No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WOOHOO - I mounted the GPz cylinder block this evening. I had it all the way on except for cylinder #2 oil rings, bent the bottom one, and had to pull everything off, replace it, and start all over. Thankfully I had a spare set of rings lying around from a previous screw up.
    But it is done, and during WWE Friday Night Smackdown, no less.

Brian, expect a call...HEHE

p.s. sscott, that looks factory. Really blends in with the lines of the bike. Very nice.

Comment

Originally posted by sscott View Post
      Thanks Chuck, I thought so as well.
      After I did it I spent about an hour looking at it, my wife asked me why I kept looking at it. I said just look at the back end and how well balanced it flows.

Might have made more points if you had used that line on the wife instead.

Earl
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Wrenching

I had the pleasure of working on a lawn mower today. But I did reward myself. 185 miles were put on my RT this afternoon.

Comment

where did you go to get the parts??? LMAO
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Wimberly TX must be a long ways from nowhere.........

Comment

today ... i pulled the carbs and changed main jets and reassembled ... all before breakfast yesterday .... i found that after my valve adjustment (one of the adjustment screws had r-u-n-n-o-f-t) and carb sync the old gurl ran great (smooth, quiet, immediate throttle response) up to 3/4 throttle, at which point she quit trying and generally just got all kinds of broke up ... is it possible, now that she's actually running on "all 4" that the improved scavenging and 30 degree ambient temps have required a jet swap? i dunno for sure, but aftah i dress for the weather (knit hat and gloves ) i'm gonna find out if my cure worked.

Comment

No wrenching today...gonna take the 78 750 on a cruise and just enjoy the day. Supposed to be raining all day sunday here in Detroit so i will change the leaky stator cover gasket on my 77 750 then..All have a good day .
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Been slowly plugging away at an off-topic bike;

Comment

Off-topic Bike

Looks like a nice '83.

Comment

Parts

Luckily, it was just some collars and washers. I put oversized wheels on it to raise the deck up to keep from mowing all these rocks. Though the town is small and a little removed from the metro, we actually have an Ace Hardware store. It even carries stainless metric fasteners and dark chocolate Reeses! The mower will do its duty today, then I'll take an old Suzook out for some BBQ in Blanco.

Comment

Just pulled GK out of back corner of garage. First activitty since trailered to Tims in January.

Idea today is to get fairing out of basment and get fairing back on bike, then will have headlight and turnsignals and can think about going down the road.

Hum, found front tire soft again, at about 15psi. Found same thing in Janauary.
                        Tire is not old, not worn. Have looked for something stuck in tire, not finding anything. Will look again. Wonder what else to look for.

Last edited by Redman; 03-27-2010, 10:40 AM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Tools to help with the job

I wanted to polish my exhaust can but I needed to finish another project in order to to that. I have a little Craftsman Lathe that I started overhauling a while ago. I had the perfect excuse to get back to it.

Comment

New chain and sprockets on the V-Strom.

Part of me is so ashamed -- 12 years of shafties, and now this... back to grubbing around with a primitive, greasy drive system.

It cost a bloody fortune, but I bought the absolute best chain and sprockets I could find and upgraded to 530 (stock is 525), simply because I detest messing with chains. Others have reported 30,000+ miles out of this combo with a bit of care, but I still hate the fact that I'll have to do it all over again sometime next year.

Meanwhile, the GS850 and VX800 soldier on and on with nothing but a $3 bottle of gear lube each spring. If I'm careful, I can change the gear oil in both with one bottle and have a bit left over.
                            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I'm (re)building a 2006 GSXR 600 racebike for the 2010 roadracing and trackday season.

Believe it or not, there's a GSXR racebike in this picture. Some assembly required.

The motor is getting all new pistons, rings, and main/rod bearings. It's gonna get flogged like a rented mule so the motor must be fresh.

Installed new rings....

Then installed the pistons in the cylinders...

Installed the swingarm/linkage/shock and the triple tree, and had a new Bridgestone BT003 tire mounted/balanced, then installed the rim/tire and brake rearset. Nice to have the frame off the ground.

Last edited by Guest; 03-28-2010, 03:08 AM.

Comment

Congrats, Brian, on finally moving into the land of performance motorcycling. I have the chain alignment gauge, as soon as I test and evaluate it on my bikes I'll bring it over and verify the quality of your hand alignment.
                                Not much happened in the koolaid garage yesterday: I pulled off some carb parts that needed painting and went to the store to get a can of gloss black engine paint and a replacement screw for the one I mucked up removing. Then I received a call from an old friend, who came over and helped me move the GPz engine, from the media room where I assembled it, into the garage. We then placed it into the frame tubes where it currently rests on a towel, and spent the rest of the day shooting the breeze and visiting other friends.

Comment

Working...
                                X