No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Put Stabil in all my fuel tanks, 6 bikes and a lawnmower, and a pickup that doesn't get used much. Tossed in premium gas to make sure they all mixed up well, then ran them for awhile. Put a block heater in my AC200 tractor. 2 bolts......a friggen" nightmare. One bolt has a difficult hardline in front of it, the other is buried behind the starter. The arms for my bucket in the way of everything. I got it done but was really getting aggravated.

Comment

Fitted a Newtronic ignition system, I had a failed Dyna S last year and was concerned that a new one would crap out also. I cleaned up my coils and dug out the old HT leads and epoxy glued in new ones. This is on my GS1000 I had all ready fitted a cobbled up Newtronic system on my GS750/850 and it worked fine so that is why I went for the UK made system, there tech support is very good.
      My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

I was finally able to get the braided brake lines on the GS.

With the cold temp, 36F in the garage, those lines didn't want to bend in the right direction. A heat gun sure helped, especially with the rear line at the caliper having to make a 180 degree bend.

Oh, also changed all brake pads to semi sintered EBC pads.

I took a 5 mile test run and didnt notice any significant difference in stopping power. Maybe the pads need to seat into the rotors some more. I have an extra set of rotors for if and when these are too thin since the semi sintered from what I've read will shorten the rotor life.
        Roger

Current rides
        1983 GS 850G
        2003 FJR 1300A
        Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Very nice Burque, but I'm surprised you went with the silver brake lines. Especially on such a original motorcycle like yours. Just my opinion, it looks great eather way.��
          My Motorcycles:
          22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
          22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
          82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
          81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
          79 1000e (all original)
          82 850g (all original)
          80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Tossed the Bus on the lift and replaced the rear pads. Cleaned the front calipers while it was up there as well. Happiness is a 200mph bike with working brakes.

2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT
            2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/sidecar

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

Just got done rebuilding the accelerator pump on the bowls for the 77 KZ650B1. Shes running now with just the regular bowls off another rack of carbs. Gotta head to Orielleys for the fuel line between each bowl and then it will be remove the carbs from the bike and swap bowls.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Finished the header. It's worth noting that where the paint stuck properly it really held on. Some spots held on even thru the wirewheel and sanding. (Rustoleum 2000°). It was then cleaned with soap and water per directions, then dried with the heat gun. Next is the tailpipe, which should be easier.

http://

It's dimply, but all black at least.
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                -Rusty old scooter.
                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                  I took a 5 mile test run and didnt notice any significant difference in stopping power. Maybe the pads need to seat into the rotors some more. I have an extra set of rotors for if and when these are too thin since the semi sintered from what I've read will shorten the rotor life.
                  My usual routine for bedding in pads is to run up to 30mph, brake hard down to 5mph; do that half a dozen times to bed them in and get some heat into them and from then on the bike (even a lardy old GS) will nearly stand on its nose for a good while after that, if the lever is pulled hard enough. When you notice it can't nearly stand on its nose any more, it's time to clean them up.
                  The current set of pads is Carbon Lorraine (A3+ or something) and I notice they have to get some heat in them to work well - it's not that they're bad when cold, they just get a lot better when warmed up.
                  ---- Dave
                  79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                  80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                  79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                  92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

After installing new front wheel bearings yesterday, I drilled the damper rods today so I can put the emulators into my forks soon.

Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I took a 5 mile test run and didnt notice any significant difference in stopping power. Maybe the pads need to seat into the rotors some more. I have an extra set of rotors for if and when these are too thin since the semi sintered from what I've read will shorten the rotor life.[/QUOTE]

My experience was similar. I went to braided lines and installed used replacement front rotors using the old pads. I immediately noticed a much firmer lever, but braking improvement came only when the pads / rotors became as one. Then it was nice.
                      sigpic
                      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                      -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

More fun and games.
                        After wrapping up for the evening, I had a little time so I disassembled the tailpipe for paint prep. I can now also give the aluminum a proper polishing and repack the baffle. The rivet holding the tag on made removal tough due to its hitting the flange inside. Clamping it down and some muscle was required. I love those old Jorgensen clamps I got from Dads garage.... handy things they are.
                        sigpic

Glen
                        -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Another step closer,cut down z900 rear guard ,fitted new seat cover,fitted new second hand alternator cover,made up centrestand stop ,fitted exhaust and made a mount for it,started fitting the new main loom.a couple of stripped thread grrrrrrrrDSC08807-001.jpg

Comment

I didn't know until two weeks ago that they are called Jorgenson clamps. i'm reading lots of books on wood working. Hand Tools says that the most important tools are the work bench and the vise, specifically the wood workers vise. The author shows many uses for different clamps, often holding a Jorgenson clamp in a wood vise.
                            sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Tried to replace my brake lines with braided steel ones only to find out one of the lines is 5 cm too short. CD

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                                My usual routine for bedding in pads is to run up to 30mph, brake hard down to 5mph; do that half a dozen times to bed them in and get some heat into them and from then on the bike (even a lardy old GS) will nearly stand on its nose for a good while after that, if the lever is pulled hard enough. When you notice it can't nearly stand on its nose any more, it's time to clean them up.
                                The current set of pads is Carbon Lorraine (A3+ or something) and I notice they have to get some heat in them to work well - it's not that they're bad when cold, they just get a lot better when warmed up.
                                I did get the new pads pretty well bedded in tonight. Now I can appreciate the new parts. Huge improvement!
                                Roger

Current rides
                                1983 GS 850G
                                2003 FJR 1300A
                                Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Working...
                                X