'83-'85 GS750E/ES, 700E/ES squeak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'83-'85 GS750E/ES, 700E/ES squeak

I apologize if this has been addressed in another thread. I searched, but no luck.

I have an "83 750E that has an increasingly annoying squeak coming from the rear suspension. This model has the monoshock 'full-floater' suspension, and the squeak occurs with every up-and-down movement. I'm not sure of the exact source, and I'd like to know before I start tearing things apart. The bike's in nice condition, but I'll dump it if I can't get this sorted.

Anyone been through this? TIA

Originally posted by JimW View Post
    I apologize if this has been addressed in another thread. I searched, but no luck.

I have an "83 750E that has an increasingly annoying squeak coming from the rear suspension. This model has the monoshock 'full-floater' suspension, and the squeak occurs with every up-and-down movement. I'm not sure of the exact source, and I'd like to know before I start tearing things apart. The bike's in nice condition, but I'll dump it if I can't get this sorted.

Anyone been through this? TIA
    common problem due to miles and failing seals
    you can look up the parts ont eh fiche at bike bandit essentially there are caps with seal to prevent dirt entering the bearings

fine dirt eventually creeps in and squeaks to high heaven
    embarassing as can be as it can be heard over the engine

fix is sadly to remove the wheel and disassemble and clean the parts
    you may opt to get new seals I would just clean it and make the teradown a part of annual maintenance.

its not a hard procedure just a pita

look for the cushion lever fiche
    and do not be alarmed the dirt on mine had not gotten past the seals into the bearings
    it jus tpacked in hard and started making a racket
    Last edited by Guest; 11-18-2010, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Take it apart and grease up all the parts in the bell crank assy and the swingarm pivots. Very common on these, factory did not lube them up very well when they built them. Mine did it when it was new.
      Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Triflow = wonders.

Comment

I have the same issue, what is triflow?

Comment

Mine was doing this to.As it's apart now(sig thread) it should be fairly easy to fix.One of my must does over the winter.

Comment

Called my 83 'Squeaky' for a while when I first got it. Noise diminished some with some miles on it. Think the PO didn't ride much.

Comment

On mine it is not the swing arm bearings, it is the rubber bushings, I have cleaned lubed and taken it apart twice and it still squeaks, so I kind of lube the heck out of the monoshock and it stops for a while, then starts up again. Not taking it apart again, so that is what an mp3 playeris for.

Comment

The small self-centering plain bearings dry out, wear out, and sometimes even come out. Mine rolled out of the top link on the linkage like an old rolling paper. It was a once a year job on my old 550E, but I was kind heavy for that bike, and rode it pretty hard.

Comment

There's little metal caps over all the bearings. Pull those off, grease the bearings, and put the cap back on. They're handy for keeping the grease off everything else.

Comment

Thanks, guys.

I was looking at the parts microfiche and it appears that a number of the parts are no longer available. Has anyone had to deal with finding replacement bearings/bushings, etc., for those no longer available from Suzuki? I want to do this once and do it right, and not have to search for materials to blow this squeak factory up.

Comment

Originally posted by JimW View Post
                        Thanks, guys.

I was looking at the parts microfiche and it appears that a number of the parts are no longer available. Has anyone had to deal with finding replacement bearings/bushings, etc., for those no longer available from Suzuki? I want to do this once and do it right, and not have to search for materials to blow this squeak factory up.
                        I have not had to replace anything except for a worn heim joint in the lever.

bought a newish lever off ebay rather than gettin the joint insert,

one point is to clean everything , regrease, and not overgrease.
                        ie no lube on the outside it willl be a dirt magnet and be cause for another teardown and lube.

riding in rain seems to get the fine dust and dirt into the works
                        when you take it apart you will prolly see a ridge of dirt built up at the seal.

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                          I have the same issue, what is triflow?
                          Triflow is a great lubricant. It repells water and dirt, you can buy it at Ace Hardware or many hardware stores. Spray it in the linkage of your bike and the squeek will be gone and remain gone.

We use it in the downhill racing world for everything and it works great not to mention will be easier than pulling stuff apart to grease it.

Tri-Flow Lubricants, Greases & Degreasers are the preferred choice of biking enthusiasts everywhere. And our new website was designed specifically for you - so you could easily find the product you need to keep you going.

heres what they recommend for motorcycles
                          Tri-Flow Lubricants, Greases & Degreasers are the preferred choice of biking enthusiasts everywhere. And our new website was designed specifically for you - so you could easily find the product you need to keep you going.

Honestly most of the spray can ones will work just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger View Post
                            Triflow is a great lubricant. It repells water and dirt, you can buy it at Ace Hardware or many hardware stores. Spray it in the linkage of your bike and the squeek will be gone and remain gone.

We use it in the downhill racing world for everything and it works great not to mention will be easier than pulling stuff apart to grease it.

heres what they recommend for motorcycles

Honestly most of the spray can ones will work just fine.
                            no disrespect ranger but he should take it apart to be certain no dirt has entered

now to buy some triflow

Comment

I tried soaking anything that could potentially squeak with WD a few months ago when I replaced the rear tire; no joy, not even a bit quieter. It looks like I'll be dismantling the beastie and greasing everything.

Thanks mucho for the info.

Comment

Working...
                              X