210 for my GS750EZ

And where can I but a set of hex head screws for this cover?
        Last edited by Guest; 06-06-2008, 11:15 AM. Reason: adding stuff

Comment

Originally posted by MikeG View Post
          ok, stupid question: is the stator cover gasket the same as the magneto cover gasket?

I'm looking at part number 1148349210 for my GS750EZ

And where can I but a set of hex head screws for this cover?
          Yes, most parts fiches call it a magneto cover gasket, "GASKET, MAG COVER", or similar.

I've used both the RMStator and the Electrosport stator part. I had to RMA the RMStator part but they guaranteed it, no problem. It's now in my parts stash as a spare. I installed the Electrosport part a couple months ago and so far, so good.

Doesn't Mr.Robert Barr <http://cycleorings.com> sell hex bolts too? There are kits all over the ebay stores, but I've never tried them.

EDIT: Oops, sorry. Mr. Robert Barr sells hex bolts for the intake boots.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
          Last edited by Guest; 06-06-2008, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Update: have to applaud RMStator for the customer service thus far. I bought it on Ebay at 9:15am. I called them to confirm the model per their email. Mike from RM called me back five minutes later to verify I had the 16vTSCC and it was shipped by 9:50am. Now that's fast!

Comment

RMStator is cool

Update: have to applaud RMStator for the customer service thus far. I bought it on Ebay at 9:15am. I called them to confirm the model per their email. Mike from RM called me back five minutes later to verify I had the 16vTSCC and it was shipped by 9:50am. Now that's fast!
              I agree Mr. MikeG. I've talked to RMStator on the phone a few times and they are really nice folks. All the best to you and your bike.

BassCliff

Comment

The Electrosport stator that I received didn't have very long leads coming off of it so it wasn't even close to an exact replacement. Instead of lenghtening the leads I changed the routing of the wires. Stator has been working good so far.....

Comment

Well,,,,,,,,,,,,,the stator gods are smiling down on the stator suppliers like RMStator and Electrosport..................they're selling a few for sure.............
                  I just ordered a stator and rectifier from RMStator for my 1984 GS750E myself.
                  Had several conversations to ensure they were sending the right stator which took a bit longer than expected. Both Sean and Mike seemed knowledgeable and quite willing to spend some time with the customer.
                  Shipped out today via UPS and got an email with a pro (tracking) number.
                  So far so good.
                  Just waiting for the part to come in.

Comment

Cooking with electrons

Originally posted by JayH View Post
                    The Electrosport stator that I received didn't have very long leads coming off of it so it wasn't even close to an exact replacement. Instead of lenghtening the leads I changed the routing of the wires. Stator has been working good so far.....
                    You are right Mr. JayH. I forgot to mention this. My Electrosport stator had shorter output wires too. It's a good thing my r/r wires were long enough. The RMStator wires were plenty long.

BassCliff

Comment

Just got it. 4 days from CA to IL, not bad. Also jsut got a call that the gasket came into Chicago Cycle so I'll be able to get working on this tomorrow night!

I'm going to do the stator and the r/r at the same time, I'm figuring on 2-2.5 hours, does that sound right?

Comment

Just got it. 4 days from CA to IL, not bad. Also jsut got a call that the gasket came into Chicago Cycle so I'll be able to get working on this tomorrow night!

I'm going to do the stator and the r/r at the same time, I'm figuring on 2-2.5 hours, does that sound right?

depends on your mechanical ability. but I would say that if you take your time and make sure you do everything right, then that would be a fair estimate of time.

Comment

Gor up at 8:30 this morning, had a Coke and moved all my stuff to parking lot outside and in the shade.

By 12:30 I was driving down the the Mods vs. Rockers rally in Chicago with my shiny new charging system fully functional \\/

PS, the rally was awesome! 400 bikes, not too many GS's but man there were some nice old Nortons and /5's and /2s and Triumphs, all in all a fantastic day with a huge crown of cool people. I'll look for links tomorrow, there should be some fottage of me zipping fown Ashland in the pack to the after party.

Comment

Went for a ride on Monday and halfway through the bike wouldn't start after coming out of a store. Push started it and limped home with the headlight turned off.

Just got the time to look at itW

R/R output to battery terminal shows 40 millivolts on positive and negative, not bad, the r/r is wired direct to the always hot output on the Electrosport with the sense wire on a switched direct connection.

When I connect the DVOM from the the stator wire to the case I get 21-24 ohms on two of the legs. According to the Stator papers I need a new stator.

Any idea as to what would kill a RM stator in just a couple years? I'm thinking it was something to do with the new wiring but don't know what to look for.

This sucks as I have been out of work since Aug. 8th. Anyone have a stator for a 1982 GS750E lying around?

Comment

And to follow up, when I get a new stator what do i look for or do to ensure this doesn't happen again? Or are stators just consumables that should expect to burn out every couple years?

Comment

Working...
                              X