how much oil to put in a gs850?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how much oil to put in a gs850?

Sorry for the dumb question, it's just that I lost my Clymer and need to change the oil...

By the way is there a mantenance chart somewhere in the site? Things like tire pressure, liquid levels and types, valve clearence norms etc?

Thanks

With an oil filter change, a GS850 will normally take about 3.5 quarts of oil.

Dump in about 3.25, then run it for a few minutes. Shut it off, give it five minutes or so to settle, then add oil until it's at about halfway on the sight glass with the bike on the centerstand.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by zblip2 View Post
      By the way is there a mantenance chart somewhere in the site? Things like tire pressure, liquid levels and types, valve clearence norms etc?
      The best place to go for all questions. Dumb or not....

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Yep, the recommended amount is about 3.5 quarts, but I am just too darn lazy to measure out that last half a quart, then I am likely to forget where the remaining half quart got stashed by the time I need to add it. Soooo, ... I just dump in the full four quarts. Her bike leaks a bit of oil, so it's going to need that extra oil before long, anyway.

I had hoped to get around to replacing gaskets before this riding season, but there were too many other projects on the books to get to her bike, too.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi Mr. zblip2,

On the crankcase it says 2800ml. The manual says if you are changing the filter too, add another 600ml. It also says to change engine oil every 2000 miles (I use 15w40 diesel oil). Change secondary gear oil and final drive oil every 7500 miles (I use synthetic 75w90 hypoid gear oil). Tire pressure: front - about 32-34psi, rear - about 34-40. The manual recommends checking valve clearances every 4000 miles - .03mm - .08mm for both intake and exhaust.

I'll shut up now. Please visit my site. I've collected most of the basic maintenance information necessary for a GS. There's a wiring diagram and a Suzuki Shop manual there for you to download. You'll also find links to Mr. bwringer's guides and other useful information.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
            Hi Mr. zblip2,

On the crankcase it says 2800ml. The manual says if you are changing the filter too, add another 600ml. It also says to change engine oil every 2000 miles (I use 15w40 diesel oil). Change secondary gear oil and final drive oil every 7500 miles (I use synthetic 75w90 hypoid gear oil). Tire pressure: front - about 32-34psi, rear - about 34-40. The manual recommends checking valve clearances every 4000 miles - .03mm - .08mm for both intake and exhaust.

I'll shut up now. Please visit my site. I've collected most of the basic maintenance information necessary for a GS. There's a wiring diagram and a Suzuki Shop manual there for you to download. You'll also find links to Mr. bwringer's guides and other useful information.

BassCliff
            BAM!!! BassCliff kills another thread!!! mark it down on the side of your bike with all the others.

Comment

Hi Mr. zblip2,

On the crankcase it says 2800ml...
              '80 2800ml... '82 3000ml...

centerstand, fill 'er till it's on the full line.
              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post

centerstand, fill 'er till it's on the full line.
                Wow! Thanks Mr. rustybronco. I knew it was marked on the crankcase, but didn't know it was different capacities for different years.

Let's see, 2800ml + 600ml = 3400ml. That's about 3.5 quarts.

BassCliff

P.S. Perhaps I will start compiling a quick-reference re: capacities and service intervals. Thanks for the suggestion Mr. zblip2.

Comment

Let's see, 2800ml + 600ml = 3400ml. That's about 3.5 quarts.
                  Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                  Let's see, 3200ml + 600ml = 3800ml. That's about 4.01541 quarts.
                  Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  ... I just dump in the full four quarts.
                  sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Thanks to Basscliff and the gang! You guys are great!

Comment

With filter I always use 4 qts., without, it's 3.5. The maintenance schedule says to change oil every 1500 miles, and filter every other time with the oil change every 3000 miles....
                      Last edited by Guest; 04-21-2009, 01:16 PM. Reason: missing words....

Comment

What maintenance schedule do you have that tells you every 1500 miles?

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          What maintenance schedule do you have that tells you every 1500 miles?

My Haynes manual had that oil change interval in it. It seems to make sense, especially when riding in hot weather. By the 1500 mile mark the oil is not looking too good anymore.

Comment

Thanks. I just looked in my Haynes manual and found the same thing, just never bothered to look for the interval before.

I have always seen recommendations for 2000-3000 miles before, so the 1500 mile interval caught me by surprise.

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                            X