Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vintage, not fast enough for Track days?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GregT View Post
    Well done. I'd heard about the Steve Baker test track, lol. Might have been in an interview with a UK magazine.

I still think you were a tad lucky to get away with the freeze-up as you have. We saw a lot of grey imports from japan with condensation and freeze damage from sitting outside for sometimes years before shipping here. Typically the bearing shells, being porous, absorb water - and when it freezes, a blister forms and pops off the bearing surface. The sharp edges of this pit act to strip the oil film - and very quickly, it's stuffed.
    The GSXR1000 I stripped post freeze recently, I soaked the shells in methylated spirit to remove any water that may have been absorbed.
    I didn't even know what freeze plugs were, until this happened, being an aircooled guy all these years.
    The two trackday control riders who came over to say my day was done, said you're head gasket is shot & airbox is probably filled with oil.
    Apparently the ambulance for the trackday was late, so the morning sessions were shortened.
    I came into the pits (3 laps) and one of the control riders came in behind saying " holy sht" you're bike is smoking like crazy.
    I had no idea at that moment anything was wrong.
    Hopped of the bike and cappacino film all over the frame, milky sight glass, spewage in the fairing lower, slippery stuff all over swingarm, rear tire.
    They had to send out a brushing vehicle to clean up my mess, though all of it was off the racing line. Guilt for sure.

The airbox was completely dry, but the underside of the gas tank had spewage from somewhere.
    When I removed the cam cover, 4 outta 5 freeze plugs were free of their home.
    The 5th plug had creeped up to the top, but was still level and in place.
    I bought some 22mm Chinese freeze plugs at Oreiilly's Auto Parts, feeling skeptical.
    Later discovered the thermosat housing cracked spewing the milk underneath the gas tank.
    Also the water pump shaft connected to the oil pump snapped at some point, found that in the sump.

After the repairs, I rode it as hard as I was able to and it survived the day, me included.
    Honestly thought a corner worker would be pointing a black flag at me.
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Was the waterpump seized ? Can't see how that cross shaft could have broken any other way unless it still had ice in the pump when it was started.

Some of those engines used in sidecars use that shaft to drive an external dry sump pump - which is a lot of load - without trouble.

Comment

AHRMA rules…

I've been emailing and phoning members of the AHRMA staff, and got this email from an AHRMA member of the 2nd Generation Superbike rules committee about the eligibility of my bikes, (GSX750F Katana, and CBR600F1) :
        "The 600cc are not allowed yet. They are working on a class for it on the future. I'm going to call them about the Suzuki. I see no reason it shouldn't be allowed.
        I'll get back to you on that.
        Thank you!"

This cool, I have a lot of knowledge and skill acquired the hard way, about how to make a Katana fast.
        But I'd rather go smaller, lighter and older.
        Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 06-24-2019, 09:16 PM.
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Working...
        X