clutch cable adjustment 79 GS550 + pic request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clutch cable adjustment 79 GS550 + pic request

I searched, and found several posts on what people were doing.. but for what ever reason I simply don't understand.

I have my carbs removed for a rebuild, and in the process I had to turn to clutch cable on the engine to the left (out) many many turns to get it out from in-between the carbs to remove them.

I also have a set of clutch springs which I plan to install.

1.) Where do I need to set that screw on the engine side to do my clutch springs - do I just turn it back (down into the engine) to replace my clutch springs?

2.) Once the new springs are installed (anybody have a photo of the clutch cover removed?) how do I adjust the cable from the top and the bottom..

Lever screw all the way in, engine screw in, then back out the engine screw while feeling the clutch lever until I only have 2-3 mm of play at the end?

Sorry if I'm confusing, I am confused!

Originally posted by 79FiveFifty View Post

Sorry if I'm confusing, I am confused!
    Well that makes two of us.
    Are you saying that you removed the clutch cable from the engine side by turning a long threaded piece out from the engine case?
    Is this the part that you are refering to?

Comment

I'm confused as well. You don't have to remove the clutch cable to remove the carbs (on my bike) it sits between the carbs and the head resting against a plate between carb 1 and 2.

The adjustment can be done at either end of the cable. I don't recall whether the manual says start at the engine or lever side, but I think engine. You tighten or loosen the hollow bolt at the engine end until there is only a couple mm of free play at the lever. If you can't adjust any more at the engine end then you adjust from the lever end.

As far as the internals of the clutch, there I am a bit in the dark with you. i have a set of HD springs I got cheap on the way that I'm going to swap for 2 of the stock springs in mine, but haven't gotten into the details of the procedure yet.

Comment

Replacing the clutch springs really doesn't have anything to do with the clutch cable at all. You'll have to remove the clutch cover on the right side of the engine to replace the clutch springs. If you put the bike on its side stand you don't even have to drain the engine oil. Replace the springs one at a time and you should be golden. There's no need to set anything; granted you probably don't want to have the clutch released (i.e., have tension on the clutch springs) when you do it, but then just don't pull the lever.

Sounds like you unscrewed the clutch cable from the sprocket cover. Unless you already unhooked the end from the clutch actuator arm (yes, these are on the left side) you should not have been able to remove the cable altogether. If it's still hooked up, then you should merely have to screw that end of the clutch cable back in to the sprocket housing.

See a manual for clutch adjustment. There are three places this can happen on your bike: by the handle, at the sprocket cover (where the clutch cable end - which you unscrewed - screws in), and using an adjustment screw lock nut under the little clutch adjustment cover on the sprocket cover. IIRC, the recommended procedure is to use the adjustment screw until it touches, then back out 1/2-turn and tighten the lock nut. But then again, my memory isn't as good as it used to be, so read that service manual sir.

Comment

haha, sorry to be confusing as well!

Thanks for the advice, I understand what needs to be done now, I just thought I messed things up by backing out that hollow bolt on the engine side. For some reason it was really tight against the carbs so I had to give it 1.8" of play to remove the carbs.

I'll bring it back down, and feel on the clutch lever until I feel it grabbing correctly this sounds like it's pretty much a "by feel" job.

Thanks again gang!

Comment

Hi,

I found this on some guy's website. See if any of this information helps...

*Clutch Odds and Ends*

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

wow, that's exactly what I was looking for and the photo too.

glad i found out about that third adjustment point, I wondered what was under that metal cover on my bike.

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                Hi,

I found this on some guy's website. See if any of this information helps...

*Clutch Odds and Ends*

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                Man, who is that guy, he has an unhealthy obsession with old motorcycles.

Comment

but.. on the link it says remove 2 screws..

the cover being removed in the photo series is about 6 screw or so?

hmm..

Comment

The thing with 6 screws on the LEFT side of the engine is the sprocket cover. Mounted to the sprocket cover is a clutch adjustment cover which is held on with two screws. The adjustment screw is under that (it's about 2 inches below where the clutch cable enters the sprocket cover).

When you actuate the clutch, the mechanism on the left side of the engine pushes a rod which goes all the way through the motor to the right hand side, and releases the clutch pressure plate - which is held taut with your six clutch springs. The clutch cover on the right is held on with 11 screws IIRC (it's also the cover with the oil fill and level window - indeed you pour in your oil pretty much right on the clutch), and again may be removed with the bike on the side stand without spilling oil. You remove that to change your clutch springs one at a time.

Does that clarify at all?

Comment

Pretty much, thank you for mentioning the whole one at a time deal on the springs.. I was gonna remove them all at once. Glad to know before-hand!

I have the bike covered right now, but when I get out there I will probably say "oh there it is!"

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                      X