Rear wheel options for GS 1000 ST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear wheel options for GS 1000 ST

In the search of the perfect handling GS 1000 ST I tried different rear wheels.
    This might interest someone or the other?
    For the rear wheel, the GS 1000 ST comes with an 18 inch wheel with a very narrow 120/90 tyre.
    The good (?) news is that you can fit a GS 1150 wheel in the GS 1000 as long as you use the rear caliper from the 1150.
    The wheel I bought carried a 140/80*17 tyre.
    A huge difference when seen on the bike...
    More importantly, the 1150 wheel weighs less than the GS 1000 S wheel at 15.1 kg vs 15.8 kg
    sigpicJohn Kat
    My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
    GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

I am going with the 130/90-17 on the 1100E rim on mine.
    I like a little more ground clearance for turns.

Daniel

Comment

If you googled more you notice the EFE's in Oz and some other countrys came with nice 3.50x18 rear wheels. Be way better for handling as the 17's are a touring type option. Not too fussed on the 16" fronts. And that rear wheels IS NOT a Efe wheel sorry to say. they should be the same pattern as that front wheel. Unless you took the wrong picture.
      Last edited by Guest; 06-09-2011, 05:21 PM.

Comment

That 3.5 x 17 rear wheel will match the stock wheel for diameter pretty close if a 140/90 tire is used. Seems like a good option, and matching fronts are available too which are a direct bolt on to an ST.
        Last edited by Nessism; 06-10-2011, 09:19 AM.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

HTML Code:
          And that rear wheels IS NOT a Efe wheel sorry to say. they should be the same pattern as that front wheel.
          In France the GS 1100's ( called GSX 1100) all came with this spoke pattern since the GSX 1100 EZ and later on the EE-EFE-EFF and EFG.
          The Cycle magazine of May 84 shows an 1150 ESE with that same wheel.
          As for the matching front wheel, I would have liked to use the GSX R "slabbie" 18" wheel but Posplayer says it won't fit?
          What exactly doesn't fit I don't know.
          On my Katana 1100 I have the same pattern wheels in 17" rear and 19" front.
          sigpicJohn Kat
          My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
          GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

All due respect to Plosplayer, why did he say it wouldnt fit. Basically any wheel should fit any bike. ATM i putting a VTR1000 front wheel in my CR500 and these two things have very differant wheels in them that i personally have modded....

The Kat has EFE front end with spoked wheels and the GS1000 like ures has 18's all round. Have a look in here if you havent already for pics and more magazine scans

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

Originally posted by sharpy View Post
              All due respect to Plosplayer, why did he say it wouldnt fit. Basically any wheel should fit any bike. ATM i putting a VTR1000 front wheel in my CR500 and these two things have very differant wheels in them that i personally have modded....

The Kat has EFE front end with spoked wheels and the GS1000 like ures has 18's all round. Have a look in here if you havent already for pics and more magazine scans

http://s125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/sharpywheelie/
              So tell us what the minimum modification is to put an 18x2.75" 1st Gen GSXR F wheel on to a 82-83 Kat? I'm assuming the OP doesnt want to change forks and all that entails..................

Comment

Never done one but i think it wouldnt be too hard. What about a RF900 complete front end that be nice. Not working at the bike shop lately so havent any access to wheels and discs to check

Comment

Originally posted by sharpy View Post
                  Never done one but i think it wouldnt be too hard. What about a RF900 complete front end that be nice. Not working at the bike shop lately so havent any access to wheels and discs to check
                  I did a quick check, first off the fork legs are approx 0.45" wider on the 1st Gen GSXR 750/1100, also the rotor bolts holes are 6 v.s. 5 and there would be alot of work required to make a GS rotor work on a GSXR wheel.

So as a minimum going to have to brake caliper mounts; not sure why anyone would put GS rotors on a GSXR wheel, but it is probably mute as , if the rotors dont hit the fork lowers as they will be offset 0.225" per wheel based on the 0.45" noted above.

If anybody has ever bolted a 1st gen GSXR wheel straight onto a GS let me know but that would have been one of the first and most popular mods around here as if it was possible. It only works as a bolt on with the GSXR forks as well.

Comment

Just digging this up through an info search on wheels, swaps and other upgrades Indeed, the 18 inch does not go on without mods. But I managed to work out something good enough on my Katana, quite pleased with the '93 1100 Forks and brakes with 18 inch '87 rims, it really enhances the ride, and the damping and brake performance is well suited to the Katana since the 1100R weighs in pretty much the same :
                    Last edited by Guest; 05-10-2017, 10:59 PM.

Comment

neat job, nice ride

Comment

Originally posted by Katana 750 View Post
                        Just digging this up through an info search on wheels, swaps and other upgrades Indeed, the 18 inch does not go on without mods. But I managed to work out something good enough on my Katana, quite pleased with the '93 1100 Forks and brakes with 18 inch '87 rims, it really enhances the ride, and the damping and brake performance is well suited to the Katana since the 1100R weighs in pretty much the same :
                        Welcome.

Great ride and looks, excellent upgrade !
                        Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                        VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                        Bikecliff's website
                        The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Working...
                        X