Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possibly done before,what do you carry for tools??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only thing extra I carry from the stock tool kit is a flat repair kit in the form of the little rubber gummy worm type plugs, a reamer and the plug tool. I carry 3 17gram C02 cartridges to fill with. Oh, also some spare fuses.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I just carry stock tool set came with my bike, extra clutch and accelerator cable, flashlight, it is good for the riders.

Comment

I carry everything, lol. Ask Tom Murphey. Vice grips for sure, but if I know I'm going on a ride with other folks, I try to carry extra stuff. Connectors, wire, tape. Duct tape for sure, misc. metric bolts and nuts. Bailing wire. Most of the stuff fits in a 8 x 8 bag and weights about 12 pounds. I had on one ride a can of liquid electrical tape and we used the stuff for a gasket. You can ask Chef about that. It worked. I carry stuff so I don't get stuck. Extra clutch and gas cables, handles, headlamp bulbs, and other bulbs. I have a fairing with a nice compartment to tuck things in. Also on a ride, I wear a all-in-one tool on my belt.

Comment

AAA card and a cell phone

Comment

Well cared for and prepared ride, AAA card, cell phone, tire repair kit, spare throttle and clutch cables and a smile...

Comment

A leatherman wave, a 6inch crescent, lots of zip ties, and a cell phone.

Comment

It doesn't matter what tools you carry as long as you carry some.A motorbike will only break down if it knows you're not carrying any!

Comment

What's in the stock set? My bike didn't have one when I got it.

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
                    I don't need to carry tools when I ride.
                    Nothing ... I'm with Graham ....I'm a mechanic by trade and a engineer .. I keep my toy in good shape and it seems that you never have the right tool anyhow ...

Comment

I took a few pics of the tools I carry on the bike all the time;

Doesn't matter how good a mechanic you are you can't rule out punctures.

in the tool kit holder I usually carry a couple of spare plugs and a plug socket in addition to the side cutters, sand paper, soft wire, epoxy putty and fuses.

I also stuff a little Oxford tool kit in under the rear cowling

They hold a pair of needle nose pliers, a 2 piece screw driver handle with range of bits, a couple of small screw drivers, Allen keys, and 7 smaller sized sockets. I also squeezed in a puncture repair kit with gas cartridges

Comment

the kit pix are really helpful--thanks.

Comment

If the tool kit is lacking, make sure at least you leave home with comfortable shoes!

Comment

I have a small "barrel" bag on my forks under my headlight. It contains, multi screwdriver, 2 10mm wrenches, 11,12,13mm wrenches, a leatherman, fuses, bulbs, zip ties, tape, and um, I think that's it. I do have tire plugs and plenty of plug tools. I should probably carry a couple, huh...
                            '83 GS 1100T
                            The Jet

sigpic
                            '95 GSXR 750w
                            The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

I carry the tools that came with the bike, along with a set of Allen wrenches, small crescent wrench, and a cell phone charger. I agree a cell phone is a great piece of equipment, but if the battery dies, it's worthless!

Comment

I think I'll have to rethink my tool strategy after reading some of these posts, and knowing that I'm living on borrowed time with getting the 81 GS850 back on the road after sitting so many years and not doing much more than pouring in some gas...

The newbies welcome page by Basscliff is great info, and now has me paranoid about all the things that have been quietly going bad on my bike since it was last on the road in 1988. Still, the bike is running pretty well, and there is just a bit more great late season riding here in New Hampshire before tearing into some rebuilds and repairs. So, yeah, think I'll thow in a few more tools beyond the stock pouch.

That'll be me, freezing my butt off, tooling down I95 tomorow morning...

Comment

Working...
                                X