How robust is the GS850 shaft drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How robust is the GS850 shaft drive?

I have had several bikes during my life time. Mostly chain drives.
    A couple of years ago I bought a 1100 Honda Spirit. This was my first bike with a shaft. I was not happy with all of the "shaft slap" or whatever they call it.
    Every time the speeds got to a below a certain point you had this annoying slapping action that encouraged you to shift gears. I was not happy with this drive train.
    I traded this bike for a new Vstar 1300 tourer with a belt. I like this drive system much better.
    Some time in the interim I picked up my one owner, 15K mi. 82 GS850G.
    I would not have believed that there could be so much difference in two shaft drives. The 850 shaft drive is strong and silent. It never lashes or clunks. The bike will happily pull itself along at 30 mph. on flat roads in high gear. This bike is fun to ride in the twisties prevalent in my area.
    So my question. How tough is this shaft drive? Will it withstand burnouts and even he occasional wheelie. Is all of this a very bad idea.
    I hope to get a lot of feedback on this question.

Thanks

You've got an '82? That means it has the weak link driven spline(edited, thanks for fixing the blank spot in my head) in the rear wheel. It'll have the gold colored one if it hasn't already been replaced. You really don't want to do burnouts with it. The standard replacement is to find one from an 80-81 (black in color) or buy a new replacement from Z-1 or Partshark or a dealer, it'll be silver in color. Then it'll stand up to more abuse. I can't see a reason to do a burnout though, I value the money I spend on tires and drivetrain. JMHO.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-04-2011, 02:31 PM.

Comment

There's a lot of information concerning these specific gold-colored hub splines. I just installed new tires and checked mine to determine the condition. Results are posted here:

Place your 4 cylinder GS engine, drivetrain or clutch related questions in this forum.
      1982 GS1100GL Citrus County, FL

a rare outsider and was only built until 1983. Who still has one, it gives her so little.

Comment

It isn't a gear that is weak, it is a spline. The spline is a maintenance part, and easy to change when you put a tire on the bike. It should be cleaned and lubricated when tires are changed. Even with poor maintainance it is likely to last two to three times the miles you currently have on yours.

A new one is around one hundred dollars.
        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

These are a pretty decent set up and pretty durable besides the weak spline, I don't do burnouts with my 1000[same drive system] but the occasional wheelie is not out of the question, my 1000 lifts actually quite easily,even when not trying.
          1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
          80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
          1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
          83 gs750ed- first new purchase
          85 EX500- vintage track weapon
          1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
          “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
          If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

The rear spline is the sacrificial part of the drivetrain. It's designed to be that way. Normal riding, hole shots and wheelies are going to wear on the drivtraine parts, the spline is designed to fail before any more "important" pieces do. Just check it everytime you change to rear tire or if you just got the bike.
            Larry D
            1980 GS450S
            1981 GS450S
            2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Hi,

The GS850G is not meant for burnouts and wheelies. It is a stately kind of machine.

Yes, the '82 models had a softer rear wheel spline than the earlier models. But they are easy to replace. Be sure to check it for wear soon and replace if necessary. Use Honda Moly 60 paste on it. It's just about the best stuff to lubricate and protect the gears back there. If you don't abuse it, these bikes will last over 100,000 miles before any major work needs to be done.

This is a new "silver" spline next to a worn "golden" spline.

This is the 1980 spline (dark) which were also used in '79 and '81.

This is our favorite juice to use on the rear spline gears.

For more information, also see: Rear Wheel Removal.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
              Last edited by Guest; 04-04-2011, 05:55 PM.

Comment

As Cliff mentioned it is not really a "wheelie or burnout type machine" unless you enjoy replacing spline hubs and hopefully no other drive train parts. It is a bullet proof roller crank type motor and will run forever if properly maintained. Quite a few here think it is the best all around bike of the GS series. It is also a pretty decent gravel and creek fording machine as seen here.

82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
                81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
                83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
                06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
                AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

Originally posted by twr1776 View Post
                  As Cliff mentioned it is not really a "wheelie or burnout type machine" unless you enjoy replacing spline hubs and hopefully no other drive train parts. It is a bullet proof roller crank type motor and will run forever if properly maintained. Quite a few here think it is the best all around bike of the GS series. It is also a pretty decent gravel and creek fording machine as seen here.

Ughh, all of the cleaning I would have to do afterwords LOL.

Comment

They are bullet proof, as long as you have the hard splines installed, mine still look new and I have pulled more than my fair share of wheelies on my GS1000G.
                    But drive train aside, wheelies on a big heavy bike like the G is not good for the fork seals, and will pop them with continued abuse, the front end was not designed to take the weight of the bike coming down like that.
                    Hammers the crap out of the steering head bearings as well, when I took mine out now, they have visable grooves in them from the rollers being hammered against the races.
                    Last edited by Guest; 04-05-2011, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                      They are bullet proof, as long as you have the hard splines installed, mine still look new and I have pulled more than my fair share of wheelies on my GS1000G.

Heretic! Sacrilege! Thirty-nine lashes with a wet noodle!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

The shafties are very strong.

A lot of people here have wheelied 'em (myself included)
                        Or burned out in 'em.

It's no dedicated stunt bike! But the occasional wheelie or burnout aint gonna hurt nothin!

The front end on mine practically drifts up on it's own, if I happened to punch it too hard, or leaning back farther than normal.

But if that's what you're asking, then Yes, the GS shafts are WAY stronger than most of the it's competitors.

And like the other Poster said, these bikes are off-road beasts!
                        Haha......well to an extent......but they do well in water, and on dirt.

Comment

Sorry Cliff , I guess we were all young and stupid at one stage.
                          I will take my lashes like a man, Fettuccini please.
                          Actually I am embarassed at the abuse she had to endure on the odd occasion, but just like mans best friend, she never let me down or disappointed me once, ...................................bet you don't know what top speed a stock GS1000G will get to in first gear.

Hat -> Coat -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> Door
                          Last edited by Guest; 04-06-2011, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X