No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving along. I had to speed things up... I was to possibly work last night so I got the wheel bearings installed and painted the wheel and brake disc on Monday night In case I had to work ( I didn't it turns out). I installed the disc, the bearing on the sprocket carrier, and cleaned the grungy chainguard last night. Now I'm working on Saturday so I'm hoping to get the tire mounted / balanced later today- or at least drop it off.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Well... that new cable didn't work out, bike was revving @3K when started, rotated the cable housing, and turned down idle screw, made it home.
      Put the old one back on today, checked plugs, all looked tan except #3 was a bit hotter.
      My #1 slide track feels a bit sloppy, all plastic on plastic with gixxer carbs.
      Maybe causing more air to pass by then desired? Not sure.
      Will try to get a test run in tomorrow.
      GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Not much today. I bought four new M5 x 10 stainless steel button head Phillips screws to attach the handlebar pad on my GS850G (I know they're mostly hidden, but the old ones were rusty. There shall be no rust on my bike!) I bought them from the best hardware store in Ann Arbor (blasphemy that they're not genuine Suzuki, I know, but WAY cheaper). I also have a new emblem coming to finish off the bumper.

I also removed then reinstalled my carbs so that I could confirm that they are 32's, and not 34's.

Comment

Rebuilt my cam chain tensioner...again..thought it was the cause of my noise.

Bought black aftermarket handlebars that were too big for my GS450 at 33 inches, after 2 months of debating and since it was raining... I measured em up... I cut off 2 inches off each side, measured the OEM bars set holes for the modules, drilled a hole on each side then mounted the bars, everything fit perfect, even got a set of NOS grips and put them on. The black handlebar looks 1000 times better than the chrome one, the NOS grips look fantastic. .... and it isn't bent or rusty. Makes me want to strip her down and paint the frame.... next year if I don't sell her.

I will say after riding with bent handlebars for so long...it felt a little weird at first.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Falcon View Post

Bought black aftermarket handlebars that were too big for my GS450 at 33 inches, after 2 months of debating and since it was raining... I measured em up... I cut off 2 inches off each side, measured the OEM bars set holes for the modules, drilled a hole on each side then mounted the bars, everything fit perfect, even got a set of NOS grips and put them on. The black handlebar looks 1000 times better than the chrome one, the NOS grips look fantastic. .... and it isn't bent or rusty. Makes me want to strip her down and paint the frame.... next year if I don't sell her.

I will say after riding with bent handlebars for so long...it felt a little weird at first.
            Sounds like you got a lot done yesterday. I gotta say that I'm a purist; for me, it's OEM or nothing (at least as long as I can get OEM). But I do know what you mean by it feeling a little weird at first; I have an '81 GS850G (which is how I came to join this forum), and I also have an '81 Honda CB900 Custom. Riding the two back-to-back sure is strange!

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Falcon View Post
              I know why you keep hearing this noise. A plug is loose..........an ear plug!

Originally posted by MI GS850G guy View Post
              ....Riding the two back-to-back sure is strange!
              At one point we had two dual sport bikes. KLR650 and Yahama XT225. Hopping from one to the other was strange indeed.
              Roger

Current rides
              1983 GS 850G
              2003 FJR 1300A
              Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Getting into the valve adjustment job. Virgin. Gonna use the zip tie method. See what happens.

Comment

Took me a few turns to figure out when to put the zip tie in and where exactly... On the valve you want to work on, make sure the lobe is in position pushing it down all the way. Shine a light inside the spark plug hole on that cylinder and you'll see the opening where you need to put the zip tie.

Comment

Well it wasn't one of my bikes, but I did put a mulching insert and new blades on the John Deere yesterday.

Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Just another machine I have to get tuned up soon. My Scott's (John Deere Rebadge), looks ratty but the thing runs like a tank. Maybe I'll paint the body this year to give it a spruce up.

Comment

Been wrenching all week on my "new" (35 y.o.) Mercedes-Benz Turbo diesel. The ignition has a common problem that occurs from wear (at around age/ mileage other cars would've died three times)...Well engineered anti-theft/ steering lock gets stuck, key won't turn, wheel won't turn...

Been heck of fiddly learning experience, dash fitted together like a puzzle. Hard to get too angry because it's nicely engineered unusual sh^t...

Amazing mileage driving back, around 280 miles on I think $16 diesel and that was expensive station!
                        Like a man's econo car really IMO.

Got to get to my speedo cable repair (inner-cable kit) for the gsx1100g , cost more than the standard repair kit, but the end fitting looks same as old one into the drive gear (came with a couple, says fits Suzuki...).

Back to "wrenching" , training online for second part-time kitchen work, working eve.s other job...
                        G'day all

Oh, got to detail bike/ probably spray-paint some peel-coat mat-black on bare metal tank...I've moved to a sandbar/ island recently...excellent change.
                        Diesel Mercedes motor would make a nice inboard motor sometime, thinking BUT it's already in a car LOL, Hmmmm...

Comment

About 20? years ago our city in a Green moment offered mulching blades for lawn mowers for cheap.
                          Many people took advantage of the offer....until the complaints and threat of lawsuits started.
                          Turned out the flares/flanges on the end of the blades had been cut too deep and the tabs were breaking off and firing out the discharge of the mowers.
                          Many stitches and bloody shins later the Green moment was mothballed.
                          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by BurntKittyForge View Post
                            Been wrenching all week on my "new" (35 y.o.) Mercedes-Benz Turbo diesel.
                            I had a 1993 300D 2.5 turbo diesel that I LOVED! Thing was a tank and I still love the body style of them when I see them. Mine had a transmission issue that never got worked out properly so I traded it in for a gas guzzling Chevy Trailblazer a few years back. I wish I hadn't now. Any pics of this thing?

Comment

Originally posted by MI GS850G guy View Post
                              Sounds like you got a lot done yesterday. I gotta say that I'm a purist; for me, it's OEM or nothing (at least as long as I can get OEM). But I do know what you mean by it feeling a little weird at first; I have an '81 GS850G (which is how I came to join this forum), and I also have an '81 Honda CB900 Custom. Riding the two back-to-back sure is strange!
                              I am a purist myself, couldn't find a decent chrome OEM/NOS... everything is rusted or bent... so I went with the black. You can't tell by looking is the good thing... it looks OEM.

Comment

Originally posted by dougie fresh View Post
                                Getting into the valve adjustment job. Virgin. Gonna use the zip tie method. See what happens.

spend the $15 on the tool on ebay.... save yourself hours of extra work

Comment

Working...
                                X