GS1000 Cylinders 1 & 4 not firing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000 Cylinders 1 & 4 not firing

I have a 78 gs1000 and the 1st and 4th cylinders haven't been firing. I changed the ignition coil and that didn't work. What else could cause these 2 cylinders to not fire. Is there a fuse for it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have you checked the points?
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Hi,

There's no fuse just for those two cylinders. Check your points and condensers. See the troubleshooting guides in the Electrical Odds and Ends section of my little website.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Reverse the Coil Wires!

Hey-

Make sure your coil wires are in the proper order.

Comment

Ok I checked the points. Turns out it has the dyna ignition. It looks really new... What could go wrong here. I am pretty sure the wires are all good.

Comment

Lets see,
            Could be a number of things.
            Under the gas tank, there are four wires that feed to your coils, they are connected together with bullet splices. Two wires go to one coil and the other two wires go to the other coil.
            Swap the two wires (I would mark your wires first prior to swapping them) from one coil to the other and vice versa. Once you do that, swap plug wires (I would mark them also prior to swapping them) 1 & 2 around and then 3 & 4, so that cylinder 1 has no 2 plug wire and cylinder 2 has no 1 plug wire, cylinder 3 has 4 plug wire and no. 4 cylinder has no 3 plug wire.
            Then see if the problem stays with 1 & 4 or goes to 2 & 3.

I actually did this today on my GS1000, bike seemed to run better after I did it.
            sigpic
            Steve
            "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Check the actual wire going into both the male and female connectors.It may look fine but be broken and not attatched fully to the connector.. easy to cut and replace the ends. Unplug the black wire coming out of the coil and turn on the key and check for voltage coming out of the coil..if none then the coil is shorted internally. Replace the coil.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
              X