Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vintage, not fast enough for Track days?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if you like that magazine you'll love http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...-free-sampler/ - i understand it's going monthly from march and will be available for subscription... a lot of suzuki's in it up until now. you might also check out http://www.motorcyclenews.com/Classic-Bike/ but this covers a lot older stuff too. i guess there's a difference between the US and the UK as to what we call "classic" and you guys call "vintage"

Comment

There are different track days at different tracks, as well. Each organization has a different "mood" or mission, so poke around for the one that fits you best.

For example, the organization that runs most of the track days at the closest track to me (Putnam Park) requires you to show up with full leathers and a track-prepped late-model sportbike. They offer no coaching, just lots of laps cheap.

By contrast, the track day I'd most like to attend (at Blackhawk Farms near Chicago) is friendly to any bike, offers coaching, and allows two-piece textile gear in all but the fastest groups, and I believe they offer rental leathers if needed.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I like the STT club…

Well Brian, it's not really the fault of the organizers that most of the riders who show up are newbees, with new sport bikes.
        I like the people I met at a Sportbike Track Time event at Gingerman, they do Putnam track days too. I talked to the boss and a control rider. They were friendly, and not at all elitist. Their bikes were beat up and dirty.
        The fact is you just have to keep up with the average speed. I was just wishing I could use my 550T, but only on occasion. The GSX750F I bought for track days will be plenty fast enough.
        As for protective gear, if really want to go fast you're going to fall down more than once, so you want the best and more.
        That control rider I talked to, had slide marks all over his leathers. Kind of like street creds, you only see newbees in clean leathers.
        Bill
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

I saw a picture once of a TZ250 being passed on the outside of a corner by an SR500.
          The caption read.."Everyone wants to be a racer, but not everyone wants to go fast!"

Comment

putnam track days

Hi Brian,
            I just saw your post, and you are more than correct allot of laps for cheap. If you get a chance check out our web site at commoto.com and we have Putnam park tickets as low as $135.00 if you by all 7 days. Would be really cool to see this out with the Ducatis and late model Suzuki GSXR models. Well my bad, I knew that we had our sales manager bring his 71 honda cafe racer up and they let him run at lunch time. They liked to have a fit when he blew by them like wildfire. It would have to pass some inspections but it could run
            Last edited by Guest; 01-07-2011, 04:34 PM. Reason: added more to

Comment

Bill, your opening post has to be one of the oddest things I've read on here.

The last track day I did was on a prepped '06 GSXR750.
              I took a few scalps and was feeling pretty cool until a bloke on some old slab sided touring BMW (it looked like a Ducati Paso) handed me my frilly knickers in a bow.
              He was liquid smooth and I just couldn't touch him.

On the weekend, I watched Manx Nortons and G50 Matchless circle the track in mid-to-low 1.40s.

I have a mate, Frog, with a Dyna Lowrider that delivers me a bunch of reality every time I ride with him. He does things on that Harley that have me checking the gauges to make sure I am still running.

It's not the bike, it's never the bike.It's the rider.
              Unless the bike is a 1927 Rudge-Whitworth.

Comment

Leigh, did you happen to see the Katana do a 1:38................... it would put him in about 8th spot on an Australian Superbike grid. For some great pictures from the Island classic go to

MCNews brings you all of the latest motorcycle news including latest bikes, race results and motorcycle reviews.

there are 6 other series of photo's in the news menu, the most interesting being the Kat and the xr69's

Comment

Yup. I saw it.
                  Steve Martin should have a factory ride.

The MCNEWS photos are great.
                  Better than what I managed to grab but he probably wasn't as drunk/hungover/shaky as me

Comment

I have to agree with Leigh.......if I may Leigh

I have been to a few track days and yep, some of the guys on newer bikes do get a reality check with some of the older riders on bikes that are suited to their age (classics)….

There is nothing more indulgent then to watch a GS1000 with a guy in gravel rashed leathers squirm, shake and wobble through a corner passing a GSXR1000 on the outside thats ridden by a Fox sponsored Generation Y…..
                    I know who has the bigger cojones

Biking is not in the wallet…..it’s in the blood!

(It seems us guys down under beg to differ.. )
                    Last edited by Guest; 01-28-2011, 05:25 AM.

Comment

Agree away, mate..
                      I will chuck in a 'yeah, but' right here though.

I don't think it's the rider's age either.
                      I know a young bloke with an evil old Kwaka 750 that will fold your mirrors forward on his way passed for you.
                      I quite enjoy seeing him clean up around the outside.

Comment

Again I have to agree Leigh…… about the age factor…..

Though I was commenting in general from my experience as an “old timer” when making reference to Gen Y…

Track day and you know…..
                        the younger fit looking guy on a flash new bike commenting to he’s mates about the old weathered looking guy on the old weathered bike “his just going to slow me down”… then on the track Fox man is passed…again and again and again…by that same weathered guy...

that’s the indulging part!

Most Gen Y’s don’t have egos and most Super bike riders and Grand Prix riders are Gen Y anyway, I would be ignorant to think age is a major factor….
                        my comment is purely of an individual experience from the humorous side of life…. Societies Ego’s!

Like I mentioned before….my opinion on this is

“Biking is in the blood….not in the wallet”

Comment

Some days being a fifty year old on a 25 year old bike is freakin hilarious, it is even more fun when ya do it on yer daughters CB250..............

edit: I'll be living in Mount Gambier again next year so it is time to get the bits together for a P5 runner, has anybody ever race a 650 Katana for a laugh, I'd be interested to find out
                          Last edited by Guest; 01-28-2011, 07:15 AM.

Comment

So, I see some hope…

Glad to hear this about it all really being about the rider and not the vintage of his bike.
                            I think I'll try to find me a fixer-up Brough Superior SS100.
                            "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                            1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                            1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                            1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by GEE-S View Post
                              Again I have to agree Leigh…… about the age factor…..

Though I was commenting in general from my experience as an “old timer” when making reference to Gen Y…
                              Yeah, I got ya mate. It's nice to put one over on the pups every now and then.

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                              Glad to hear this about it all really being about the rider and not the vintage of his bike.
                              I think I'll try to find me a fixer-up Brough Superior SS100.
                              Oh? So it's Buffalo Bill Gates now is it?

Why not, eh? A track day on a Brough would be... interesting.
                              But not impossible.
                              Even this bloke passed a couple of bikes on Sunday..

(ok, ok, it was in the parade lap)

Comment

Check out Mr. Mercer on his CB350 (Pretty much a well tuned, stock cb350).

Fast Forward to about 3:40 to get past the warm up lap
                                CB350 camera bike is gridded at the back of the field of 20 other Hondas in the Sportsman350 class. The two classes in the preceding wave are 350GP and Vint...

If they can go this fast on 350's, we should be able to be fine at a track day with our larger I4's

Comment

Working...
                                X