what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
    You really don't need the air now with the new Sonic springs and fresh fork oil. Cap them off and forget'em.
    once I get the new valve, it will be air tight. Just don't want contamination in the fresh newly rebuilt forks

Comment

Just a maintenance day. So far i've replaced the front brakes even though i just did them after xmas 2015, they were squealing like a pig in a slaughter house when i got back in town from Spokane. Three cheers for warranties! Now i'm waiting to get the tires balanced and rotated. Then i'll be replacing the radiators on the gas gas enduro, hopefully before the guy that wants to look at it gets here, then maybe an oil change on the silverado if i got time. Busy busy last day of leave

Comment

The failure of the secondary drive gear has sidelined riding the 1100. Initially, I was going to throw some parts onto the 850G I picked up from exdirtbiker, but the carb assembly won't clear the tensioner on the 850. The 1100's carb assembly has a small angle bar that runs across all 4 carbs that hits the tensioner. No worries, as I managed to replace the gear on the shaft side and just received the replacement gear for the motor side. I need to take that assembly apart and swap the gears before I can put it all back together.

Silver lining, though... because I tried my carbs on the 850, I finally examined the boots and the o-rings. Boots are still in great shape but the rings are toast! Brittle and flat. Previous owner, instead of replacing them with proper rings, used some red silicone material to aid in sealing from leaks, but I suspect there were some, as the silicone was also flaking. So ordered replacement rings and bolts from Robert Barr last week. They came in today and the carbs are back on the 1100.

Hoping to get cranking on the gear during this extended weekend. Wish me luck!

Comment

Put new plugs on the "T". Was a guessing game finding the right plug socket, as 5/8, and 13/16 would not work. Discovered the 18mm rule. Unfortunately, I didn't have one, so 3/4 sufficed. Discovered the prior plugs were way loose. Took little to no effort to free them. Very odd. But she's again , runnin like a singer sewing machine.
          PB
          Central Jersey
          82' Suzuki GS750T

"Old school is the best school"

Comment

Pulled my newly-rebuilt carbs back off the 850 this evening to try to diagnose a fast idle (about 2000 rpm). Didn't see anything obvious, except that the idle adjustment screw was backed out so far that it was no longer contacting the part that it pushes on - which of course allows the butterfly valves to close completely. (BTW--- I'm pretty sure that I'm the one who backed it out that far the other day trying to diagnose the same problem.) So what I don't understand is with the butterfly valves closed all the way, how could it idle at all - much less too fast?

While I had the carbs off, I decided to pull all four of the intake boots - which are brand new, along with the rubber o-rings - to inspect them. Everything looked fine, except I think I may have discovered that one of the bolts was loose. From my research about these carbs, I've learned that if there is a leak there, it will definitely cause my symptoms. So tomorrow morning I'll reinstall the gas tank and fire it up and keep my fingers crossed. I really, REALLY want this bike to run as good as it looks.
            Last edited by Guest; 05-27-2017, 05:50 AM.

Comment

Replaced even more brakes. This time i replaced the front rotors, pads and brake lines on the m109r. Lines are galfer stainless lines, pads are hh sintered, and the rotors are Chinese galfer wave copies. Now all that's left is to drain the rear brakes and replace the rear brake line and get the front brakes nice and seated

Comment

Originally posted by gordinho80 View Post
                The failure of the secondary drive gear has sidelined riding the 1100. ......
                Tell us, well, me, a little bit more about that.
                What lead up to that?

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

More info on that in this thread. Don't want to cloud this one.

Comment

Tire inflator with air pressure gauge: I have a $15 Kobalt, with a trigger, and Bourdon tube gauge reading up to about 200psig, a totally ridiculous figure. Car and motorcycle tires read near the bottom of the range, not in the center. I replaced the gauge with an Ashcroft accurate to about +/- 1%, $45.The threads on the made in China inflator are metric, and adapters to 1/4" NPT either don't exist or are ridiculously priced. So I bought a tap for 1/4" NPT to re-thread a hole that I enlarged in the drill press. My tap handle wasn't large enough, and the first one I bought wasn't either. Another $60. The air chuck was cheap, so I replaced it. I've probably got $120 in my cheap tire inflator. But it works fine and should last as long as I'm driving anything.
                    sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

The installation of a new storm door this evening and gutter drains on the downspouts after we had new gutters installed yesterday was a fitting end to the day after this morning's ride.
                      sigpic
                      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
                      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Making a good Ninja 250 out of two bikes for a past neighbors son that got T-boned. Engine, wiring harness and components, complete rear suspension and brakes, front wheel and braking system, and controls from the wrecked bike and everything else from the titled doner.
                        Last edited by gsrick; 05-28-2017, 12:23 AM.
                        GSRick
                        No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                        Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

More wrenches to the M109r. Found out my right fork seal went bad.

Comment

De-rusted some headlight brakets and painted them:

now i have to find out if i screw up my fork alignment if i get my top steering plate of... any hints? or just pop em of, install the brackets and pop em back on?
                            for more detail: click!

Comment

Originally posted by Plinius10 View Post
                              De-rusted some headlight brakets and painted them:

now i have to find out if i screw up my fork alignment if i get my top steering plate of... any hints? or just pop em of, install the brackets and pop em back on?
                              for more detail: click!
                              No problems. The forks are held on by the steering stem and bearings, the nut that secures them is under that top plate. Keep the pinch bolts on the lower triple tree tight though or the tubes will slip up.
                              sigpic
                              09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                              1983 GS1100e
                              82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                              1980 GS1260
                              Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Found some PVC pipe the exact right size for the fork seals and got them assembled.

1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
                                X