No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

its alive? Bypassing the speed controls and witing direct it spins like a jet.
    The root cause may be that some tinkering PO tore into it to fix it and screwed it up worse.
    Now to adjust speed control as it is unlikely that the adjustment screw was ever engineered to be full seated what with it being an adjustment screw.

Best money i ever spent on kijiji
    tomorrow i learn how to bake.
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Really nice looking seat assembly Deuce. I just picked up a 750 and plan on doing something similar. Did you buy the pin striping or is that painted?

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
        Im about to tear into a Kitchen Aid Mixer that refuses to run. It ran when it was out away.
        My Kitchen Aid is a model 4C, which I bought for $99 in 1975. Its internals are very similar to the 1930s models. My father gave my mother a 2C when they married inn 1950. She had wanted a MixMaster, like her friends owned. She figured out over the years that Kitchen Aid was made better.

Brushes on mine need occasional cleaning. Q-tips work..Rotate it by hand to clean the commutator by pressing a Q-tip against it. Also the contactors can corrode. Flour dust can coat the contactors. I've touched them up lightly with an ignition point file. The gear box has some light clunks, but I've never opened it. If it wears out or I can't fix it, I'll replace it with a model with electronic controls, at least 300W.
        sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Its odd that some old mixers last so long. I did a bit of research and was able to find the factory service manual for my model on a British Kitchen Aid website.
          People are as oddly passionate about these mixers as some folks are about motorcycles. There is a lot of bitterness and misunderstanding posted against Kitchen Aid by folks that lack the ability to understand basic mechanics and electricity.

The shocking abuse some of these upset people subject these small devices to is amazing. You tube vids with dry wads of dough causing the machine to pitch about etc.
          Some folks have no common sense.

Like the guys the whine about chain stretch after doing a couple hundred 1/4 mile races.
          1983 GS 550 LD
          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Since the cable I order was the wrong one I was forced to make my own.

20161228_171527 by Rob Ert, on Flickr

The manual decompression cable for my DR600, followed this video and it worked well.

HOW TO SOLDER the ends of throttle and brake cables. Very useful information. Very handy when building a go-cart or chainsaw bike or to fix that hard to get ...
            Rob
            1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I have been tearing my 1984 GS550ES apart to renew it. I found a pair of new GSX550EF fairings and frame mounts to dzus them to. So I have the swing arm out and the shock and the footrests and have wire wheeled the frame up to the engine wiped it down with thinner primered everything and then tomorrow I will apply a coat of nice looking chrome/silver paint. I lost interest in the bike and actually GAVE it to a friend of mine two years ago. Well the old bike began to speak to me and I am remembering all of the fun I had with it and WALLA! My friend can not have it. I am going to make it pretty and ride the heck out of it.

Magnafique

Comment

1981 GS450EX, went to start it up... click click. Checked at starter 12v, took out 2 bolts, popped starter back an inch, clamped a ground wire on it, starter spun and works fine. Popped back in, no issues, bike starts up in a split second. Sticky starter?? anyone?? Time for a starter rebuild kit?

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Falcon View Post
                  1981 GS450EX, went to start it up... click click. Checked at starter 12v, took out 2 bolts, popped starter back an inch, clamped a ground wire on it, starter spun and works fine. Popped back in, no issues, bike starts up in a split second. Sticky starter?? anyone?? Time for a starter rebuild kit?
                  Might be best to start a thread on that in the electrical section, but maybe a short. Dirty or corroded connection. If you moved it then it worked that's my guess.
                  Roger

Current rides
                  1983 GS 850G
                  2003 FJR 1300A
                  Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Replaced a 4 year old battery in my car....... With a 7 year old one taken out of a car I junked a few years ago- I bought it for the (junked) car, used the car for a year, but refused to junk a good battery. I've ocassionally topped it off with the battery tender. The real challenge was getting those dumb GM side terminals to work with ring types. It worked.... or I may hear click, click, click in the morning.....
                    sigpic
                    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                    -Rusty old scooter.
                    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I don't recall the last time I posted in the "What did you wrench on" thread
                      but wrenching happened this week, by me. Woot.

Couple days ago I replaced my car's battery (it had about 5.5 years on it and it really didn't like the cold weather).

Then on Thursday I got around to finding the loose connection in the headlight wiring.
                      Okay, it was a guy named Brian who found it. But I was there.
                      Brian also found the turn signal relay that is kaput.
                      And when the replacement shows up, I'll be riding again.

Finally.

*edit: have plugged replacement relay in successfully for the blinkyblinky. Yahoo!
                      Last up: airfilter.
                      Last edited by kerrfunk; 01-14-2017, 12:28 PM.
                      "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

Cleaned up the new to me black '83 exhaust. Not perfect but pretty darn good for 34 years old. Need 2 center flanges and a right heat shield. Looking forward to the quiet....

sigpic
                        09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                        1983 GS1100e
                        82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                        1980 GS1260
                        Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Bloody hell Bob, those look great! job well done. And I'm super impressed you're doing that on the kitchen counter...
                          Rob
                          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                            Bloody hell Bob, those look great! job well done. And I'm super impressed you're doing that on the kitchen counter...
                            Bachelor perks...... too cold in the garage.
                            sigpic
                            09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                            1983 GS1100e
                            82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                            1980 GS1260
                            Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

...... and then there's my exhaust. Pulled it off today and began cleanup. A heavy serving of anti sieze made removal a breeze. I painted these 2 seasons ago, and as they say - prep, prep, prep.
                              Note the end pipe. That one was new bare clean steel- that section was replaced. The others were original and clearly not cleaned up as good as they should have been. The paint on the new pipe looked decent still. Overall the header is pretty bad with a lot of deep pitting. My main concern is longevity. If / when it rots out, I'll likely make a franken pipe with a Delkevic header and a fabbed mid pipe to use the Yoshi can I love so much.

Oh, and the spots where oil leaked held up fine.... no rust there.
                              http://

Still a lot of work to do, but moving along.
                              http://
                              Last edited by dorkburger; 01-15-2017, 10:00 PM.
                              sigpic
                              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                              -Rusty old scooter.
                              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Spent some time today practicing my shim and bucket technique on the '81 CBX.
                                GS content with the 1100E headlight.

2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Working...
                                X