Twinpot Brake upgrade on 78 Skunk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    Could you please remind me where the spacer at the wheel is supposed to go? On the inside or outside of the rotor?? (I'm assuming logically it's inside, but...)
    Between the rotor and the wheel hub.

Mark
    1982 GS1100E
    1998 ZX-6R
    2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Yes as Mark says between the rotor & the hub.

Dan
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Anyone have a solid source for the M10-1.25 Stainless, preferably Socket Head Cap Screws, for bolting on the brackets for this?

I can reuse the existing bolts for the calipers, but need to get a 3rd for the lower bracket mount, and would prefer they all match and look good.

Having a hard time locating suitable bolts in that size.

Comment

Originally posted by Darin Jordan View Post
          Anyone have a solid source for the M10-1.25 Stainless, preferably Socket Head Cap Screws, for bolting on the brackets for this?

I can reuse the existing bolts for the calipers, but need to get a 3rd for the lower bracket mount, and would prefer they all match and look good.

Having a hard time locating suitable bolts in that size.
          Howdy, neighbor. I looked everywhere for stainless socket head bolts in fine thread, no joy. Ended up ordering OEM for a couple bucks each.
          sigpic
          09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
          1983 GS1100e
          82\83 1100e Frankenbike
          1980 GS1260
          Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

I have picked them up at my local Tru Valu store. He has a good selection (even if they are really expensive!)

I've used Bolt Depot in the past https://www.boltdepot.com/Catalog.as...FdRyfgodHBMJgw

Not used these but they're out there...

Home of The Bolt Guy stainless steel bolt kits for restoration of your classic BMW or vintage BMW or antique BMW motorcycle

You can also use the bolts from the Ninja Calipers - they are the same size. Lots of them available on Ebay.... I currently have six of the grey plated ninja ones in mine.
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by bobgroger View Post
              Howdy, neighbor. I looked everywhere for stainless socket head bolts in fine thread, no joy. Ended up ordering OEM for a couple bucks each.
              Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
              I have picked them up at my local Tru Valu store. He has a good selection (even if they are really expensive!)

I've used Bolt Depot in the past https://www.boltdepot.com/Catalog.as...FdRyfgodHBMJgw

Not used these but they're out there...

Home of The Bolt Guy stainless steel bolt kits for restoration of your classic BMW or vintage BMW or antique BMW motorcycle

You can also use the bolts from the Ninja Calipers - they are the same size. Lots of them available on Ebay.... I currently have six of the grey plated ninja ones in mine.
              Thanks, Guys.

The bolts that came in my calipers are a tad too short, so I'm just going to reuse the two factory bolts, and then I picked up a third Stainless Rounded Head Hex-Drive bolt in M10-1.50 with a locking nut for the lower bracket to fork mount. Looks pretty good. I'll replace them when I can find the right ones. Weather is too nice to drag this out for weeks!

Hoping to have it wrapped up later this week.

Comment

Finished her up last night! Glad I looked back through this thread because I had missed the part of having to trim the speedo dust shied, but caught that BEFORE everything was assembled, so took care of that.

Everything bolted together perfectly, and DANG, these feel very nice. Proportional, smooth, and zero caliper movement when applied. I want to replace the front Progressive springs with some non-progressive rate springs, which I think will help with the dive, but otherwise, this is a nice improvement.

Thank you, Dan, for the elegant solution with those brackets and all the info on calipers and rotors.

Looking forward to this summer!

20170524_165123.jpg

Comment

Another angle a little closer up...

20170524_165104.jpg

Comment

You should make sure that stainless bolt is an A2-70 one & not made of Cheese but I wouldn't have a problem using the standard thread as long as there is a locking element or threadlock.
                    The load is 90 degrees to the thread so the only real benefit of the fine thread is vibration resistance (and more threads in the thin caliper bracket but as this is the one with the nut on it that's not applicable here).

Looking good. I have straight weight springs & emulators fitted - they help with dive too.

The progressives with the close together coils lopped off are about a 50lb/in spring (approx 1.0 KGmm from memory, you can google that) so that might be a cost effective option for you if the spring rate is right... Replace what you cut off with Schedule 40 pipe.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post

Looking good. I have straight weight springs & emulators fitted - they help with dive too.

I have Hagon progressive springs in the front and they do dive a bit under breaking with the new set up. I don't suppose you remember what the code was for your emulators do you Dan?
                      Jeff

Living the dream...

1980 GS1000 that has been modestly modified.

Comment

I made up some adapters & ordered the ones from MikesXSthat are made for 35mm forks. A little cheaper that way... https://www.mikesxs.net/suspension.html

Racetech - FEGV-S3301

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/showthread.php?88036-Link-for-GS1100-RaceTech-fork-upgrades

Being a lightweight I cut down some stock springs to give me about a 43lb spring.
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Thanks Dan for the awesome brake research you have done! I can ride faster more confidently for many years now than if I had stock GS brakes... Very crucial, and very good looking brake package!

'77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
                          '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
                          '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
                          '79 GS425stock
                          PROJECTS:
                          '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
                          '77 GS550 740cc major mods
                          '77 GS400 489cc racer build
                          '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
                          '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Thanks Dan, I'm in the states in August and I'm going to order the Racetech emulators as they are a lot cheaper in the USA and take them back to blighty.

Looking good Chuck, looks like a great road to ride from the pictures.
                            Last edited by bobtail84; 06-23-2017, 01:08 PM.
                            Jeff

Living the dream...

1980 GS1000 that has been modestly modified.

Comment

Nice! Shame the exchange rate is in the toilet or it would be even better!
                              1980 GS1000G - Sold
                              1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck78 View Post
                                Thanks Dan for the awesome brake research you have done! I can ride faster more confidently for many years now than if I had stock GS brakes... Very crucial, and very good looking brake package!

Chuck, think you could do an in depth review of your gs750/920, the whole bike? On it own thread of course?
                                I build Pipers

Comment

Working...
                                X