anyone go for a ride today? Pics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
    I got caught cranking on the Kanc. I didn't notice the guy half way through the turn and CLICK... HAHAH

(Laconia) Bike week has been a blast, Living out of my back pack for now. Racking as many miles as I can... I will be hitting 5K miles on the new Harley by the end of the weekend. It has some flaws but all in all this bike has been very good to me. It also is a great bike to just shed miles out on.

Getting poured on right now so I'm doing some forum surfing then once we break 60' I'll be getting the rain gear on and finding some dry spots. Think I'll head over to Lake placid, Less rain in the forecast

Whaaaatttt??????!!! Hardley-Ableson FINALLY figured out that they are missing out on massive sales by not making anything resembling a good cornering machine????
    I rode with a guy who had a new Sportster with inverted forks. I was impressed. Until he was profusely apologizing for almost crashing in front of me in Cherokee National Forest when he hit a little dip in the road at the full lean angle of the bike and scraped exhaust very hard... full lean angle with the Harley exhaust/footpegs/overall very minimal cornering clearance was still not a very aggressive lean angle... and the thing was still fairly heavy... BUT... I guess I can't talk trash about 100% of Hardley-Ableson's new bikes anymore, darnit!!!!
    Most people around here in Ohio either have sport bikes or Harley cruisers that just don't seem like much fun for an adrenaline junkie such as myself to ride. My rides on FXR's and late 1990's early 2000's Sportsters left a whole lot to be desired. The Sporty wasnt that bad but not my idea of ideal. The FXR rides made me feel like I was riding a 60 year old bike that had a few hundred pounds of lead weights hidden in it somewhere!!! Only good power off the line then rapidly dies off to a weak cough... 1337cc 56hp 98mph top speed when perfectly tuned (vs GS550 548cc 51hp 450lbs way way faster way better stopping and cornering STOCK!) no brakes, no handling, no cornering clearance! My wife laid the 86 FXR down while following me on a North Carolina mountain road on a stretch that I was going much slower than usual on... frightening to corner aggressively on! The last person I'd want on an ill handling machine following me on a twisty mountain road... but she wouldn't listen to me (on the novelty bike purchase, after running her gs550 out of oil)

Finally a Harley that is Chuck-proof.... hahaha
    sorry for the negative attitude on the harley brand, but it is definitely something I boycott! The whole harley culture and "Biker" culture, not my idea of fun on two wheels. Lets ride some killer SE Ohio twisties in 4 weeks, Justin!!!!
    Last edited by Chuck78; 06-16-2017, 11:36 PM.
    '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
    '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
    '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
    '79 GS425stock
    PROJECTS:
    '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
    '77 GS550 740cc major mods
    '77 GS400 489cc racer build
    '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
    '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

FUN TIMES IN MAY 2017! (that's me in the black leathers and GS)

US129 was definitely worth all the hype... just have to hit it on off hours on weekdays, and wait to enter the good part of the road until no slow vehicles have entered for several minutes...

I ground a flat spot on my exhaust collector mostly from that trip, even after making a new bracket to torque the pipe up higher for more clearance. I immediately ordered a new Delkevic high clearance stainless steel straight muffler road race style pipe after getting home, and re-evaluated my shock length (need longer, swingarm angle is flat when powering out of turns, I did not realize this until I had photos taken of me riding for me to scrutinize!)
      '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
      '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
      '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
      '79 GS425stock
      PROJECTS:
      '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
      '77 GS550 740cc major mods
      '77 GS400 489cc racer build
      '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
      '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Haha yeah you can't. My Street-Rod 750 SMOKED my brother's Road Glide flat out. We touched them off on the interstate and It's nothing to bury the 120mph speedo.I flew by him and kept after it... Taking the stock muffler off woke this thing up.

This thing shines in the twisties. It's not a fast Motorcycle but it is a good handling one.

I think Hardley held back a touch on this one so it doesn't "outperform" the new (more expensive) Sporster-Roadster. But the handling and power delivery are night and day. I keep my XG in the upper revs 5-6K and bring it to it's 9K redline quite often. More SV sounding the a Harley in that room band.

129 is awesome! I plan to hit it on my way back from Ohio. Just need to find a riding mate.
        Jedz Moto
        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
        1988 Honda GL1500-6
        2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
        2020 Honda Monkey Z125
        2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
        Originally posted by Hayabuser
        Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Sunday night..... the best night of the week regarding all things traffic related, as in very quiet. Took a ride out to get rid of some crabbiness.... I saw what I thought would be a cool pic over the winter picking up my son from a friends house. It turned out not as good tonight with background streetlights now on killing off the vibrant blue.

Hit the empty highway out and cruised in the 1150's 75-80 mph sweet spot there. Smelled some sweet ocean air, then meandered the back roads home. A nice calming ride. Now enjoying some Father's Day Shiraz and listening to Brant Bjork's Jalamanta CD. A nice weekend ender.
          Last edited by dorkburger; 06-18-2017, 11:58 PM.
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Nothing spectacular, just a shortish ride with a fellow from one of the local fb groups. It was both fun and educational. And by educational, i mean that i learned very quickly how the m109r is not the kz1000 or gs650g i started riding on, mostly cause of the real-estate the rear tire takes up

Comment

Been to blasted hot to do any decent riding here. 11 straight days so far in the 100's.
              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                Been to blasted hot to do any decent riding here. 11 straight days so far in the 100's.
                Pretty toasty here too!

A short ride in the heat helped to reveal a nasty oil leak from my valve/ cam cover. I had just scrubbed and cleaned the bike on Saturday. Should have left the crud, maybe it held back the leak Guess my next valve check will happen a little earlier than planned.
                Roger

Current rides
                1983 GS 850G
                2003 FJR 1300A
                Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

it is my friday and tomorrow gonna escape 110 f ,mountains 10 miles away. and ride trials bike up at 8500-10000(50-60f) elevation and if i get hot lay in snow drift,
                  snow is melting fast, may only be around till end of June this year..
                  ...dumb tourists out in the desert are cooking hot and getting attacked by gnats and biting flies...hehe

Comment

Justin & my ride home last Sunday from Brown County Rally.

For the ride home From Bedford IN to home (about 380 miles) Justin and I agreed for the ride home sunday "No I-65".
                    So he plotted a route thru a lot of back roads.

(Used Sandys trick to get this photo.)

Stopped at a gas station. Was about to start filling up when other folks walked bye with a 2 year old (my guess) that was looking at me, so I waved, and he stopped and wave back, and was looking at the bike. When I was finishing up, they were walking back out and the kid waved again, so I asked them "You think he would like to sit on the bike?". So they picked him up and sat him on the bike, while I guided his shoes away from the gas tank. THE kid seemed a bit uncertain at first, then smilled. I asked if want to "beep the horn?" and turned bars, and pointed to the button, and he pushed it and laughed. The other folks taking his picture.
                    (Justin was a sneaky guy, and got a picture without me noticing.)

Maybe give some folks a different idea of motorcyclists other than the obnoxious loud bikers.
                    I suggest some/many of you can do that also, I have been for a few years now. Although if kiddo gets scared will start kicking about time his feet/shoes are at the tank, so I will have the folks pick up the kid, and I hold each foot with a hand, while they lower the kid to the seat.
                    Probably would be better to put the bike on the center stand.

We continued on and stopped to take a break (visit a bush) at a rural intersetion somewhere near Logansport.
                    Justin's route was to go out further east, and I was intending on going more direct north, so here is where we parted ways.

I Continued north on local roads and state highways north to near SOuth Bend, then took US31 home.
                    Last edited by Redman; 06-19-2017, 08:04 PM. Reason: spulling

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Dave, you're a good man! I haven't had a chance like that but since you mentioned it I'll look for one.

I did see a toddler in one of those old coin op car rides outside a store a while back. He was trying his best to push start the thing but it was "stuck". I made it un-stuck for him and dropped in a quarter.

I am envious of your riding with your son. Maybe someday we'll get that chance. Mine's a loose cannon. Have to put him on a vespa or maybe a Honda Rebel!
                      Roger

Current rides
                      1983 GS 850G
                      2003 FJR 1300A
                      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                        I am envious of your riding with your son. Maybe someday we'll get that chance. Mine's a loose cannon. Have to put him on a vespa or maybe a Honda Rebel!
                        Yes, Is special. We may not really talk much, but is a good memory.

>>later note.
                        The more I think of it, that was special. Made a photo collage of us on the trip.

Last edited by Redman; 06-25-2017, 05:14 PM.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Did get out this afternoon. To a steam engine/ antique tractor show. And a Patriot Guard mission this evening.
                          Stopped here on a bridge to watch the creek flow for a while.

Comment

Thanks for sharing the pics.
                            I haven't gone riding anywhere lately. Too hot here in southern Utah. 109-113 for several days now.
                            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE View Post
                              Thanks for sharing the pics.
                              I haven't gone riding anywhere lately. Too hot here in southern Utah. 109-113 for several days now.
                              Man, it rained here and we're at 71 degrees. Super nice night to ride.
                              Roger

Current rides
                              1983 GS 850G
                              2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                                Maybe give some folks a different idea of motorcyclists other than the obnoxious loud bikers..
                                Like the asshat I saw today. In the cage with my 2 yo daughter driving home from my parents house. Driving in front of two gentlemen on victory cruisers, nice bikes in their own right, and a fast approaching hardley behind them. I hit a red light. Victory guys stop behind me, asshat stops behind them for a second. Notices they ain't hardleys and he pulls around pass them and passed me. Takes his hands down off the ape bars that sit 6" above his shoulder line, adjusts his 12" long rat tail hanging down out of his skull cap helmet, lights a cigarette, then glances over at the victory guys who have now made their way into left lane next to me in order to turn left. Barely acknowledges them then races off when the light changes, pipes blaring! 1/4 mile down, a bagged streetbike approaches in opposite direction and waves... douche nozzle has his left hand off the bars and down at his waist cause the smoke stick is too good to give up, no wave back...

Comment

Working...
                                X