what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what did you wrench on today??

I got my tank and the side cover badges back from my painter today..They look beyond belief. Then its time to put the gas in after adding all the hardware and the fuel cap cover. And wouldnt you just know it..gas running out of the petcock. After draining the gas and removing he petcock handle i discovered the seal has a split in it. I was so agitated that i had to just shut off the lights and walk away.. it always seems that no matter what something else happens...ARRRGGGGGG!!!!!!
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

I had a very similar experience. Yesterday I got home with my freshly painted tank and side covers. (pics will soon follow) Got them on, poured a gallon or so in the tank, and started it up after having set for about a month while I was doing adjustments, cleaning, painting some of the dinged up old engine covers.

....so anyway...get her fired up, and while warming up, I look down and notice fuel running down the sprocket cover.....

for whatever stupid reason, I forgot to tighten one of the drain screws on my carbs, and the fuel was ruining the freshly painted cover (luckily just rattlecan black, not the fancy paint like on the tank!). so now, the new coat of paint is drying, as I had to remove the cover AGAIN, clean it up and redo it.

AA

Comment

I know that feeling all too well. I started reassembling carbs today after receiving new orings, float bowl gaskets and such.
      Current Bikes:
      2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

yeah i know all about forgetting to tighten a bolt too. i wish i owned a camera.. i would take new pics of the little lady with her new paint.. looks way better than the few i had posted of it in my album. i do enjoy all you guys pics a lot though..
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I cleaned and lubed my chain in preparation for installing my new front sprocket. I have the carbs off, waiting for the new airbox from BabbitsOnLine, so I put a new fuel line and vacuum line on. I put the battery tender on the bike and tested the horn mod I implemented last year. I laid out plans for painting and baking a few black carb parts that have gotten scratched through the years. (Eat your heart out Brian, I'm using my kitchen oven, and no one is going to yell at me.) During lunch with bwringer, I laid out how I'm going to connect my relay system.
          On a non-GS bike, I installed the pistons on the GPz engine.

Comment

tomorrows PLAN..And i say that with much hope..is to get a new oring and see if the leak gets fixed, then i gotta change the stator cover on my blue 77 750.. got an oil leak from that. new gasket is in hand and the petcock thing must blew me mood right into the crapper..

Comment

Installed some new mirrors on my 700.

Comment

valve clearance, and an oil/filter change. best time yet. only an hour or so.

now just gotta check tire pressure, brake fluids, and lube up the cables. good as gold!

POOT

Comment

I've had many moments like that with this bike. The latest was installing that triangular nut on the engine mount. For some reason I could just not get that thing on. I was working on it for like an hour before I lost it. I told everyone not to say one word to me and went to sleep. I woke up the next day and I got it done in like 5 minutes. (&*&#@. That's just how it goes. Right now I'm doing some welding to make a new battery box for the bike.

Comment

Put carb kits in the GS carbs, now to order new O-rings for the connecting tubes.
                    Replaced a battery, fuel lines and flushed the R brake system on the Cal III.

Comment

I've had wrenching plans for my bike for the last week and a half, however, I have my son's mother-in-law's '97 Chrysler Sebring(don't ever buy one of these, you'll rue the day) in my garage that I've been wrenching on. I hauled it home on the car dolly when it quit, I'm trading my wrenching for plumbing work, and the bill is adding up fast. Here's the list so far, in parts. New timing belt (24 hr job in the flat rate manual), new serpentine belt, removed upper and lower intake manifolds to chase vacuum leaks (upper has to be removed anyway to do anything on this engine), oil and filter (minor), got it all back together Wed., tried to start it. It attempted to fire but couldn't get there. Re-read the book, it pointed me to the distributor (yeah, this 2.5L Mitsubishi V6 has one of those), had to pull the upper intake off again to access that, pulled it, just ordered a new one yesterday, the old one's toast, and found a coolant leak to fix also. Maybe I'll be done with it by next Wed., the distributor comes in on Tuesday.

Now, bike related (sorry for the non-bike related wrenching, had to vent), this weekend while I can't do anything on the car, I'm replacing my fork seals and chasing down an errant electrical problem. I might even do the carbs this weekend, not sure about that one though. I will change the oil and filter though, I've got 1500 miles on what's in it now, I put on 500 miles since I started riding again this year, I just used the oil from last year to start out this year with.

Comment

went and got new petcock seal..put it in and put some gas in and let it set on the bench for a few while i did a chain adjustment. Not one spot under the tank so i mounted it and took it for a spin. ran great and was good to get on her. Gonna hook up with two guys tomorrow and do the shack down cruise on my buddies 78 750 we built this winter.. hope all will be well with it. It should be because it has had my magical expert mechanical skills on every inch of it!!! LMAO. We will see about noonish tomorrow for sure. Oh and a professional photographer i know is gonna be doing a photo spread of my 77 and 78 next thursday..cant wait tom see those pics. He says he knows some models so we will see where that heads to....70s and some bikinis all over my bikes..i like that idea!!!!

Comment

Took apart the carbs to see how clean they were since I was waiting on parts. Looked really good and clean and all the passages were clear.
                          Just got my boot orings in the mail today but still have a few days to wait for the clamps.
                          Then I can get it back together and get it running, hopefully bikebandit will get my clutch cable here soon too.
                          Hmm just checked, says they haven't charged me yet. So I guess its not shipped yet
                          Last edited by Guest; 03-26-2010, 05:47 PM.

Comment

I had to fix the car today, 88 Calais quad 4. Turned out to be bad ign housing. I found out It has a wasted spark system like our bikes

Comment

$200. gs850

Yesterday I took the tank off and empty the stale gas, and removed the carbs and disassemble and started cleaning them, Ive seen worse.
                              Today I went to adjust the valves and they were all good, to my surprise.
                              Started looking at the wiring harness there are problems there, fried wires.

Comment

Working...
                              X