No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Managed to finish my press yesterday, not pretty but it seems to work ok, got the old shock mount bushes out of the Kat swingarm and the new ones in. Inspired by Youtube of course!

1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

got the head off my poor T'. Tomorrow the cylinders.

PB
      Central Jersey
      82' Suzuki GS750T

"Old school is the best school"

Comment

Nice work Pete!

Ed
        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Damn, a fork seal is weeping a little....
          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
            Damn, a fork seal is weeping a little....
            Yes, my fork seals are weeping. My whole bike is weeping!

My birthday is coming up next week and my wife and I will be in LA visiting my mom.

Ed
            GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
            GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
            Originally posted by GSXR7ED
            Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
              Nice work Pete!

Ed
              Cheers, Ed!
              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Time for a new tire! I picked up a ratchet strap on the road. Surprised I didn't see it. I was stressed and running late which is probably why I missed it.

I pulled over right away but not soon enough. It pounded the fender pretty hard. I just cut the strap and drove straight to the tire shop.

I'm not usually one to use the word carma but a few weeks ago I left a ratchet strap on the edge of my trailer and didn't notice until I got to my destination with half of a strap.
                Roger

Current rides
                1983 GS 850G
                2003 FJR 1300A
                Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Dang. It'd be ironic if it was yours. I once got a section of what appeared to be a piece of street sign post stuck in my van tire. Darn thing went flat instantly.
                  sigpic
                  When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                  -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                  -Rusty old scooter.
                  Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                  https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I once took an open end- box end combination 9/16's in a 10 ply tire on my JEEP J20 truck. Instant flat and needed to wait for a hydraulic jack to lift the over loaded truck, in order to change the tire.
                    1981 GS 1000GLX.
                    1981 GS 1000G.
                    1981 GS 650GLX.
                    1975 TS 185.
                    1972 100. Kawasaki.
                    1968 100. Suzuki.
                    1970 Z 50. Honda.
                    1984 CT 70. Honda. (Kids)
                    1982 DS 50. Suzuki. (Kids)

Comment

All interesting weird debris, to find sticking in a tire!
                      Last summer I pulled what I thought was a big nail out of a tire, turned out to be a small rat tail file!!!
                      Bummer it was broke in half, would have been a useful tool in my workshop.
                      Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 06-22-2017, 06:54 AM.
                      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

I'm sure that this could be it's own thread. I once got the short end of a allen key stuck in a tire, the long end laying flat on the tire surface tap, tap, tapping on the road. My cousin once got an engine pushrod (not his) pushed thru the tread, than out thru the sidewall. It held held air at both punctures, stayed put and we drove home.

And am I the only one who has "fixed" a leaking screw puncture by replacing the screw with a bigger one?
                        It was cold late, and I was far from home.
                        sigpic
                        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                        -Rusty old scooter.
                        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Crazy stuff flying into people's tires! Just had the wife puncture a tire on her car a couple of days ago. Nothing was stuck in the tire, though. So I can't add anything crazy right now. I also can't recall anything too out of the ordinary in the past.

Yesterday, in an effort to make my truck a little more tolerable, I removed the torsion key bolts and removed 2" blocks from the rear leaf springs. I drive a 2001 F150 4dr (Supercrew) 4x4. The truck sits pretty high which for entering/exiting is fine for me. I'm not crazy about the bed height, as loading and unloading the bike when I do take it in the truck is a bit of a pain. Ideally, I'd like a 4dr smaller pickup like an Colorado, Frontier, etc... but finding one within my budget ($5000k ish) is difficult unless they have a ton of miles are are beat to crap. So I'm trying to get by with my truck for now. So I lowered it about 2" all around. Front sits about 2" lower, so I'm considering getting some drop shackles for the rear, bring it down another 2" to level it. Haven't tried loading the bike yet, but she is definitely closer to the ground.

Before:

After:

Subtle... but different. Maybe with the 2" drop shackles, I'll be "OK".
                          Last edited by Guest; 06-22-2017, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Biggest thing I've ever pull out of a tire was a huge railroad spike. Picked it up riding some old rail beds on my XL350 many years ago. Thankfully for rim locks I was able to ride it several miles back to the highwsy and hitch a ride.
                            '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Found a drop or two of oil under my sprocket cover the last 2 nights. Sh!+.
                              1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Can't get the GSX1100G to run lately. Going to have to strip the carb down for fifth time, go through again...Heard expression "patience of Job" before dunno the one for redundant ??? My fault since i never have time to do much proper working 7 days/wk and no garage.

I get a sick feeling somebody "coveted" it and messed something up so they can try to buy it...Paranoid but it makes me want to shoot it ...seriously.
                                Just blast a (large) hole through it and be done. Gonna tinker with it a bunch more when I can. I have a truck, a car can't justify buying something else and leaving it sitting. I'd never sell it...feeling disgusted...

I have to drive to Northern VA soon so I pulled the original non-working Becker stereo out of the Mercedes 300SD and replaced it with a $20 unit from walmart. It has MP3, blue toof, hands free phone...just no cd player. I don't have any cd's .

I have to redo the wiring there even (another redundancy job due to work schedule) I spliced the wires by twisting and on the funky original wiring pins I attached the speaker wires to the four pins by wedging a cut popsicle stick my daughter left in car...LOL it has duct tape around it, ...Mercedes gurus are sort of resto-dorks about stuff and I couldn't cut the 35 Y.O. wiring ...need to re-wire to the new stereo and replace the sh*tty original speakers.
                                Just a power wire, constant power wire, and wire for each new speaker ...every little thing on the car has some doofy obsolete BS, even the speakers were "R' or "L" instead front and rear, goofy amp wire that heats the new unit red hot, Oh, and some complicated BS for the antenae up-down stupid effin' ...going to just re- wire the mess and jam old wiring back sometime...atleast won't get as bored driving six+ hours...

Oh, finished up another project wedging GAF insulation boards (Home Depot) into each window pane of a sunroom (green house attached to house) made the previously sweltering room cool and usable. It's removeable, silver reflective stuff side against glass. I've moved to this room, cool 16 feet ceiling now!!! Love it , but the stuffs supposed to be covered with paneling (IF it was permanent) ...
                                Have pics in my phone, gotta go mow the lawn at the moment though (have a big snake in yard and can't see him when grass is tall)...

Oh, I've saved enough silica gel packs to make Liquid glass with drano (lye) and mix with pearlite (garden section hardware store) for refractory in a new propane fired forge I'm starting on , it has a cut air compressor tank for it's shell...should get it up and running soon in back corner of the yard...

I am always "wrenching" got few other projects, no time...
                                Last edited by Guest; 06-22-2017, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X