Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vintage, not fast enough for Track days?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mlinder View Post
    Check out Mr. Mercer on his CB350 (Pretty much a well tuned, stock cb350).

Fast Forward to about 3:40 to get past the warm up lap
    CB350 camera bike is gridded at the back of the field of 20 other Hondas in the Sportsman350 class. The two classes in the preceding wave are 350GP and Vint...

If they can go this fast on 350's, we should be able to be fine at a track day with our larger I4's
    Nice race!

This GS1000 sounded amazing at Willow Springs. Gotta love the sound of the big inline aircooled 4s.

Georege Beavers IV Wins WSMC Vintage Heavyweight Class in April 2009 on his 1981 Suzuki GS1000 Vintage Superbike
    Last edited by Guest; 03-06-2011, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Last event I went to was an "all in" type thing. Engines had to be external mods only, suspension had no limit, and bikes were classed in power/weight ratio groups (dyno'ed before the event). There were a lot of GS's and CB's out whooping up on SV's and such.

Comment

Torque Monster…

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
        Nice race!

This GS1000 sounded amazing at Willow Springs. Gotta love the sound of the big inline aircooled 4s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LIpgxvmq7U
        Roar!
        He didn't have to do much shifting, with all that torque.
        Bill
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Leigh View Post

It's not the bike, it's never the bike.It's the rider.
          Unless the bike is a 1927 Rudge-Whitworth.
          Exactly!

I used to work at NJMSP, on bike weeks.

If you've never been on the track, don't worry it's NOT this HUGE competition like you think....
          It's much more relaxed, you just ride at your own pace.

There are also different classes(beginner, mid and advanced)

The only time people are racing is on Event days.(usually)
          Most flaggers or staff will pull you off the track if you race too aggressive on Non-Event days.

It's mostly just about getting out and having fun.

--------

I think any 550 or 650 gs and Up would be plenty for track days.

I've seen larger CC Enduros out on the track, lapping "crotch rockets" all day long.
          It was rather Funny watching a guy sitting almost straight-up on the seat and he's just roaring past sport bikes and they are all Leaning forward, lol!
          (obviously the enduro operator had more experience)
          Last edited by Guest; 03-10-2011, 01:26 PM.

Comment

see the link i posted today in the GS Meeting Place..looks like a great weekend.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Njmsp

Hey V8 Merc

I've always wondered how those track days worked at NJMSP. I've been there a few times to do the Kart racing, which is a ton of fun, but it would be neat to get out there on a bike. Do you have any information you could send my way about this?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Tom View Post
                Hey V8 Merc

I've always wondered how those track days worked at NJMSP. I've been there a few times to do the Kart racing, which is a ton of fun, but it would be neat to get out there on a bike. Do you have any information you could send my way about this?

Thanks
                Alright, sent you a PM.
                (good thing I did too....because I ended up typing a lot, lol)

Comment

It depends, a seasoned vintage racer on a fast vintage bike will have little problem with the average street racer on a modern bike except maybe on long straights. AHRMA is a great place to run your vintage bike they have novice production classes to learn in. and a good race school.
                  Last edited by Guest; 01-06-2017, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Necrothreadmancer!
                    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                    1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                      It's a bummer, but the fact is most vintage bikes are too slow to be on the track with new bikes. So not many owners bring them. A race prepared GS1000 I'm sure would be fast enough, but plenty of doubt for a 750 or smaller.
                      I wonder if there are track days for vintage and small displacement bikes, anybody know?
                      Bill
                      I don't see a problem. I've had friends do trackdays on Ninja 250s, no issues. I once did a couple of sessions on an 11hp DR-Z125 that I'd motarded. Granted, I went out with the C (slowest) group, but I was not the slowest guy out there.
                      '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Nothing better than being old and grey(the person) and riding a old bike around the new kids on there Jetsons themed bikes. They come over and look at your bike afterwards and are clueless that its older than they are and their Gixxers grandpa. And then there's the guys on supermotards that go around me like I was dragging a boat anchor. As far as track days, just do it! Find what the local tracks allow and build a bike that they have classes for. It is seriously addictive and will make you better street rider.
                        Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                        Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                        Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                          Necrothreadmancer!
                          Well crap, I didn't notice the OP date.
                          '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
                            Well crap, I didn't notice the OP date.
                            Don't worry about the OP date, that's squid talk.
                            "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                            1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                            1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                            1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                              Don't worry about the OP date, that's squid talk.

You know better now, right?

Comment

I've been doing trackdays on the same bike for 17 years.
                                Lately I've been riding with some near seniors on newer machinery, telling me I need to upgrade to a newer bike.
                                They maybe right, but I'm having as much fun as some dude on S1000RR with electronics, suspension and tires to dumb down the riding experience.
                                How fun can it really be if the bike is doing everything for you?
                                I think that is what makes riding an old bike fast on the track most enjoyable.
                                Most everyone else are riding bikes where a computer (ECU) is monitoring your every move, trimming fuel, retarding timing, limiting outright acceleration, where we're justing twisting the throttle, trying to manage a flexy frame, questionable brakes, bias narrow tires and ultra long wheelbase.
                                GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Working...
                                X