VM carbs - fuel pilots broken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VM carbs - fuel pilots broken

As the title says.... Tore my VM carbs down this morning, to find 2 (so far) of the fuel pilot screws broken. This might explain the richness lol

Is there a known/proven way to get the tips out of the carb bodies? I saw the sharpened awl method but I don't see how that'd work on the VMs. Any help is much appreciated!

I think I heard some guy has a website where you can find that info

1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Tons if info in the search function on this exact problem as well. Just for your info I picked up new fuel screws for my 850 VM carbs from Z1, they came in the carb rebuild kits they sell. Not sure if they are the same size for you 550 or not but worth looking at their site. Make sure you dip and clean those carbs properly, it's all in the link BigT gave you.
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I actually read that info weeks ago, and for some reason thought it was for the CV carbs.

Now I'm trying to figure out where to get these screws from. I have 4 rebuild kits, but they don't include the pilot fuel screw... Just the pilot air screw. I've looked at the manual from Basscliffs site and the exploded view on Bikebandit.com, and neither show the pilot fuel screw... Just the pilot air screw. This makes it difficult to get a part number and call local shops. I also didn't see the pilot fuel screw on Z1s site, or Bike Bandit. I read somewhere that I could sharpen my broken ones, but I'd rather have new ones if possible.

Comment

ya I've never seen the fuel screw on a parts fiche either, it was a glitch that happened for some reason, so ordering from Suzuki is virtually impossible. Here's the link for a 1979 GS750 carb rebuild kit, it's not your bike but the fuel screw might be the same, I have no idea though. You'll have to do some searching on here or ask around, I've never torn apart a 550 before.

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.
          Rob
          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Thanks! Those gaskets look identical to mine. I'll start checking it out. I really do not want to have to order 4 new carb kits though. That's $100 for 4 little screws. Honestly at that point, I may as well look into converting to EFI lol

Comment

Saw this...

price looks good considering I spent about 22 bucks a piece on mine.. plus shipping, from Z1. I will say, Z1 has great service and the most bang for the buck when it comes to parts in the kit. I saw some kits for 20 bucks that were no more than gaskets and a couple orings....

my 2 cents
              -Mark
              Boston, MA
              Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
              sigpic
              1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Comment

I had the same issue on a GS 1000 with VM 26 carbs.
                In the end I bought a set of carbs and replaced the damaged one as the fuelscrew is NOT sold as a separate item...
                I managed to help a guy from Belgium with the same issue by selling him one of the spare carbs.
                If you have the same carbs,tell me which one is defective and I will tell you if I still have that carb?
                sigpicJohn Kat
                My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
                GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

Some people have had good luck resharpening them
                  1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                  1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                  1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                  1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                  1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                  1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                  2007 DRz 400S
                  1999 ATK 490ES
                  1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by mvalenti View Post
                    Saw this...

price looks good considering I spent about 22 bucks a piece on mine.. plus shipping, from Z1. I will say, Z1 has great service and the most bang for the buck when it comes to parts in the kit. I saw some kits for 20 bucks that were no more than gaskets and a couple orings....

my 2 cents
                    Those don't include the pilot fuel screws. Just the pilot air screws

Originally posted by John Kat View Post
                    I had the same issue on a GS 1000 with VM 26 carbs.
                    In the end I bought a set of carbs and replaced the damaged one as the fuelscrew is NOT sold as a separate item...
                    I managed to help a guy from Belgium with the same issue by selling him one of the spare carbs.
                    If you have the same carbs,tell me which one is defective and I will tell you if I still have that carb?
                    I've got VM24s. I'm not sure if they're the same for the pilot fuel screws. Still trying to find out.

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                    Some people have had good luck resharpening them
                    If I can't find new ones for a decent price, I'll try that but I'd really rather have new ones.

Thanks guys.

Comment

See azr's post
                      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                      79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

The early 550's used VM22 carbs, which use the same fuel screws as the VM26's.
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to find someone on here that would be willing to go in on a set of rebuild kits from Z1, you keep the fuel screws they get the rest... just ask around.
                          Rob

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                            I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to find someone on here that would be willing to go in on a set of rebuild kits from Z1, you keep the fuel screws they get the rest... just ask around.
                            I went ahead and ordered the 750 kits, and I'll be returning the 3 550 kits I didn't open. The remainder of the 750 kits will be up for sale in the classifieds.

Thanks for the help guys.

Comment

I am in the process of restoring my GS1000EN Mikuni VM26 back to stock form. I found a couple of broken pilot fuel screws and followed Hoomgar's write up and removed the broken tips. I sent an email to Motorcyclecarbs.com for replacement pilot fuel screws. Wondering is there any other source for just the VM 26 pilot fuel screw?
                              1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
                              Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

Working...
                              X