Multimeter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multimeter

Going to do the quick charge test. But have never used multi before. So when you stop laughing, could someone tell me where to place the switch and which 2 holes to plug into ?
    Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
    Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
    1983 GS 750

Plug the red wire into the V/Ohm/mA and the bkac wire into the block hole.

Put your switch on the 20v one
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Certainly. I'm guessing that by 'quick charge test' you mean checking for voltage across the battery.

Red meter lead - V/Ω/mA
      Black meter lead - COM

Dial to the '20' range in the section with the 'V' wih straight and dotted lines above it (DC Volts).

Joe
      IBA# 24077
      '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
      '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
      '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Thanx guys. yes I am checking the voltage at various rpm.
        Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
        1983 GS 750

Comment

Hi,

The "V" range in the upper left quadrant is for DC voltage. The "V" in the upper right quadrant is for AC voltage. The "A" range is for amperage (current). When you test hi amperage values (there won't be any on a motorcycle) use the 10A hole at the bottom for the red test lead. The "COM" hole is for the black lead (usually ground).

The "Ω" symbol is for ohms (resistance).

Those numbers you see are the ranges, the maximum value for that setting. In other words, if you have the selector on the 2K ohms range and it reads "OL" (or some other display that let's you know your out of range), then move the selector to the next higher range and re-measure.

Didn't you get a manual with that device?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
          Last edited by Guest; 06-20-2011, 01:42 AM.

Comment

There are lots of tutorials, such as this generic one:

You might also Google for the exact manual, I did find that meter advertised.

Comment

It did come with a little sheet of paper, which was as clear as mud. However your explanations are very clear. Thankyou. I will post my results on my battery thread.
              1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy View Post
                Certainly. I'm guessing that by 'quick charge test' you mean checking for voltage across the battery.

Red meter lead - V/Ω/mA
                Black meter lead - COM

Dial to the '20' range in the section with the 'V' wih straight and dotted lines above it (DC Volts).

Joe

maybe this............
                Do a Quick_Test

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy View Post
                  Red meter lead - V/Ω/mA
                  Black meter lead - COM
                  Note that virtually ALL of the testing you are likely to do on your bike will have you plugging the black lead into the center COM hole and the red lead into the right V/Ω/mA hole.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yes that is what I am doing, as I said I was switching threads to my "Looking for someone who knows batteries" thread.
                    1983 GS 750

Comment

Working...
                    X