Clutch won't engage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch won't engage

Glad I found out how to get to the site (thanks to Basscliff's site). Anyway, got the bike started the other day. Waiting to get some brake parts and figured I would see what would happen if I tried to start it in gear with the clutch pulled in, well it lurched forward. Apparently the clutch is not engaging. There is not to much free play in the clutch and it is a little hard to pull in. The clutch/transmission is somewhat of a mystery to me. Also, the bike sat for at least 1 1/2 years before I got it started, if that matters.

Any advice on what to look for?

Hi Mr. glstine,

It's usually not a good practice to start your bike with the transmission in gear. The cold/thick oil may cause extra friction on the clutch plates. Sometimes, on a cold morning, my bike will want to "creep" forward if I put it into gear before the oil has had a chance to warm up for a minute.

Does it act the same after the motor has warmed up a little? Mr. Nessism has some clutch adjustment tips, specifically for the 550, that I've saved on my website. CLICK HERE.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

It was definitely cold (didn't even have any gas in the carbs) I was just messing around a little since I had nothing else to do (waiting on parts). I'll try when its warmed up and see what happens. Now I'm a little leary of putting it in gear while its running until I know the clutch is working properly.

Comment

When I was adjusting mine for a new cable I put it on the center stand. In neutral I'd engage the clutch and slowly push down on the shifter. I adjusted until it dropped smoothly in, if there was any noise as I tried to engage the transmission (again very slowly) I stopped. I did the same on the way out. On the center stand I could see at what point the rear wheel started to spin as I released the clutch. Maybe not a good method, but the adjustment procedure in the manual didn't seem complete.

Comment

The clutch pack can become stuck together from sitting along time. Both my bikes had been sitting for years. When I first got them, I removed and seperated all the clutch plates. The manual has specs for the steels and fiber plates. I replaced the fiber plates and clutch springs. One you put it back together, adjust the cable for the proper amount of freeplay. I've been using the rotella 15w-40 oil, and I noticed that on cold mornings the bike will move forward in first gear when the clutch lever is pulled in. Once the bike heats up, this disappears. I have considered switching to either a lighter weight oil for the winter or going with the 5w-40 synthetic.

Comment

Unfortunately my bike has a 4 into 4 exhaust so I don't have a center stand, been thinking about trying to find a way to rig up something so I can get it on the jack with the pipes on.

BTW - If anybody has a nice stock exhaust for a 1980 GS550 that they have laying around and would like to get rid of let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
              The clutch pack can become stuck together from sitting along time. Both my bikes had been sitting for years. When I first got them, I removed and seperated all the clutch plates. The manual has specs for the steels and fiber plates. I replaced the fiber plates and clutch springs. One you put it back together, adjust the cable for the proper amount of freeplay. I've been using the rotella 15w-40 oil, and I noticed that on cold mornings the bike will move forward in first gear when the clutch lever is pulled in. Once the bike heats up, this disappears. I have considered switching to either a lighter weight oil for the winter or going with the 5w-40 synthetic.
              This was a thought I was having

Comment

I have the opposite problem with my 1980 550E. I pull in the clutch, shift into first and nothing happens. Bike just sits there idling. Couuld the same stuck clutch issues apply?

Just finished the carbs and valves so I wanted to see if it was ridable on Sat when I made this discovery. When you put it in gear on the center stand, not running, it is in gear because the back wheel no longer spins.

Clutches are also somewhat of a mystery to me.

Greg

Comment

I have the opposite problem with my 1980 550E. I pull in the clutch, shift into first and nothing happens. Bike just sits there idling. Couuld the same stuck clutch issues apply?
                  This can happen when the cable is way out of adjustment. What is the history of your bike, how many miles..has it been sitting along time? When I replaced the clutch on my KZ, before I adjusted it, I had the same problem. The KZ uses a pushrod/release mechanism that is different from the GS. The release mechanism was too tight and the trans would not go into gear. Once I backed off the adjuster, the trans shifted normally. Another common problem is clutch slippage due to clutch spring fatigue. After sitting for years the springs become fatigued and don't allow the clutch to fully engage.

Comment

Bike has 34K on it and I don't really know anything about it's backgroud. The guy I bought it from was going to part it out but he did claim that it had been running.

I was just looking at the clutch parts drawing on BikeBandit and I see something interesting. There is a little spring called the clutch release arm spring, if I decoded that correctly. There is a spring very similiar with a plastic sleeve covering it that is in the bag of "leftover" parts the guy gave me. I have not had anything apart but I wonder if someone else did?

Anyone have any idea what that spring does?

Comment

In order to put your mind at ease, I would remove the side cover and have a look inside. This way you can inspect/measure the clutch plates,springs etc and make sure all the parts are where they are supposed to be.

Comment

Originally posted by GLMZZR View Post

Just finished the carbs and valves so I wanted to see if it was ridable on Sat when I made this discovery. When you put it in gear on the center stand, not running, it is in gear because the back wheel no longer spins.

Clutches are also somewhat of a mystery to me.

Greg
                        Does it do it in second gear?
                        If not pull the clutch cover and see if the gear on the clutch hub is engaging the crank. If yes make sure the inner clutch hub is bolted down tightly. If yes then make sure the clutch springs are putting pressure on the plates and steels. THEN check the spec of the fibers and steels and make sure you have all of them installed.
                        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
                          In order to put your mind at ease, I would remove the side cover and have a look inside. This way you can inspect/measure the clutch plates,springs etc and make sure all the parts are where they are supposed to be.
                          This is the only way to go.
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Going to do it this weekend

Comment

OK. I took the clutch plates off and cleaned them and checked the tolerances. Tolerances on the plates and springs where all good. The plates were somewhat stuck together so I thought that must have been the problem.

So I put it all back together, pull the clutch in, put it in first and try to push it and the back tire won't turn. Took all the play out of the clutch cable and tried again with the same result. When the clutch is pulled all the way in the pressure plate comes out about 3/16 to 1/4 of an inch.

Where do I go from here?

Comment

Working...
                              X